Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Innocent

no but, that's not how the law works. People seem to think they can dream up their own laws and then execute the person without a trial because they are right.

Do I like what the guy done? no. Does that mean he is guilty of anything? No

Should his life be ruined by this? no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Admitting one part is inaccurate is not admitting lying, just like not claiming innocence is not automatic guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

well it depends if anything new comes out in the wash, would you like your 17 year old daughter or sister having physical relations with a 27 year old man ? It's not right in my opinion no matter what the law says but i'd be surprised if there isn't more to come from other girls or boys who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Agree, but because it is not against the law it should have never hit the public domain.

It is very annoying that the person who made up the claim name is not tarnished but the victim of the false claim is. He has to be able to sue somebody for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So you are making up your own laws now because the ones in place don't suit you

Plus not happy with that you are try to hint that he is lying so starting more rumours.

It would seem been innocent means nothing these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 assumptions there which have an air of masquerading as fact.

It could have been a symptom of the of the movement, it could also be something more nefarious given she is diverting blame to unnamed third parties, I read some of the original allegations this morning, it is more of a polished essay than a cry for help IMHO, but again that could have just been the way it came out. But I would have my doubts.

The second assumption is grossly unfair and inaccurate, the idea that the guards would just dismiss her extremely serious allegation of sexual crime outright is not true. They are obliged to take it seriously and at least do a preliminary investigation whatever the perceived relationship or time frame.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rubbish, most traveller women are married at seventeen so talk of someone being a child is nonsense

A century ago many non traveller women in Ireland were married at seventeen and often to husbands twenty seven

I never liked him but his character was egregiously trashed

i thought he chose not to reveal the name ? i could be wrong please enlighten me if i am ! Who knows what deal has been done in the backround

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hynesie08 threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I'm open to correction here,just trying to remember the story as it was...didnt she say initally they had a relationship when she was 16 and he would pick her up from school and bring her to the radio studio for oral sex?

So now its changed to she was 17,legal and the relationship was consensual?

I remember the time this blew up and I saw on either Twitter or Reddit another anonymous account was claiming to have been raped by a high profile DJ in Ireland and had spent years trying to bring the case to court. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I know but doesn't it seem unfair.

I wonder why he chose not to reveal her name? Was it because she remembered she was a few months older than first thought and would wright a solicitor's letter stating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wonder if anyone has bought a new car or a new house lately?

Anyway, not a bad time to be releasing news into the public domain. Plenty of headlines to knock it off. Not as good timing as the start of covid but not far off

Exactly my point, there was obviously a deal done, what it entailed who knows but it doesn't smell right. But this way i'd say she's signed a non disclosure about giving anymore details in the future. Now he sues twitter and could benefit financially from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ya him getting to her admit she wasn’t under the age of consent isn’t really the win he seems to think it is.

His career is going from strength to strength

https://www.cameo.com/eoghanmcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭newhouse87

27 year old messaging a 16 year old, that's his character and its not a nice one. Glad i dont have to listen to his liberal woke bullshit anymore. Moral authority on everything the freak thought he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I was under the impression the claims first appeared on Reddit.

I'd be very surprised if the whole thing hasn't been thoroughly investigated by AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

I feel sorry for him with the impact of false allegations which must be horrendous .

This is why the courts should be the only arbiter not social media or "believe all women" campaigns.

That said given how such a woke feminist he was/is , I don't see him giving another man in his situation the benefit of the doubt.

It's up to yourself how you want to judge it. Legally, riding a girl on her 17th birthday is a world away from riding her the day before her birthday. That's just a legal line that is drawn. Most people's moral perspective isn't as binary.

• Advertisement

Also, just to add. A fella who has sex with a 17 year old can still be guilty of an offence if the fella is a person in authority.

That is usually someone like a teacher or a sports coach etc. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This sounds suspiciously like you are claiming that she was not lying when she accused him of sexual assault of a minor? Are you saying she doesn’t know her age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I wouldn't have been his biggest fan but I do think the way he was hounded when this first started on Twitter & Reddit was wrong. It was complete trial by media & making him guilty without any investigation being brought by the Gardai. Yes he was 27 & he was 17. When I was 18, I was going out with a 26 year old and was probably the more mature one. She was above the age of consent & at the time this relationship was ongoing, he wasn't exactly as well known as when it all came out.

Maybe there was and maybe there wasn't. Maybe he's actually just trying to be nice and not completely feck up her future by naming her and having that all out in the media. Maybe he is thinking of her wider family with having her name out there. Not everything has a nefarious purpose behind it. And considering that he lost his job and reputation, why shouldn't he be able to take a case against Twitter if there is enough evidence to? If I was in his shoes, I would too.

Based on my recollection of the original claims and the carefully-worded text of the retraction, he's likely still a sleaze and shouldn't be on tax-funded radio or TV.

But he's been cleared of any criminal wrong-doing and that's important to stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

He's innocent in the eyes of the law. Evidently has hired a PR company as he stages a comeback.

His behaviour none the less was very creepy and as close to the boundary as you can get. Should certainly not be given a platform.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So your best examples are a culture which is regularly slammed on here, and what used to happen 100 years ago.

Would you be happy with your 17 year old son or daughter having a physical relationship with someone 10 years older than them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

From what I remember, it was the fact that he disappeared into the night and was never heard from again, the day after the allegations were made, is what got people talking and confused people. I guess when you neither confirm or deny, but rather choose to completely disappear from public view and leave your job without as much as a goodbye or kiss my arse to your listeners, people will fill in the gaps and make up their own minds. It was his initial approach to the whole thing that had people talking and thus wondering if the allegations were in fact true, and not entirely down to the allegations themselves. For a long time there it looked like he was just never ever going to address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭GavPJ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A similar case in the US, perhaps trial by media might no longer be as commonplace in the future.

• Advertisement

So he was still grooming a 16 year old? He just had the moral high ground to wait until she was 17 to let her to give him a blowjob. What a marvellous man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement