Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Serge Lavrov- the USA is like Hilter or Napolean, thats fighting talk

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And that's where the UN proves that it's worthy of existence or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The act of Russia's invading a sovereign neighbor thousands of miles away, has nothing to do with whether an Irish politician told lies at some stage in the past. So take your whataboutery and shove it up your **** hole dipshit.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Talisman

The objective was a 15 day campaign to take the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And Russia are going to change that..

I think they will chance their arm against a Nato country but will use the likes of Belarus to do their bidding and say oh we're not involved this is a local historic conflict that needs to be settled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

One of the things I'm curious about is the Kremlin's propaganda machine and one of the dozen things I worry about in this War is the hardening of the hearts and minds of the Russian people against the West. From everything I've read, it looks like the North Koreanization of the people has begun, but with the war going badly now for the Russian army, I wonder how long more the Kremlin can stay on message ? I read in the Times this morning that Russian POWs were calling home and telling parents that the training exercises and peace-keeping drills they expected to be on were lies. Their Ukrainian captors were telling tearful mothers that they were free to come to Ukraine and collect their frightened sons and bring them home - which is a powerful image. I don't know the programming style of the official Russian news channel, but you'd imagine Russians are probably wondering where is the footage of Russians soldiers being greeted with smiles and kisses from liberated Ukrainians. Of course, Goebbels had films made in the camps of well fed Jews tending to their gardens and playing in orchestras, happy in their labour in the East, so perhaps the Kremlin has this already covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

yes, its likely to continue until China steps in, Putin has designs on linking up Transnistria and Kaliningrad with mainland Russia if nobody stops him before then, the Kaliningrad part will ignite WW3 if he goes for it but they seem to be prepared to do that, theoretically

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Yes!... got him.

Drat. Really thought we had him there.

Then went on to read it was just his waxwork being taken out of a museum - because visitors are now vandalising it. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Someone mentioned yesterday that any Russians they knew seemed to be unwilling to directly condemn the war. This is unlikely to be some latent agreement with the war and more likely to be an ingrained tendency to not express an opinion that contradicts government doctrine. Cultural memory can be strong, and Russians being "disappeared" for daring to criticise the government has been a feature of Russian life as long as anyone can remember. As a result, your typical Russian is conditioned to just say nothing if they don't want to express support.

We have a lot of vestiges of this here in Ireland - culturally it's considered ignorant and rude to discuss politics and religion in polite company. Which is a hangover from a century or more where expressing certain opinions for (or against) particular institutions could land you in hot water with the local priest or RIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Was it. If it was wouldn't they have had thrusts in to the west of Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Russia taking the piss now:

Four Russian fighter jets entered Sweden’s airspace to the east of the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea, the Swedish Armed Forces has said. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Russian embassy dublin 01 492 2048

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Basically a threat ,that's no uncommon Ive been in Copenhagen when Russian bombers were practicing low level raids directly approaching Copenhagen and then turning , Danish fighters then going super Sonic to intercept them,all regular occurances along Scandinavia , even before they invaded ukraine a Russian navy fleet sailed past gotenburg and at the same time Drone's were spotted over power stations and other government infrastructure.

Russia is a law unto themselves ,we can do whatever we want and if you try Stop us military actions will be inflicted on you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spain will send 1,370 anti-tank grenade launchers to Ukraine on Friday as part of its first shipment of offensive weapons to help against the Russian invasion.

The shipment will also include light machine guns and 700,000 rounds of rifle and machine-gun ammunition, said Spain’s Defence Minister Margarita Robles. 

Different countries have different psyches for sure, but the default is to defend your homeland.

Part of Russian propaganda for half a century is to infiltrate everything and often do nothing. They can later say "Look, we had an asset at the top" therefore undermining anything that was done.

You can target useless (not a typo) idiots on the "left" because they want any anti-government cause to cling to.

The kind of control and gaslighting in Russia can't be understated. A similar thing to my second line, the state funds opposition and infiltrates and either takes them down or shifts them into line and end up absorbing what's left.

Then there's the intellectual side of it. By lying deliberately and openly it's part of the "there is no truth" thing. Questions from the first week of a philosophy correspondence course can be fun sometimes but we even see people on here with the whole "Oh they have their stories, we have ours" as if it's an amazing insight for someone over the age of 6.

The Kremlin uses logic and semantics for, well, basically trolling. Ignore 10 things but point out something from a document from 1997 that you say you believe provides justification for what you are doing. They're off checking? Grand, by the time they get back and say that it doesn't quite say what I said and isn't really relevant anyway I'll have spouted 20 more bits of bullshit, 4 of which look like they might be true from a quick google but 20 minutes later ya realise they don't. The rest can mostly be dismissed out of hand.

The average/normal Russian likely thinks along the lines that the West are similar in psyche (weaker they likely think) but with different aims. The damage done to the psyche of hundreds of millions (just former USSR) and the deep, deep cynicism cannot be understated.

On your final point I've a whole view on that. 😂 To be completely honest I think the no politics and religion is a good guideline, not just for the night but perhaps also bigger picture. I'm getting well into my 30s now and had some changes in views in that time but it was from reading, not someone in a pub who would cry halfway through a sentence. Maybe it doesn't fully apply here (with our rainbow of similar gombeens) but in the more 2-party kind of places I find the constant discussion of politics doesn't really serve much of a function aside from often just entrenching views.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In talk anyway. They still haven't subdued Ukraine in any way and by the time that looks likely they'll have a lot more problems. It's been barely a week and their economy looks like it's beginning to shut down already. China will impress on them the need to go no further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

NATO has also invaded without the endorsement of the UN security council. (just saying)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Do you have a source for this? Someone else here said it was 2 days to get Kiev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

China holds a key position. They could end this war by throwing russia under the bus by sanctioning them like the west. Then it's game over for Putin.

Why might china do this? To end the war as it is effectiving the world and their economy more than they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Some extra info on the possible future state of the Russian aviation sector. Some common points with the twitter thread linked earlier in this thread but I did get a chuckle out of hearing that a big Aeroflot maintenance base is located in Germany. Even Russian built planes with Russian engines aren't immune from sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Thread slowing up.

People failing to accept or trying to explain away the support Putin is getting from the general populace of other countries reminds me a lot of how many regarded Trump as completely unelectable, yet he won the first election and lost the second but with more votes than any other sitting US President.

Sometimes you just have to accept that you don't understand the mindset of people. Especially those who have different values, cultures and education systems than us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have talked with one Russian since this kicked off and there's much to the above, but they broadly support the invasion. Now this particular person has more skin in the game I suppose because they have relatives in the Donbas region and the same relatives have experienced the shítshow there. Most had to leave and go to Russia. The impression I got was like in the early days of the Troubles, where Catholic houses in Protestant areas were burnt out and families fled and vice versa. On the back of that(and the background NATO/the West want to undermine Russia stuff) they did support action to take those areas, but are against the wholesale invasion of the rest of Ukraine and were unambiguously clear about that.

They also reckon their relatives back in Russia don't fully realise that their army has done much more than go beyond the Donbas region and any suggestion that they have is seen as Ukrainian/Western spin. Even that the scenes of Kyiv being hit are remote missiles not boots on the ground. On sanctions the attitude seems to be we'll dig in, we're used to that. That the more 'western' people in the Russian cities will be hit the hardest, but the 'true' Russians beyond will not notice that much of a change. Years ago I knew a Russian woman who came from the rural heartlands and she grew up with her family growing a lot of their own food, mostly only buying things like flour, very much old style make and mend and make do. Very frugle with little of the trappings of even Russian city life. She moved into a city in her teens for her schooling IIRC and she told me the culture shock was bigger than when she came to the West later on. The impression I got was that there was very much 'two Russias' and the goings on of the rest of the world, even Moscow are not that high in their concerns.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Correct.

Its kind of ironic that Putin appears to think that anybody with an alternative view to him is automatically an enemy or just wrong because that’s really how threads go in these forums.

Putins actions are evil, calling him a evil is an effort to distance ourselves from him. He’s human and he’s doing things many humans are capable of doing. He’s doing thinks other western countries have done in the name of spreading democracy.

Spreading democracy is a more noble cause, or at least that’s what we think. But the people don’t always want this “freedom” from bondage.

If we in the west could engage more in self reflection and tried to actually understand, instead of just insult and deride foreign cultures , we might actually be able to manage them better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement