Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Any atomic bombs left over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MikeR2000

Can everyone on here please phone the Russian Embassy today on 01-4922048 and lodge a protest. The line is still active and we need to shut it down and make it unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's a lovely sentiment by Guthrie, and I'm sure countless more people have expressed similar things, but we cannot ignore certain things that seem apparent about human nature and which make war/fighting an indelible part of history - something that will, sadly, always be with us. It seems that a lot of men just want to fight for a cause and get something out of that - some kind of experience or status or self worth, maybe - which they feel they cannot get elsewhere and prove themselves. Look at the foreign people signing up to go over to Ukraine. Look at the people who went to go and fight in Spain, or more recently in Syria. People fully knowing that they could die, and still going through with it.

There is, of course, a poverty argument as to some join the military and go to war, and I'm not disputing that this is the case in many instances, but when you have sports stars and even billionaire Peter Poroshenko joining the Ukrainian war effort, it's not necessarily always true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Can you give us some examples, as I agree with some of your points, but I genuinely want to know.

Also, I don't think it's up to us to manage other cultures. As far as I can tell, in the west we do try attempt to try and understand other cultures, but I don't see that reciprocated much of the time.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Mentourpilot is mistaken. Aeroflot group own 8 maintenance bases and these are all in Russia. The cost of sending their aircraft to Germany would be astronomical.

The truth is in grave danger here. Whatever Russia are up to, I am noting that you can say anything about them and their companies, be it true or not seems to be immaterial. This is a very dangerous path to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, but if China let it drag on for a bit, it will further weaken both Russia and the West and China will be in a position to take advantage of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Honestly, when Lavrov mentions nuclear in his statements, I get scared. I know there's a consensus that Russia will not draw NATO into the conflict, but with the nuclear ace up Putin's sleeve, doesn't he have a free hand to be as barbaric as possible in Ukraine ? With talk already of war crimes, isn't he now past the point of no return ? If the war is deeply personal for Putin, I'm afraid that he will destroy the country - if I can't have Ukraine, no one will, so to speak. The sanctions have been swift and merciless, but I imagine Putin and his inner circle are rich enough to remain insulated from it. Still though, with all the setbacks the Russian army is suffering, you'd imagine Putin must be very stressed and agitated now and it is frightening to think what someone with so much power running off such negative emotions could be capable of doing...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its kind of ironic that Putin appears to think that anybody with an alternative view to him is automatically an enemy or just wrong because that’s really how threads go in these forums.

Indeed. If any even slightly alternative opinion is posted it has to be qualified with "Putin is an insane maniac warmonger!!" or the post and poster is seen as a Putinbot.

Why? People prefer black and white positions because they're simpler(I have to fight to not do this myself) and people tend to react first and think later, especially when something new is hitting right now and do so as 'our group'. Look at the early days of the Covid pandemic. Same deal. Well Putin has done one good thing, much like Hitler should be praised for killing Hitler(10 years too late, but still...), Putin has killed Covid. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

F1 have now completely severed their contract with the Russians. No grand Prix for them for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

Russian's largest bank, Sberbank, is -95%. In 7 days.

In fairness the sports stars in Ukraine who are fighting aren't only fighting for and idea of Ukraine, they're fighting for their lives and the very ground beneath their feet. The mayor Klitschko will have had access to intel and if there's any accuracy whatsoever about the Russian "lists" then they will have no life left in Ukraine short of being a complete puppet if they're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Like the crisis we've just had people are posting what they find. Unless people have a very obvious bias or an ulterior motive some of that may turn out to be wrong, misheard, misunderstood or just not properly researched.

very true. we have to support those that are speaking out (even while aware that it is easy for us to call for this from the safety of Ireland). echoes of dark Russian history. How is solzhenitsyn regarded in Russia these days does anyone know? I think often of this quote:

What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, polkers, or whatever else was at hand?

• Part I The Prison Industry, Ch. 1 "Arrest" (p13, The Gulag Archipelago, Collins 1974)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Fantastic news.

Hopefully the whole Russian state is fast becoming a bankrupt basket case.

The oligarchs watching their wealth go down the swanny must be sh1tting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Announcing them on Twitter makes me think it isn't real though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are a large number of steps between Putin wanting to push the button and that button(s) being pushed. Both the US and the former USSR added more and more steps to that line during the Cold War, because of the concerns over rogue leaders, or rogue guys closer to the button. He'd have to convince not just his hardline close associates but people all the way down to those at the sharp end with the actual buttons under their fingers.

Plus during the Cold War on two occasions when the order looked like a go, it was Russians who said "hang on, nope". They've also direct experience of something like Chernobyl and the atomic genie that can't be put back in the bottle. That bankrupted the Soviet Union, was very close to getting much much worse and left a huge part of their world essentially uninhabitable for centuries. I was more concerned last week, but now unless something changes radically I can't see nukes coming into it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭StevenToast

You sound exactly like an armchair general....is "theatre" the new "wet pub" bolloxology....the next we will hear are the next 2 weeks are crucial in this war.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

The west has a terrible habit of assuming other countries and cultures want the same things we do. Like we've reached the pinnacle of society. That usually revolves around this vague notion of everyone wanting 'freedom', followed by a laundry list of material things such as the latest iphone.

There are people in the M.E for example who genuinely don't want western 'freedom'. We also look at women with face coverings and immediately assume they've been 'forced' to wear it. Sure, there are a few countries that mandate it - but plenty wear them out of choice.

We assume that the mother of a son killed in Gaza feels the same emotion as we do...because all mothers are the same. But you'll often see them interviewed in Arab media where she'll laud the death of her son and say she hopes her other sons follow in his footsteps.

Russians have always been in this limbo between east and west. It's hard to know what their identity is. They're not a liberal democracy and up until a few years ago, were not a complete dictatorship either. So what are they? truth is a large portion of them don't want what we have. Given how naval gazing western society has become with an obsession on race and gender, I don't blame countries for not wanting to import some of our bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

Russia and NATO out of Ukraine is the most reasonable solution (I'm not a Putinbot or any kind of bot.)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There comes a point where trying to understand a despot is a waste of time. We've had 20 years of Putin, he's lived a fairly charmed life in his relations with the rest of Europe given some of the sh*t he's got up to and sponsored.

We know the colour of his money now without any doubt. He wants to undermine the institutions of the west, undermine the democratic architecture, and ultimately the security of the continent - and he wants real estate.

To what end? Who gives a f*ck the why and what's rattling around his miserable skull. If you can't make Russia "great" with all the resources the word has to offer and the largest landmass in the world, you're not going to do it by going full Mussolini in Abyssinia.

He resents the EU, he resents its economic power, influence in the world and its values - he thinks it all comes at the expense of Russia and its energy cripple economy and doesn't get why the days of kowtowing to Moscow are gone and not coming back.

This war is a Putin problem, not a problem of the West trying to understand the mysterious unknowable soul of the Russian nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

NATO is no longer his problem

he'll have to trade the sanctions for NATO eventually.

he's in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, at this stage the sanctions have to stay in place until Russia withdraw from all of Ukraine, including Donbass and Crimea. And UN peacekeepers from EU countries are allowed in Ukraine all the way to the Russian border. No matter how long it takes.

No chance of getting reparations from them to rebuild Ukraine, that will have to be funded by the west. So at least make sure that Ukraine gets its massive shale gas reserves in the Donbass back.

Oh, and give Konigsberg to the Polish while we're at it.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

If Putin is demolishing this social contract, that doesn't gel with his popularity still being twice that of Biden's. Some Russians prefer an attrition position with the west than an iphone.

• Advertisement

It is a lovely sentiment. But we are hierarchical pack animals, we form tribes, and those tribes compete for power in a wider hierarchy. At the same time, the fact that we are hierarchical pack animals enables us to do amazing things, like collect samples from asteroids and convert sunlight into electrical energy.

Also there will always be bad actors that people need to be protected from. We will always need military people and force and equipment (in some form) to deal with the situations bad actors create. It's naive to think otherwise. We will always need police too.

I see peacekeepers as the ideal, to be honest, and maybe in some utopian future that is all the world will need in terms of military power. (Their job being to separate bad actors from each other and to provide humanitarian assistance.) We are very self-critical in Ireland, but we are also highly advanced in ways that we don't give ourselves enough credit for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement