Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Raffi. Yes I know I had her name somewhere in my brain. Let's not forget she was also part of that Surprise Lesbians twist nobody could have ever seen - cos the 2 characters barely interacted in the first place🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Don't forget Romulan Jaime and Cersei and Bean Uí Romuláin and her useless northerner. Hugh was there for some reason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think you might be day early unless it's out at midday today. Might want to change does work plans.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

According to the banner on my Prime Video, it's not out 'til 4th March here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

It releases (in the US) at 7:30 this morning, was waiting on my server when I was having breakfast!

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Ouch!

Why anybody watches this dreck is beyond me. Seems all you have to do is slap a babel on something and people will watch. Not me. My memory of the franchise won't be tainted by watching this drivel.

Drivel that only keeps being made because Les Moonves made a bad deal. Bad Robot have a contact that allows them them to keep making fake Trek. They have no inventive for it to be good as they clearly don't care about ratings or viewership.

Why? Morbid curiosity. Any bets on whether or not Q will suddenly always have been gay and has been in love with Picard this whe time?

Now, I will say that I was thinking earlier today (and more after the recent episode of Discovery) that I hope they will eventually find a way to sideline all of future Discovery trek. Can't do much with the first two seasons to be honest, but I do not like the way they've boxed in what the federation becomes.

I disagree with Picard though. Look, it might be my blinkers, but I'm not really seeing the sexism in Picard? Poverty, addiction, and bigotry all existed in TNG. Poverty not so much in the Federation, but I don't see Raffi as poverty per se, more that she dropped off the radar intentionally. For the Romulan worlds, of course there's poverty after a catastrophe, and that's a recurring problem for the Bajorans in DS9. Addiction see The Game in TNG, and bigotry The Drumhead.

I would be quite happy if they find a way to edge out Discovery, but the kind of arguments made on this petition is why supporters of Discovery are able to dismiss any and all criticism as just old, gatekeeping fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

From my memory Raffi dropped off the radar for some utterly ridiculous and selfish reason regarding a difficult decision Picard had to make. I can't really remember and frankly I don't want to!

The petition wants Kurtzman Trek scrubbed from canon but Id argue it already suffered a fate worse than that with being scrubbed from public consciousness. Relegating the show to something called Pluto TV was the final nail in the pine box for that miserable show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, I haven't watched last night's yet. But the reliance on the trailer of time travel to 2024 or something is a bit ominous. Plotlines like that are usually a cost-cutting exercise. I was a bit underwhelmed by Picard at times. Especially as it went on. I actually liked Na Romulànì and their accents (Although I could really REALLY have done without "The cheeky feckers." That was the line too far 😀). And it certainly started strong. But kind of fizzled out. There was much to like, Seven especially, and.... stuff that didn't work out (That scenery chewing female Romulan. Seriously, now I know why this season is at least partially in 2024: She ATE all the sets!). So I was a bit underwhelmed as opposed to the dislike that grew with me for Discovery. I held on in there as long as I could but...

I have hopes for Brave New Worlds as that cast was VERY engaging when on Discovery (And sorely missed when gone). I hope Section 31 doesn't happen (As much as I like Michelle Yeoh) because it will be nothing but mustache-twirling as opposed to the (slightly) more nuanced approach on DS9. And we always have Lower Decks which is great.

If you could do without "cheeky feckers", then wait until you get to "Slainte"!

I get what you're saying about time travel being usually an indicator of cost cutting, but at least based on the first episode it seems that if they were using it to cut costs in some areas, they're using the savings in others. To me it seems that, unlike Discovery, the showrunners had a look at what worked, and what didn't, in season 1 and have taken that on board. From a few comments online from people who have seen a few episodes in advance almost all the trailers are based on the first couple of episodes, so I'll wait and see how much of this is actually spent in the past.

And yes, season 1 definitely fizzled out. They've at least learned from the copy-paste ship mistakes, so hopefully they also learn from that problem. Though I'm not particularly worried about that one at the moment since they filmed season 2 & 3 back to back, so I would hope that issue won't happen this time around.

I've so much hope for Brave New Worlds. Anson Mount hsa been the best part of Discovery. I definitely don't want section 31 or starfleet academy. I never liked section 31 in any iteration, and while academy may have merits I don't see them pulling it off. Though Lower Decks works amazingly, so who knows.

Ms

Well after watching that first episode and I must say it was really good certainly no cost cutting. Even some backstop and a little character development. Strange the way they done it do but I think after a 2nd watch it will make more sense. I hope it can keep up the good work for the rest of the season. Of course nothing hard about identifying the villain

Talk about a weird Borq Queen. I wonder is she from the future and why she really needed Picard?

I guess we will find out in the next episodes.

Also I love how it's like a fresh start over. You do not need to have seen season 1 to see this one but it can help with some things. It had a very Star-Trek 2009 vibe off it.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have had 0 interaction with Jeri Ryan. I would also bang the shte out of her in a heartbeat. Why do sxy people need anything more than being in the same room for 5 mins to do it.

Anyone who makes petitions about Star Trek canon is a fking loser and not in the fun way the rest of us Trekkies are losers.

I have no idea how the season will pan out but a few niggles aside that was pretty good. There were a few scenes that were almost a mea culpa about some of the complaints about the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I think I asked this before very recently but don’t know if I got an answer or have forgot the answer :p

Will Paramount+ have Picard season 2 when it launches here or does a Amazon have streaming rights for all three seasons for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's on Prime at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Yes I know that but I am asking if anyone knows whether this will be on Paramount+ at launch or if Amazon has it exclusive it for the next few years.

Paramount pulled Discovery from Netflix so season 4 can be shown at launch but they left Picard and Lower Decks on Amazon’s service. I was told this might be because the deal is different than with Netflix - that is why I am wondering will Picard season 2 be available at launch.

Watching it again and is it me or does everyone look better? Softer lighting or focus or different make up or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

The camera work was a good deal better. I’m guessing their Photography Directors are finally the kind who know how filmmaking is supposed to be. The teaser trailer from the ship appeared to have been re-edited into a very shaky visual mess, but the episode itself wasn’t that bad visually.

Unlike with Discovery there was never a moment where the camera direction wasn’t *noticeably* bad. It was easy to follow the starships or the action in general. Much better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really enjoyed the first episode, great bit of escapism form all that’s going on, very good first episode.

The Discovery camera crew have this odd habit of shooting all action scenes from weird diagonal angles to make everything look more hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There was a bit of that here in Episode 1 as well. It's just a standard Sci fi "We're on a rotating ship" kind of trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Although here at least it really was just an action teaser, and an effective one at that. The same scene later, in context, wasn't entirely dissimilar but was less frantic and easier to track.

I didn't really get the JJ or Disco vibes from this one tbh, or certainly less than usual these days - including last season. This actually felt/looked more like an updated TNG to me.

And I really like those new Starfleet uniforms.

Love the nev uniforms too. Less a fan of the STO ships and the fact that every single ship now seems to be named or of a class based off an older ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

There were hints of Discovery styling but it was toned down a lot, and mostly came in the form of those Pew-Pew Phasers. But far better put together than most action scenes in that other show.

I do also like the uniforms. Very much a spiritual successor to the early DS9 / Voyager uniform. I especially liked Picard’s black admiral’s jacket with hints of the shoulder pattern.

This reminds me a little of the surprise of seeing them all back in the fold of Starfleet so quickly after the events of Season 1. Admirals weren’t calling Picard out for his “Sheer f*cking hubris”, and Raffi & Rios were somehow fully commissioned again with high ranks & serious responsibility within the Fleet. It suits them, but it seemed very quick. Only about a year had passed in-universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

@breezy1985 - every single ship now seems to be named or of a class based off an older ship

Not every ship though, and there was a USS Constitution and a USS Galaxy in Star Trek history too so it's not a new thing.

@Rawr - It suits them, but it seemed very quick. Only about a year had passed in-universe.

It does suit them! I had no idea we'd be getting everyone in Starfleet this season. Retcon or not, I'm all for it. Laris does mention to Picard that Zhaban had passed a year and a half ago, and I think he was presumed alive at the end of season one, so a while has gone by anyway.

I'm fearful that the upcoming trip to the "past" and the alt universe stuff means that the tone and visuals might change drastically for most of the season but looking forward to seeing more 25th century Trek whenever we can.

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood me. The ships in the new fleet were a Reliant class which was old Reliant shape, Gagarin class which looked like an update of the ship of that name in DIS, Sutherland class looked just like the Nebula class U.S.S. Sutherland that Data briefly captained. We got 2 new Stargazers which are a 23rd and 25th century 4 nacelle lookalike of Picard's one.

It's a STO thing where every ship has a variant for each Trek era. It's like Voyager J looks just like Voyager.

Advertisement