Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IKEA have now suspended operations. They have 15,000 employees in both countries. Their reasoning is supply chain and trading conditions but they have also donated €20m for humanitarian assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AhFrayedKnot

yeah seems to be a lot of propaganda coming out of ukraine ,9000 russians dead ? surely nobody with a brain beleives that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

17000 posts I’ve made in boards and I posted one link and now you think that defines my sentiments.

Poor form boggles and again an example of how some of you can’t actually address what a poster is saying, you attack the poster.

and to the poster earlier asking me for an example of how people lack the capacity to discuss this with respect and objectively , just look at their engagement with me. How hostile have I been while trying ti make my points and look at their responses and how they have gone off on self righteous speeches that has absolutely nothing ti do with what I’ve actually posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

NATO isn't in Ukraine, it's not even a NATO applicant.

I'm still mystified how people can try to place the blame 'on both sides' equally at this stage.

NATO is a particularly large dagger, but it's been in it's sheath for decades when it comes to Russia. If it was taking lumps out of Russian terrioty for years you may have a point, but its not postured that way.

In terms of headcount, it's been in decline for years. US troop numbers were slashed in the last couple of decades, defence spending in Europe in decline.

NATO is a sideshown for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No, I think I want to understand him better and want to discuss it. Nobody in here is making any difference on a global scale. All I am doing is asking questions and trying to understand It better.

Its horrible what’s going on , I don’t need to say that every post. Some of you just want to see updates and post all the bad things going on, that’s fine, I just want to understand it more.

a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@gandalf wrote:

I think the aim for the world now is to get the dangerous regime out of power in Russia, denazify Russia and demilitarised them up to ensure they no longer have nukes.

A new policy of appeasement at this stage is merely storing up a new "crisis" further down the line. Agreeing to a scenario where Russia gets rewarded for invading another nation with redrawn borders or new autonomous puppet states is unacceptable.

Russia needs to be pushed back to Russia and driven into the ground. The sanctions lift when Russia formally agrees that it recognises the sovereignty of every nation along its borders and cannot object to any of them seeking membership of NATO or the EU at any time.

A lasting legacy of nuclear weapons that has come into stark focus here is that once a country has them, they basically have a blank cheque to violate other countries because the world does not want to spark a nuclear war.

Arising out of this should come a general agreement between all nuclear nations to dismantle their stockpiles with ongoing independent oversight and auditing. The doctrine of MAD quite clearly doesn't keep the peace. Now it's a get out of jail free card allowing nuclear powers to do whatever the **** they want, safe in the knowledge that the only countries who can stop them, won't.

While I am sure there is some tactical value in having nukes, limiting countries to (say) 20 weapons with a combined yield no greater than 50kT, is more than enough nuclear weapons to be able to wave your dick around without putting the existence of our species at risk.

Any country that doesn't agree to it, gets sanctioned out of existence. One can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

You seem to have some inside information that NATO is in Ukraine, or maybe you have an over-active imagination. Stop posing self-evident rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Serious bang of Neville Chamberlain of ya Wibbs.......

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Königsberg was German from the 1200's until 1945, the local population today is almost exclusively Russian now, what do you propose to do with that population ?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Putin could have Ukraine conquered within the hour if he wanted but he's trying to do it with the minimal amount of civilian casualties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Would that be the same UN security council Where Russia and China have vetos? Just saying.

There was a good post earlier about feeling shame and frustration watching on. There is another aspect to the shame -- war as spectacle. We can't ignore it or turn our backs, but that just enhances the earlier shame and frustration. And all that is exhausting.

And all virtues expended here could have been expended elsewhere in more practical ways.

Tuning out is perfectly acceptable. It's easy to forget, but even just today alone, all over the world (including in Ukraine) there have been literally trillions of loving, caring, non-violent, civilized, straightforward interactions between billions of human beings.

History won't record them, but they happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Doesn't matter. There is no justification in this day and age in invading a country based on what alliance it might choose and what might happen if it even did pick that 'side'. We have diplomatic mechanisms to sort through these things these days.

And the other point is that Ukraine was never ever going to join NATO in the situation it found itself with the localised conflict in Donbas, and Russia occupying part of what was internationally-recognised as Ukrainian territory. NATO may express an interest in having Ukraine in the alliance, and Ukraine may express likewise, but NATO doesn't want a piece of that action with Ukraine being in the state it was in. It just wouldn't be workable. Putin had achieved his objectives out of moving into Crimea and destabilising Donbas. This attempt to invade the whole country is brutish and completely unnecessary.

The miscalculation on Putin's part has been spectacular. He's waging a war that end up unseating him the longer it goes and the more economic strain Russia feels, and he's even got Sweden and Finland thinking about joining NATO. Bravo, Putin. Bravo. You played yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You do understand the massive difference between going into Ukraine and a NATO country? Apparently you don't. He already invaded Ukraine and took Crimea.

Oh for Christ's sake, it's not a "genocide in Europe". It's an invasion by a foreign power.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Coming up to 600 pages on this horror I think it's time to get back on track and instead of history lessons and naval gazing horseshit see what we as individuals can offer or do to end this slaughter. I am making phone calls and leaving messages but I don't know what else. A monster march on the embassy and consuls in Limerick?

Any constructive suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I hope these companies keep paying their Ukrainian colleagues. Our company has paid our Ukrainian colleagues until end April. It’s not a huge thing but was proud they did it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The use of wholesale global sanctions currently being imposed on Russia by multiple countries and corporations is very much a new form of retaliation in the face of war.

It has in part came about precisly because Putin is hovering his finger over that big red button and no-one dares lift a physical finger against him. And even at that he has still raising the nuclear threat level because of those same sanctions.

The other facet of that is the digital revolution, where interconnectivity and global digitisation links ever facit of business, in contrast to previous decades where everything was largely based on bits of paper stored locally. There's also the argument that these types of sanctions work best in countries largely dependant on digital technologies. Banning Facebook or whatever in some remote or poor country is probably not going have quite the same impact as it would even in somewhere like Russia

Many of the wars in the last century have not only involved European Christian on European Christian but also Muslim on Muslim or Asian on Asian and were often limited in their theatre of war to a limited geopolitical region. I would agree the west have frequently interceded in many of those wars and caused not a few and for a whole load of reasons. One of which without doubt has been self interest.

Of victims of these wars many indeed have been cast aside, but that is not to say that atrocities in these theatres of war have been ignored. In the last couple of decades it's the direct opposite with mass media coverage, refugees agencies and movement and international aid now being a global phenomenon. But I wouldn't agree with the notion of 'oh look its white men fighting and getting all the attention as usual'. Any war that involves a superpower such as Russia, invading and thrashing another country with the potential of nuclear aggression is going to ring all the bells. Anyone crying racism over that can go take a long jump for themselves as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I'm emailing my TDs to do more to pursue russian assets in the financial sector here and to reduce the number of Russian diplomats here. Should we consider repatriating two particular MEPs to Moscow also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

Yes but they want to be part of NATO. That is the problem. Russia is using this as a pretext for the war. NATO has given them this pretext. NATO has been expanding for decades now and Russia does not want a military empire on its doorstep. None of this justifies Russia but this is the context of the war at the moment.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine would set off huge radiation levels which would immediately enter Russia itself, putting millions of Russian people at risk of being contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

As a sovereign nation they should be able to join NATO or the EU if they so choose? Or are they supposed to get permission from Putin first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

And some people have followed all this for years and know a lot about Putin, the oligarchs and modern Russia. But you don't need to know a lot to put two and two together.

Take a look at what is happening in Russia right now; Independent media is being shut down, only state media remaining. Real political opposition? murdered or in prison (or poisoned with nerve agent and then sent to prison). Protesters? whether they are kids or grandmothers, they are all arrested. UN vote to condemn? 142 countries to 5.

This isn't recent, this has been going on for years, and decades. Putin annexed Crimea, they weren't given a chance to have a normal referendum. Putin sparked an uprising in S.E Ukraine with no chance at any normal process. Putin is now invading Ukraine.

He appears to be consumed with rewriting history whatever the cost (not that it affects him and his inner circle who are all unfathomably rich) There have been many leaders like him in history, if people want to label him evil based on his actions, absolutely they can, if they want to compare him to e.g. Hitler, absolutely, many comparisons there. Just because some MTV presenter on Youtube who makes money from telling people there must be another "narrative" doesn't mean there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

I agree. But the reality is that NATO allowed tensions to rise and now they have war. NATO, at the very least, are guilty of criminal negligence and belligerence.

In real terms 'nato' and 'Russia' don't start wars. People start wars. And all some people need is an excuse.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1850 715 815.

(Although I think they changed the number!!! Just googled and it's now 0818 715 815 )

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Might be fake news. But would be in line with the tower bloc bombings suspected to have been planned by Putin's circle to get him into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Targeting residential areas does not minimise the number of civilian casualties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement