Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's a 3rd year academy lock at Munster who could have been available, Paddy Kelly. He's also a big lad and I don't think he's getting a contract with Munster.

On a side note, there's MacNamee and Glasgow with the u20's. Both could be in the Ulster academy next year!

• Was announced 20 minutes ago that both Year 3 academy second rows Paddy Kelly and Eoin O'Connor are being promoted to the Senior ranks on a one year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ok! Didn't see that! I hope Bradshaw works out. He's clearly invested in a rugby career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Does look like an athletic lump!

Have to say our pack depth is building well, just need the props now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Frank Bradshaw Ryan is a very good player, I was surprised he didn’t get a senior contract in Munster but they had a few to choose from. Has done very well in France and is still only 26. I think he’s athletic enough too, a bit like Beirne but only time will tell if he’s as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Flip, if he is as effective as Beirne we're onto a winner! The difference is that Beirne was tearing up trees at European and Pro 14 level for the Scarlets before Munster signed him. This guy has been playing Pro D2.

Still it's an interesting signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Some u20's thoughts again:

McCormick - Think he nailed just about every throw, very good lineout operator. Don't think he showed up as well round the park this time against a physical Italy side.

McLoughlin - had a nice cameo off the bench. Not the biggest although he had a couple of energetic carries but I'd need to see more of him.

Postlewaite = fairly clear to see what he brings and why he went straight into the side. Very physical carrier and loves an offload. Would like to see him hit the line harder, he's a little hesitant at times and a more organised defence would have cut him down easier a few times. I think he's probably the academy player/prospect I'm most excited about at the moment.

McNabney - had some nice carries against one of the stronger packs in the tournament. He's clearly growing in confidence but his handling can be very poor and him falls off tackles. He looks like a year or two of strength and conditioning will do him a world of good, he's a large lad but the muscle/power isn't quite there yet.

Crothers - thought he struggled with the physicality at times. He didn't miss any tackles they got plenty of forward momentum and he didn't really impact the breakdown as well as you might like.

Hanlon and McNamee got on for a little bit but didn't really get to show much.

Great wee game to watch, Ireland play a lovely brand of attacking rugby.

Agree with everything above. Both Crothers & McNabney will need to bulk up significantly, to step up. Saying that the size difference between packs was quite evident once again. Was impressed with McLoughlin looked very keen and looks like he has a low centre of gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Baloucoune, Hume, Hendo and Timoney released back to Ulster for gametime.

Expect them all to feature. Typical - we get Hendo for Cardiff at home. He'll probably get injured against England and we won't see him the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Cooney fit and available for selection also

New signing (development contract) https://ulster.rugby/content/talented-local-player-from-city-of-armagh-rfc-signs-on-with-ulster-rugby

Post edited by launish116 on

Hopefully see McCann back - maybe Rea Jr to be rested? Izzy as well.

On Shea O'Brien - delighted. Newry lad, has come through City of Armagh RFC, staked a claim playing Ulster A and inter-provincial development. Brilliant to see lads from non-traditional routes there.

Shea's a fullback. Wondering if Ulster are expecting to see less of Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Good to see Armaghs recent successes being rewarded. He's been key to their success and recent promotions...

Yeah, agree with the above.

It's vital that the best club players are at least looked at and if good enough get a run with the As and then who knows from there.

This guy has obviously come from a non traditional route so probably didn't play a lot at school, so great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But he did play all through age grade with Armagh so provincial leagues, nutty crust cup etc and won a fair few of those. played some ulster age grade as well.

Managed to get to the schools cup semi final yesterday, it's unfortunate they aren't streaming them this year.

The methody 15 and 7 were very very good, I would imagine they are two of the frontrunners for academy places. The 8 was on the smaller side but he was a cracking player as well.

Couldn't really make out the numbers on the rbai shirts but it was a bit of a one sided game anyway. To their credit they had an excellent maul which kept them within touching distance in the first half.

Judging by scores from earlier in the year and a quick glance at the ireland rep squads, I think campbell are slight favourites for the tournament? Should be a good final anyway.

Not Ulster related...at least not anymore...but I see Max Deegan has signed a new contract with Leinster...he is someone I would have liked to see Ulster make a move for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I know Campbell beat Methody earlier in the season but Methody looked imperious especially in the second half against Inst and were on a different level altogether. Should be a good final though.

McFarland names Ulster team to host Cardiff Rugby

Ulster team to play Cardiff Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 13, Friday 4 March at Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm kick-off, live on BBC Northern Ireland, Premier Sports, and RTÉ 2:

(15-9) Stewart Moore Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ben Moxham, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Jordi Murphy, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Jack McGrath, Gareth Milasinovich, Sam Carter, Duane Vermeulen, John Cooney, Ian Madigan, Aaron Sexton.

Moore at fifteen?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That team should batter them.

Jordi back.

• Advertisement

Moore has filled in there once before I think but he's definitely played there on occasion at age grade level anyway. Big left boot but I'd be worried about his speed across the pitch.

Great to see Tom Stewart back.

Ah good spot on Stewart, I didn't pick up on that earlier.

Yeah Moore at 15 is the most interesting call there. Its a risky enough call, Moxham is still finding his feet in the back three as well and then we have the very raw Sexton as cover. A bit of versatility for Moore could be a very good thing for him in the future though.

Moore, Hume and Postlewaite fighting over two centre spots should be interesting over the years. Postlewaite can play wing as well.

They did make a move for him but he didn't want to leave leinster. Ferris was given out about it, he couldnt believe guys wanting to be 3rd choice missing out on Irish caps and better contracts long term. It a strange move by Deegan maybe he lacks confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Or maybe he has lots of confidence and thinks he can force his way into one of the top club sides in the world!

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Deegan will never be more than a second string player at Leinster, but I suspect he knew this when signing his contract and decided he is happy with his lot.

I am not entirely sure he's much better than what we have already.

Dooley supposedly off to Connacht, will he regret not moving to us several years earlier?

As for tomorrow night, that is two very strong teams for mid 6 nations!

• Advertisement

That was a tidy finish from Baloucoune.

Advertisement