Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

It hasn't technically been upgraded to a red but he was cited for the challenge which means that the citing commissioners believe its worthy of a closer look. We won't actually know if its upgraded to a red until after the hearing, not sure when that is though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Also to your question about a link there doesn't seem to be anything official just loads of the SA media writing articles about how he was cited

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

B.gud is spot on, according to SA media the citing commissioner found no grounds from the downgrade to yellow, but nothing official on the URC site.

So I may be accidentally fake news 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Great to see Gav Thornbury back at training, can't wait to see him playing again.

So, Edinburgh, what's the verdict? They must be short a lot of players on international duty. Our squad looks pretty strong. We need a win here to stay in the hunt for next year's Champions Cup, can we get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I have to say I'm hopeful of a win, especially with Jack's availability being flagged in advance, so he'll presumably be training all week with the squad. The squad is bound to have gotten a good boost from the win against a good stormers side too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Expect Edinburgh will get at least a few back from Scotland but they will still be missing more than Connacht. Connacht went over there two years ago during six nations too and got a hammering, shipping 40 points.

Having said that, would be hopeful. Massive game. I haven’t looked at permutations much but Andy Friend said Connacht can only afford two more league defeats to make playoffs/Europe.

With Leinster, Treviso away, two games in South Africa & Zebre in the final five, seems like a win would give Connacht a right chance and a loss would leave their backs against the wall.

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS EDINBURGH RUGBY

Friday 4th March, 19:35 @ DAM Health Stadium

Number/Name/Caps

15. John Porch (51)

14. Peter Sullivan (20)

13. Sammy Arnold (32)

12. Tom Daly (56)

11. Alex Wootton (30)

10. Jack Carty (172) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (143)

1. Jordan Duggan (25)

2. Dave Heffernan (157)

3. Jack Aungier (25)

4. Oisin Dowling (19)

5. Leva Fifita (9)

6. Cian Prendergast (23)

7. Conor Oliver (34)

8. Paul Boyle (69)Replacements

16. Shane Delahunt (116)

17. Tietie Tuimauga (7)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (71)

19. Niall Murray (29)

20. Abraham Papali’i (20)

21. Kieran Marmion (201)

22. Tom Farrell (72)

23. Jarrad Butler (89)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Strong team. Selections at prop continue to be extremely strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Second row and back Row won’t be afraid to get stuck in anyways.

Feel there’s always a chance to win when Carty starts. Great to see Sullivan getting a good run of games.

6-2 split again to have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

To be fair a lot of the selections of late have simply been down to who was fit and available

• Advertisement

The work-rate of that back five is incredible. Each of those guys get through an absolute shift every week.

Assume Buckley's calf issue counted him out, and Burke may have been assessed as needing another week for to recover. Strange is the switching of Tuimauga. Looks like he's there to cover LH this week after three starts at TH, there must be a cost to him. Theoretically DRMc can cover both sides as well though, right?

Edinburgh missing nine to Scotland. There’s no excuses not to win this.

McCoy's only start at 1 for us was in the B&I Cup in 2017, maybe he has covered off the bench.

I think it's also strange to bring Aungier in for his first start in almost a year for a must win away fixture.

• Bernard Jackman saying that Adam Byrne and Peter Dooley to Connacht next season on the 42 Rugby Podcast

Both seem like they could be decent signings but the two of them should have moved two years ago to be honest.

Dooley and Byrne could be very good signings. Add some decent depth. Should have come earlier. If I’m not mistaken the pair are very friendly with Tom Daly, hopefully will have similar impacts. Likely one if not both Healy and toh will be leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Who would Byrne come in for?

Connacht pretty stacked for wingers that I can see with the rumoured addition of Mullins too.

Dooley would be a massive addition imo. 28 at the start of next season with a phenomenal injury profile and 1 short of 100 Leinster apps despite never being first choice.

I think with a run of games he'd be looking at ousting Buckley from that number 1 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Whats the craic with Healy? Is he injured or just not getting picked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I wouldn't be shocked if O'Donnell wasn't retained in all honesty.

• Advertisement

Would be looking at something like this depth wise:

11. Mack, wootton, kilgallen

14. Byrne, Sullivan, Mullins

15 porch, mcnulty, toh

No chance he stays on. Such a bizarre signing, and that's not just with the benefit of hindsight, we were pretty much unanimously critical on here at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Ya I imagine BOD will go. Hasn't been getting a look in and is an NIQ slot.

Healy is a strange one. His only appearance this year was Leicester at home? A huge game to come in for. Maybe he made another appearance, I could be mistaken. Owes us nothing anyway does Matt.

Byrne would be a nice acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Byrne being ridiculously injury prone would be my only concern. Dooley would be one of the best signings we'd make in a long time if it's true.

So was Daly prior to his move. Change of scenery and s&c could work wonders

Conor Oliver too. Already managed more appearances for us than his entire time at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Dooley is a much better player than Ed Byrne and will push for international caps at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Dooley would be an excellent signing and as mentioned above could be in the ireland camp very soon as he will get plenty of starts. Byrne is worth the punt as I can't see BOD staying. We could be losing a LH to accommodate Dooley though.

Tuimauga is likely only a short term deal, could be let go or kept as a tighthead. I would prefer the latter, the guy has played a handful of pro games at tighthead and was rock solid up against a top class prop in Kitsoff at the weekend. Can't teach that sort of power. Could be looking at something like:

Lh: Buckley, Burke, Dooley, Duggan

Th: Aungier, Bealham, Illo, Tuimauga/McCoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'd love to see Him stay on as TH. He looks like he could be top quality.

Advertisement