Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not at all doubting his qualifications, indeed have enjoyed his contributions throughout the pandemic , his delivery however at times is amusing "Everybody "

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Could you imagine if they brought in a €5 per hour contribution towards home care 😳

Whilst no doubting current model is unsustainable, this would end any political party that brought this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Claire is excellent listening today. She will make an excellent president after Miriam of course.

Lyse Doucet is an excellent Journalist

They'd have to climb over Joe Duffy for that ambition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

On the subject of people with Presidential ambitions Adi Roche on talking about the military importance of the Chernobyl Power Plant. Never misses an opportunity to promote her busines....sorry "charity".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Very sly comment from Claire just there. Obviously referring to Mary Lou.

RBB ambushed neatly at the end. "You voted against, didn't you?" when the topic was wearing masks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

Rich Boy-Barrett was disgraceful. Blaming it all on Israel and NATO and Saudi Arabia, and the US, and the EU, and the Czar and everyone bar Putin.

He then completely airbrushed the Soviet Union out of history and repeatedly referred to it as the Czarist Empire. No mention of the Soviet invasion of Ukraine, Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and the estimated million people who died at the hands of the armies commanded by Leon Trotsky. But I suppose what else would you expect from a man who proudly declares himself a Trotskyist on his website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nice tribute to Paddy Murray at the end of the show.

RIP Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

I agree. RBB is an insufferable pr**k. More interested, as usual, in bringing his own tiresome (and flawed) world view to the discussion than advancing any proposal that would succour or comfort the Ukrainians in their horrendous predicaments.

Absurd and self-serving opinion on his part that the attack more resembles the First War than the Second. Any idiot should be able to recognise the correspondence between the invasion of Poland in 1939 and this week's invasion of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Call of Duty hardly invented the concept of taping two gun magazines together to make reload time more efficient. I've seen images of marines in the Pacific theatre in WW2 with three Thompson magazines taped together 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Claire straight in there with the inane questions this morning, to a journalist in central Kyiv assessing the damage: "Surely it's not safe to be walking around there right now, is it?"

I don't know how he didn't reply "It's a fcuking war zone Claire, what do you think"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

And another searingly insightful question: "Are you worried about your mother, in central Kharkiv?"

I'm being a bit mean on her, I actually like Claire, but she's pissed me off since the other night when she insulted our collective intelligence by apologising on behalf of a distraught Ukrainian woman who dared to call the Russians vermin.

What is this man going to say? "Nah I don't give a **** about my mam, next question"

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Will Claire take a family i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

so the whole world has to stop because of the conflict in the Ukraine???

this isn't covid Claire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I find her hard to listen to if I'm honest, she asks persistently dumb questions and there's never really much in the way of actual analysis of any issue that's discussed on the show.

I know one of the roles of the host is to put opposing arguments to guests, but she often bangs away with talking points that aren't that important or nonsensical.

I don't detect a lot of insight from her either. She had a guest on the last morning speaking from the Ukraine and the guy was clearly talking to her while there was some sort of disturbance going on around him - it being a country at war and all - and he stated at one point, politely but dead serious, that "this will have to be last question". It wouldn't have taken a genius to figure out that he was calling the interview to a close because obviously something was going on suddenly in the area he was in and he had to get off the phone fairly lively. An idiot would have been able to join the dots there.

And then when the interview finished, she seemed to have no real understanding of why someone in that situation may have to abruptly drop a phone call and genuinely seemed a bit miffed about why he had cut her off.

I honestly think sometimes that there isn't much going on there upstairs with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree, she's naturally attuned to looking for the tabloid type suffering human angle. That's sometimes needed but when an issue needs some real analysis in what is supposedly a current affairs programme, it's just lacking. Not there.

I think that's the crux of it, she's basically a tabloid journalist, but is left to cover current affairs and I don't think she can analyse and properly put intelligent questions to people.

But she speaks well and can sound like she means business when putting it up to politicians etc, so I think people think she's sharp. But I don't think she's actually interrogating or investigating any issue, more a case of "right you've said this, so I'm going to hit you with this talking point and we'll just continue from there" and there's never any real trashing out of an issue. It's weak enough stuff.

I understand a lot of it is theatre, the politicians know what they'll say, she'll know what they'll say, they know what she will say etc, etc.

I'm not an experienced listener, it was only the last few days, but already I can tell it's basically the same repetitive dynamic over and over.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's about it - it's been said before but her questions often seem scripted/ prepared. And that's also fine insofar as it goes but current affairs interviews take turns and require a sharp & quick mind to adapt. She doesn't have this skill. Good at other human interest stuff but not at covering rolling current affairs on radio.

Compare Claire to, let's say; Mishall Husain or Martha Kearney. Oh, there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever. Current affairs isn't Claire's forte

The sad thing is when you look around the Irish media landscape there's not many that are clearly demonstrably better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

leta talk to a woman who’s father is trapped in Chernobyl

Claire repeatedly showing that she can't actually listen to people she's interviewing. Time & again she's talking to Ukrainians and the subject of Kyiv comes up - they pronounce it as Ukrainians say it, two syllables but run close together. She just can't pick up on this and ploughs on with her new RTE pronunciation of 'keeeeeve'. It's to the stage that it's disrespectful, though a minor matter in the greater scheme of things. But a good interviewer has to be a good listener and should pick up on this quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Agree with this. She's really taking the piss with her "Keeeeve".

Poor auld Dobbo on the other hand is having awful problems trying to be PC. He can be interviewing five different Ukrainians in the space of half an hour and they all pronounce Kiev/Kyiv differently while he's trying to keep up.

I can nearly imagine him putting his head in his hands when his next interviewee comes on with a different pronunciation of the city to the one he's just mastered.

Haven't heard a Peep out of Stephen Donnelly, for quite some time (Thankfully)

I was listening to Roderick O Gorman earlier on morning Ireland, asked, on foot of all these government promises regarding Ukrainian Refugees arriving (welcome ) about who exactly was greeting these Refugees at the airport 🤔, he kept on referring to the Department of Justice, presumably immigration, but no one from any of the departments allegedly going to help these people.

It would seem there's an awful lot of promises, despite the shyte the country is in already re health care and Housing. All well and good offering assistance, I'm not entirely sure theres the infrastructure in place to cope with a few thousand, let alone 100k .

Putting Refugees in private family homes is a very short term option and possibly only practical in Urban areas.

O Dear, Stephen Donnelly just lit a fuse under party Colleague, John McGuinness , not very clever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

"The Russian Army has shown itself to be not quite as adept as we all thought (paraphrase), should we now question their nuclear capabilities as well?"

....jesus christ Claire!!!!!

Advertisement