Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a massive fundamental game design flaw with detective modes that really annoys me. It's that you are getting far too much visual information from detective mode that there's no reason not to be in it. It's beneficial to the player and therefore the player is going to constantly use it. I remember while playing Arkham Asylum and City when I was a good bit into the game I realised I didn't know what parts of the game looked like because I spent them entirely in detective mode. The art department shouldn't have even bothered texturing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

As a man prone to constantly losing his keys, I'd love me a bit of detective vision in real life. With games getting more visually sophisticated with each passing year what suggestions, beyond some sort of detective mode or highlighting outline, do people have for games not becoming a virtual version of 'where the fúck did I put those car keys' when it comes to finding important quest items in a game?

Also, due to the time constraints of work, commuting, family commitments, trying to get more exercise to combat minor health issues and generally being middle aged and needing more sleep than I use to, what gaming I get is very limited so I'm not opposed to map markers in a game. Wandering aimlessly around a game hoping for something interesting to happen as a way to create a sense of exploration sounds great if you've a lot more time open to you to play games. I don't.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think I must be the opposite to everyone else, I prefer more direction in games. Not a big fan of just exploring to find things or having to figure everything out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The solution is pretty simple. Better game and visual design. If you can't find or see an important item without having to press a button and have it highlighted to you then as a designer you've failed in both areas.

I don't think it's a bad mechanic. Dishonored uses it exceptionally well and at times Arkham games do until they went over board with it. Hell I even enabled disability mode to give me a sort of detective vision in Last of Us 2 because scavenging for parts and loot was boring. However when it's something like Horizon where 'our game doesn't visually indicate where you can climb to the player so here's a get out of jail detective mode', that's just lazy design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny enough for a game with mountains of optional, missable stuff, Elden Ring has a simple solution when it comes to the game’s most critical items: when you kill a boss, you just get the items automatically. There’s lots of other things you might miss (like an optional path that’s available in a boss room) but if the game really doesn’t want you to miss a particular item, then it’ll just give it to you without any fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Guardians of the galaxy actually handled this in a good way - you could use star lords visor to look for objectives if you needed a hint, but the colour filter applied to it was absolutely hideous to look at , so you'd avoid using it as often as you would something like detective vision or survivor sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dying Light 2 is a recent offender of this. Everything looks like it fits in with the environment which means it's hard to see what can be picked up or not. Then it forces you to use detective mode to find certain things even if you find them yourself, you can't click on it without starting detective mode first. I basically spam ot everyone o go into a room, really breaks the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yeah, Dying Light 1 was scary and tense, part 2 not so much, mostly because this detective vision highlighted everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bring back oversized, glowing, floating, rotating (maybe even bouncing) loot! You can't be hiding half a pair of scissors under a kitchen cabinet for realism if I can see people's silouette's through the wall!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's precisely where I am with gaming ATM: gaming time is simply at a premium now; that's not a gripe or moan simply a reality for me. Between kids and other life commitments, the games that turn my head now aren't the time-sink types of yore. Dawdling around an open world with constant distractions sounds like a nightmare now, 'cos there's simply no way I'd be in a position to enjoy it properly - by the time I found something of interest, oh right. The mini-human has woken up. I still love the idea of games that might ask 3, 4 hours of your day in one go, but they're certainly not the style I can legitimately pick up and play anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah I suppose that's a key part of the attraction, it does make getting through games much quicker.

I suppose the solution is to tell the person through notes, conversations etc exactly where something they need is. but that then goes back to peoples time constraints and how its not entirely accessible either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've never played it, but from what I've seen, Death Stranding's making of the act of walking & traversal a game mechanic itself looks inspired. That's the sort of Open-World that might create a sense of accomplishment for simply going from A to B; where your time hasn't been wasted 'cos just arriving at the new location feels like a success - not a box ticked.

Sleep is overrated, you can steal 3-4 hours from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, death standing reversal mechanic wrecked other open world games for me as I'd play something else and the movement automatically felt 'gamey' like i could matrix see the code behind it. I don't know how Death Standing made walking/running from A to B fun but no other open world game comes close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I can completely see why Death Stranding is so polarising, but personally I loved getting a delivery to some far flung corner of the map and having to decide what to bring and what route looked the best. No other game has come close to making a journey feel like an actual challenge. It is just so funny when you play AC and can gallop from the borders of Scotland to London with no challenge whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really enjoyed the traversal of Death Stranding and most of the actual game, but the game just bummed me out with the BTs. Those parts were just never fun, challenging or all that exciting (after the first few anyway). I ended up not completing the game.

I'm getting to the point where lobbing two or three hours off my sleep time has the same effect on me the next day as going on a 12 hour drink and drugs bender had when I was in my twenties.

Yea I agree that after the first few they lose their effectiveness, aside from one section much later on where your scanner is disabled. I think this is compensated for by all the anti-BT weapons they give you. They may not stay scary but at least they don't get too annoying.

Yeah, pretty much the same issue I had with it as well. Opened up the second part of the map and played a couple of hours but I never went back. It's still there taunting me.

• Advertisement

I'm actually like a toddler now. I nap during the day at weekends and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I had exactly the same experience, I got about 10ish hours into the game before I stopped playing. Loved crossing the landscape, hated all the sections with BTs.

I'd pay good money for a spin off game that removed all the combat and just doubled down on the traversal and logistics.

The BT sections become rarer and rarer as the game goes on. Also before too long you will have anti bt assault rifles that will kill them instantly, they really aren't that much a thing from the midpoint of the game.

That's just being smart. So much of the world does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And on the flip, I have to say that no part of Death Stranding was entertaining for the hours I played it for. No, they didn't making walking fun. To me at least. Boring game full of crap Kojima exposition, and that's only the first few hours, couldn't drag myself beyond that. Each to their own. Good looking game though.

It's worth it for the beach 'princess peach' scene. That's some next level kojima ballocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

In most open world games the reward is what you find. You wander for 5 mins across nothing and then find something cool. In DS the walk is the rewarding bit. Getting there is just a moment to contemplate how good the journey was.

Quick one on Horizon, if you like the yellow lines on the rocks for climbing you can switch them on at all times in the settings.

Is the Switch Oled worth the price tag? I'm currently on the fence as to whether I should buy one or not.

• Advertisement

I sold it on two years ago.

Does anybody have experience of buying a Switch at CeX out of curiosity?

Advertisement