Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,388 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Session Moth Martina wrestled a match for Dark Elevation. Delighted for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Fair play to her. Hopefully she can get more time out there now between ROH and AEW. She was very unlucky that Covid happened just as she signed to ROH. I'm not a massive fan of the gimmick to be honest but she seems a cool person.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,599 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Called it.

Tony is definitely not a public speaker

TONY KHAN ANNOUNCES AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE RING OF HONOR

— Video Library, Brand Assets, Intellectual Property from Independent Professional Wrestling’s Most Prestigious Promotion Purchased Under New Partnership with Tony Khan —

March 2, 2022 — Moments ago on AEW: Dynamite live on TBS, it was announced that Tony Khan has agreed to acquire the assets of Ring of Honor Wrestling Entertainment, LLC from Sinclair Broadcast Group, including the promotion’s extensive video library dating back to 2002, brand assets, intellectual property, production equipment and more.

Known widely as the independent promotion that birthed some of wrestling’s biggest stars of today, including AEW’s CM Punk and Bryan Danielson, and highlighted dozens of members of the AEW roster, Ring of Honor’s purchase signifies a new chapter in the future of professional wrestling as AEW’s meteoric rise continues to draw the youngest-skewing wrestling audience on television.

“Ring of Honor’s influence on modern professional wrestling is etched permanently in the history books, and this acquisition ensures that its legacy will be kept alive and treated with the utmost respect,” said Tony Khan, CEO of AEW, Chief Football Strategy Officer of the Jacksonville Jaguars and GM/Sporting Director of Fulham F.C. “This deal adds thousands of hours of content to our rapidly growing library and creates new opportunities to expand our footprint on a national and global scale, while having the potential to produce new content under the ROH banner. I will immediately begin exploring opportunities to make ROH’s video library available to fans, who’ll have the opportunity to witness the beginnings of the careers of some of AEW’s biggest stars.”

More than 40 members of the AEW roster have appeared in Ring of Honor during their careers. The promotion launched the careers of numerous AEW superstars, including CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Hangman Page, Dr. Britt Baker and Adam Cole. Additional members of the AEW roster have made their mark in ROH, including the late Brodie Lee, The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, ReDragon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly), Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and Trent? Beretta), Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, Matt Sydal, Mercedes Martinez, Serena Deeb, Frankie Kazarian, Scorpio Sky, Keith Lee, Eddie Kingston, Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, QT Marshall, Danhausen, Lance Archer, Griff Garrison, Thunder Rosa, Wheeler Yuta, Luchasaurus, Orange Cassidy, Ethan Page, Austin Gunn, PAC, Kip Sabian, Jon Moxley, John Silver, Alex Reynolds, Jerry Lynn, BJ Whitmer and Sonjay Dutt.

“Ring of Honor has produced some of the best professional wrestlers over the past 20 years, but more importantly, it created a family. I will be forever grateful to everyone in the ROH family who has worked tirelessly for the past two decades to take ROH to levels previously unimagined,” said Joe Koff, Chief Operating Officer, Ring of Honor Wrestling. “Tony has the utmost appreciation and respect for Ring of Honor, and I’m truly excited to see how he continues the legacy.”

This acquisition will be completed through an entity that is wholly-owned by Tony Khan. Further details about the extent of this acquisition will be announced in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I know people probably feel different about the ROH purchase but to me that's just another case of AEW hyping up something and failing to deliver. Buying what's effectively 3 letters and a tape library isn't something that changes wrestling or whatever crap they had said.

Its basically just developmental for them, and I don't think they even needed that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I get your feelings, but it genuinely is a huge announcement, for AEW and the industry. It’s an absolutely massive boon to AEW as a whole. The video library they get alone likely powers them massively in talks for the streaming deal. This is how a company like AEW grows to remain competitive with WWE.

it’s probably a bit like a football team signing a massive shirt sponsor. Might feel small for some people, but it’s a pretty big deal when you stop and think about it. Plus it’s going to possibly kickstart a tonne of storylines too.

❤️ The Acclaimed. Had been hoping they might have gotten closer to the end. The Kane line was a killer.

Punk bled badly 😳

Spears really doesn't get the appreciation he deserves for helping get wardlow over

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So I guess after Tony's announcement, we can expect ROH wrestlers to be added to the forthcoming AEW console game?

So ROH will be kind of an NXT for AEW. I agree with TSC above this is necessary if they want a big streaming deal. They needed more content. Not to mention they've loads of wrestlers that they're not using. Send some of them to ROH and help build that up again.

If they come up with a platform that has all of the AEW content since it started, the ROH library and the future shows of both it'll be a great resource for wrestling fans. I imagine they have a deal lined up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm curious to see how they use it. I know he said the line about Shane but would they have an invasion type angle? Maybe not like WWE but with ones turning up like how they're doing it in Impact now.

As said above, will this affect the comeback PPV? I have noticed the occasional ROH appearance like Josh Woods was on this week's Dark or Elevation.

• Advertisement

Put Regal and Joe in charge of running it and run it independently for at least a year using free agent and Indy wrestlers and let it find its feet again before doing anything major would be they way I’d go.

ROH don't have any wrestlers under contract so an invasion angle makes no sense, and the ones theyve brought in have gone straight to Dark or barely wrestled. Impact are also running an ROH invasion angle which would just make it worse too.

In relation to the shirt sponsor analogy, that's grand but that's a press statement. They don't interrupt the match on TV to announce it.

Outside of it being a development system, it's basically Dark but with an established name. Not sure if there's even a TV deal for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To be fair, it didn't take up a lot of time and set up the opening match. Would've been more intrusive if they had it mid show. I will agree Tony isn't a great public speaker so could've been delivered better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think its a pretty shrewd move by Khan.

Let's be honest, roh has always been an unofficial developmental system to wwe, tna etc over the last 20 years. Mainly do to its size - roh had a knack of finding good talent and make them indy names. Said talent would naturally go to wwe to earn more money and become stars. Roh always had a revolving door and every few years talent got scooped up.

By buying ROH, Khan has bought an established developmental promotion, with a great track record, that can provide his AEW with the talent of tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It's a good move but not huge announcement worthy.

It's a tape library and 3 letters. It's not a developmental system or anything apart from that. If they do an invasion angle they're too late because Impact did it first. The tape library is diluted because most is on youtube and if they try to get it taken down then there will be war, plus with some exceptions much of it hasn't aged well and comes across as spotmonkeying.

Saying this is huge is like saying WWE buying ECW was huge. It wasn't and it all went so horribly wrong. They really need to figure out a middle ground for their announcements because if everything is huge then nothing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

In the context of pro-wrestling, it is pretty big news imo. AEW is going for what, 2 years? In that short time they have signed some of the biggest names available that still have inring ability and have now bought a rival. They have immediately scaled up in terms of their library and as such, are much more attractive from an investment perspective for a streaming provider. WWE buying ECW was the obvious thing to do and not really big news simply because WWE was a monster at the time, head and shoulders above any other PW outfit. AEW buying ROH is more in line with WWE buying WCW which was big news at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Anyone not understanding that TK buying ROH is a huge deal is just showing themselves up as not understanding the business at all. ROH will never die now, this isn't ECW or WCW where WWE bought them and they killed them while having wwe contracted wrestlers wearing WCW and ECW tshirts. The history of wrestling can not be told without ROH and TK buying ROH is huge

The ROH tape library is a huge deal to AEW with the current contracted AEW roster heavily involved in titles since the beinging of the ROH.

Danielson, Punk, Lynn, Cole, Lethal, O'Reilly, Daniels even Cody if he really is gone are all former ROH champions.

The Second City Saints, Daniels & Sydal, reDRagon, The Young Bucks, The Addiction, The Broken Boys, SoCal Uncensored are all former ROH Tag Champions.

Lethal, Danielson both former ROH Pure champions.

Daniels, Lethal, Cole, Fish all former ROH TV Champions.

If AEW sign Joe, Homicide, The Briscoe's, Rush, Bandido, Greshim they add more value to that library for AEW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That library also gives them a huge amount of freedom with regards documentaries now, too.

They can sign Briscoes, Gresham etc easily even without buying ROH, assuming they want to work for AEW.

I really don't get how a tape library that no one was watching anyway (was anyone here actually subscribed to Honor Club) a huge get and the AEW brand name is worth more than ROH nowadays so even branding stuff as ROH instead of AEW costs them money.

It gives them All In and opportunity to do documentaries with more footage of their wrestlers but that's about it from a value perspective and that doesn't justify actually hyping it up and having an announcement imo.

Even from a library for a streaming deal perspective. If someone is into AEW, they'll subscribe anyway, the existence of ROH content actually gains very little in terms of subscribers as anyone who's a fan of ROH is probably a fan of AEW anyway.

• Advertisement

But it's hundreds (?) of hours that they don't have now. They couldn't launch a proper streaming service with just the AEW shows. The same as WWE Network needed a lot of archive footage before it could be a runner. If they sell the service to someone like HBO the chances are it'll be worth way more than Tony Khan is paying for ROH.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's painful watching Khan talk. It's like he's trying to shout and speak at the same time.

As for ROH, meh. An announcement about padding content for a streaming/network deal is fine but doesn't really get my rocks off.

Its padding content though. The value of the content is probably for documentaries, if there was a demand to rewatch old ROH matches, ROH would probably still have been in business.

No real surprise to see the posters who do not think it is a big deal I wonder why some of them even watch something they seem to dislike so much

I mean the only times I've criticized AEW is for their women's booking (which at this stage is hard to defend) and their hyping up of stuff and then nearly always failing to deliver (imo). There are other misses or course but rest is pretty damn good most of the time.

I wonder will NWA & Impact be next up for a purchase.

Impact would have another 20 years of a tape library.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pepsi stamps his feet and punches the wall if you so much as look at AEW sideways. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If they're looking for a tape library for documentaries, it should be Chikara with how much of their talent is from there. The only actual ones you could hype up are WWE (not happening) or some deal for shared content with NJPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

All I keep seeing is ROH is a great purchase... if. Which if we're basing the whole thing on possibilities that may or may not happen I'm not sure that makes it a good purchase.

I'll keep saying what I've been saying since this was rumoured weeks back.

Buying ROH has very little benefit. You get the name and the tapes. ROH was significant, emphasis on was. Is running any ROH show going to be more beneficial than running it as an AEW show? AEW has far greater appeal and will sell far better using their name alone.

The tape library is great and it's solid content for a streaming service and certainly is great leverage for a potential streaming deal, especially now that they have All In which is significant to AEW's history. It will definitely add some zeroes when they negotiate a deal, which it would want to if the costs rumoured this week are true but when all is said and done, having new content from AEW is far more valuable and is what any streaming platform would prioritise. If AEW launches their own service the same rule applies, if there was that much money in ROH content then Honor Club would have been a contender. ROH content on an AEW streamer is an added bonus but not the driving force behind why it would succeed. As for people saying that they weren't viable as a streaming outlet without this, that's nonsense. The fact Fite TV has a successful AEW pass proves that. The amount of content banked from Dynamite, Dark, Ramage and Elevation is more than enough to justify a streaming service if it's catered purely to wrestling fans. It's new content that will drive people though.

As for all the talk of potential wrestlers, they're all free agents so not sure how people are arguing that point. If it becomes a development promotion, fine but if it's literally just the squashes of a Dark or Elevation then is that really befitting of the legacy of ROH that I see people talk about. I'm not sure it makes sense to run two promotions at once and history has generally proven that to be the case.

It's just a deal to me that has some interesting possiblities but without a clear location for the library and no clear plan for the promotion it's hard to get excited about. As much as it is cool to have someone other than WWE own an interesting tape library. Maybe it's a great move and I'd love to eat my words if it turns out well, which I have no reason to doubt they have a decent plan for but as of right now it doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

EDIT - I don't understand why people get annoyed when people discuss or say something critical about AEW, is this place just meant to be an echo chamber? I think AEW is the best and most consistent wrestling show on and I support them financially and by recommending it to people but like everything there's still room for improvement or things that could be handled better. I wouldn't bother coming here if it was just everyone saying how great one thing was, I agree with some takes, I disagree with others, there wouldn't be a discussion without discourse.

• Advertisement

Advertisement