Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Tomorrow and the next day aren't prediction to be near as good.

So.. march is complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Perfect day in West Clare. Doesn't get better than this. 6.1kw system with South and southwest panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Jesus lads....few more of these for March and we're laughing!

Trees across the road kill me from 3:45pm - but I'm ok with that. Sadly tomorrow and Thursday aren't looking good.

Getting close to those 12 hrs of production too! 7:25am->6:45pm today when it finally dropped to zero watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

36.8 kWh total but perfect curves from both arrays. Shame tomorrow is a shocker

23.6 from South panels

13.2 from the West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Like everyone else put in a monster day but it could have been better. We had some high level clouds here in Cork until around lunch time, but still put in a great day.

Only used 46% of it though more than half want back into the grid. Saw some of the perfect smooth curves of a few of you guys and they looked great.

6.1 kWp in Cork

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Broke into the 20s for first time...finished on 25.5kwh on 6.1kw system Galway.

First time I could really see the impact of my chimney with shading even though i have optimisers. My SE string was a perfect smooth curve in dark green while the SW string in light green with a chimney went off its trajectory from about 11am. Not sure what the glitch was in the middle for about 10mins.

Glad I had turned off charging last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Another one for the lovely curve competition, don't they all have great bumps.

3kw system and of course I was working in the office yesterday so a ton exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No kidding.

18.8kWh yesterday, 0.7kWh so far today!

• Advertisement

But Friday is looking pretty sweet for Dublin anyway from the met eireann forecast at the moment (it does tend to change a bit when it's more than 2 days out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Nearly 37kwh yesterday - today 2.3 at 1pm. Think I had that produced by 9am yesterday 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How do you get that solar radiation forecast?

I use Yr.no and find it pretty accurate, but that would help massively too.

I wrote my own app for it. Pings the Met Eireann API with your lattitude/longitude and then parses the XML that's returned.

Unfortunately it's a bit integrated with my inverter details (production/battery SOC/etc), but might not be too hard to isolate out the forecasting "bits" if people were interested.

Ahh! I avoided that when it first came out. Just pulled the finger out there and wired everything up. They made it super awkward! All these special specifiers and the fact it only updates hourly. Will see if I did it correctly, it's a nice visualization but as usual with Home Assistant it's super ad-hoc, hacky and yet another new format.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that does the same, which I will post on here. Unfortunately away from home at the moment so will be a week or two before I can post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Great day yesterday, produced 14.5kwh from a 2.5kwp system facing south.

Back to normal today, might hit 2kwh if I'm lucky.😪

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

4.1 today. 40.3 yesterday. Hard to believe a 10 fold difference within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

1.1 yesterday and given it looked like today would be similar charged to 90% (60% battery only made it to 6pm yesterday). Wake up to a beautiful morning and a completely diifferent forecast for todays weather 😕

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice day today so I threw the EV into the Zappi for the first time this year and when it took 10kWh I took it off charge and left excess heat water for tonight's showers.

Good start to March

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

30.6 kw today, no downtime, with installer having addressed the grid over frequency/voltage issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Installer addressed the issue on Wed, no alarms since.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Good afternoon folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. We got a small system installed in November of last year 2.7kWh system without a battery. We are new to solar so based on previous advice we went with the Huawei SUN 2000-3KTL-L1 Hybrid Inverter as we could add a battery at a later date.

We both work from home full time but will spend a large portion of the summer away from home. During this period whatever is produced is going straight back the grid after the solar i boost heats the water.

22% self sufficient in December, 25% in January, 40% in February and although it is early days we are currently 56% for March.

We normally try to use appliances during the day when the panels are active and have managed to give very little back to the grid but based on the weather we are getting the last few days we are producing more than we need. The better the weather gets coming into the summer and the amount of time we spend away from the home in the summer we are looking into getting a battery.

The Huawei Luna 5kWh battery will set us back between 4k to 5k which is a little out of our price range currently. A guy from the SEAI came to do a check on the work the other day before they pay our grant and he advised that there are a lot of batteries out there which are much cheaper.

I would greatly appreciate if any of you on the forum could possibly recommend one that would be compatible with the inverter we have, What we might be looking at price range and for installation. Not looking for anything too fancy. Just difficult to watch the output going back to the grid.

We had our best day on Monday last generating just under 14 kWh of which almost 4 kWh went back to the grid.

Today's output attached.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by LimerickCity on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

31.7kwh today, and it was cloudy at lunchtime, as well as the daily grid overvoltage error (am onto supplier about this).

March is shaping up good so far, total consumption = 84.7, produced = 82. 9 with 100% usage 😉

Hey up mate. I did say "come march you'll be rocking along" didn't I ?! :-)

So I'd advise caution there on a battery with your setup. Not from a technical viewpoint, but from some of the things that you were saying in your commentary. You may need to expand a little on this for example.

We both work from home full time but will spend a large portion of the summer away from home. During this period whatever is produced is going straight back the grid after the solar i boost heats the water.

You might want to clarify "large portion of the summer away from home". Is this that your just not working from home, or your out of the country for example? Thinking it through, let's say it's Monday and you fill the battery - but your not in the house. Then there's no one to use that energy on Monday night to make space for the generation to be captured on the Tuesday. So in effect no matter how big the battery is, once it's full, it's just a dead weight until you empty it.

With 2.7Kwp in panels, I'd probably not couple that to anything more than 2.5kwhr or thereabouts battery. Yeah, on days like today you'll export a bit, but these are the exceptional days. Most days you won't fill a 5Kwhr battery from solar (after you take out your base load)

You will (like all of us) export some on sunny days. Think of it as you doing your bit for the environment. Your neighbor gets to consume renewable energy. Now if you can add a few more panels, then a bigger battery would start to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fortunately the 2nd was just an anomaly...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭S'

Plenty of generation today. Exported 5kWh:(

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Defo agree with @bullit_dodger here, not sure any point going to 5kwh battery with just 2.7kwp since it will rarely be fully charged.

If you go to 4kwp then yeah I can see it being filled then. Not sure if that inverter takes the pylontech batteries but they seem to be the cheapest around if you can find them.

A couple of kwh exported here and there it's not too bad but the killer is this in summer:

There's only so much washing/cooking/EVing you can do until they are all done...

Advertisement