Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

You seem a little obsessed with knowing all the intimate details of a sexual relationship between two people.

She made the allegations and has been proved to be a liar on at least one of them. Any other allegations should be clarified by her. Not him.

He does not need to contest any allegation because they are just that, allegations made on social media and not to the police.

I don't like the prick, but this witch hunt has gone too far.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Again, I revert back to my earlier post about people not being able to read legislation properly.

The Criminal Law Act 2017 sets out a range of definitions for a child which is relevant to the section of that particular Act.

For example, in section 3 of the Act, a child is referred to as someone under the age of 18 (as set out in the section) as that particular section deals with child exploitation.

In section 4 of the Act (invitation to sexual touching), a child is referred to as someone under the age of 15. Does this mean that a 15 year old is an adult in the eyes of the law? No, it just means when they say 'child' in that particular section of the Act, that they mean someone under the age of 15.

In section 18 of the Act (which allows for the amendment of section 3 of the 2006 Criminal Law Act) states with regards to a person of authority:

"(1) A person in authority who engages in a sexual act with a child who has attained the age of 17 years but is under the age of 18 years shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person who attempts to commit an offence under subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence."

Regarding this particular section, the phrase "a child who has attained the age of 17" is key here. It specifically refers to the age of consent while also acknowledging that that person is still a child.

What you need for the definition of a child in Ireland is set out in the 1991 Child Care Act and the 2001 Children's Act, both of which say a child is a person under the age of 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I saw the claims she made on twitter at the time, has she retracted them as well I wonder because its not clear from McDermotts statement.

He was always the first to jump on the PC bandwagon and was a grade A tosser but nobody should have false claims made against them no matter who they are.

The reality is no one will know what happened only the two of them.

It should be a prosecutable offense given they are looking to set the bar very low in terms of what constitutes a hate crime. This is every bit as serious, if not more serious than bullying or online abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yeah i was going to mention the subsection in regards to a person of authority, ie: teacher, coach etc but didnt see the relevance here?

But in the situation as with mr creep mcdermott, she is not a child in the eyes of the law: ie: a consensual sex act, dont you agree or do you believe yes he had sexual relations with a child?

(there was some talk earlier of him being a teacher but believe thats not the case, open to correction here)

To be honest im still surprised how many people are obsessing about his actions, creepy and all as they were without one mention of her actions which have terrible repurcussions for victims on this country

• Advertisement

Oh ffs.

Give it a rest.

A lot of people are saying he is an insufferable prick but didn't deserve a false allegation against him.

Others are saying regardless of the allegation, he was up to some shady ****.

Both are valid.

Then you come on and try and turn it into some sort of, I dunno, hatred towards effeminate men angle to prove toxic masculinity is rife or some such ****.

Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t like this guy either, but like I said then, everyone is innocent until proven guilty and anyone can say anything about anyone else on the internet, doesn’t make it true. There are far too many gullible idiots who take strangers at face value. The damage done to this guys brand is huge, even though it has all been mistruth and lies, and that is terribly unfair

You haven't read my post at all, have you?

In the eyes of the law, anyone under the age of 18 is a child in Ireland.

One section of that particular Act refers to a child as being under 15. That is relevant only to that particular section of the Act.

There are laws that give them some freedoms (such as the age of consent and the accompanying laws) but fact of the matter is the definition of a child in Ireland is set out in the 1991 Child Care Act and the 2001 Children Act.

You're literally trying to say the Act that is specifically about children is wrong about the definition of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

don’t like this guy either, but like I said then, everyone is innocent until proven guilty and anyone can say anything about anyone else on the internet, doesn’t make it true. There are far too many gullible idiots who take strangers at face value. The damage done to this guys brand is huge, even though it has all been mistruth and lies, and that is terribly unfair

So do you believe he is guilty of having sexual relations with a child so?

• Advertisement

I'll answer that question when you admit the definition of a child is one who is under the age of 18 and not whatever one you made up in your head.

I didnt make anything up in my head, i simply pointed out under the The Criminal Law Act 2017 sets out a range of definitions as to a child in certain cirumstances something you actually quoted yourself., so in that respect your quoting something ive quoted and claiming i made it up so...

But ok, yeah a child is defined under the childrens act 2001 as being anyone under the age of 18. I didnt dispite that btw but anyway

So do you think hes guilty of having sexual relations with a child?

When i was 18 i had consensual sex with a 17 year old, am i similarly guilty or not?

Should i have been investigated?

You specified that a 17 year old is an adult in the eyes of the law.

That is categorically untrue.

Now you're comparing an 18 year old (who could sit beside a 17 year old in maths class ffs) having a relationship to a 27 year old having a relationship of someone the same age.

Are you honestly not seeing the mental gymnastics you are trying to play to justify a 27 year old man having a physical relationship with a 17 year old girl as anything other than weird and inappropriate?

I've spent all of this time replying to you in good faith and now you're asking stupid questions as some weird gotcha all so you can tell yourself that it's perfectly fine and nothing to see here with regards to a 27 year old man wanting to have a physical relationship with a 17 year old girl.

As I said, under the law nobody did anything wrong here. I've stated umpteen times that a 27 year old man having a relationship with someone who is still legally a child is weird and inappropriate.

None of that says that 17 year old cannot drink alcohol.

I quoted the exact same Act you quoted where a child can be determined differently under certain circumstances.

Im not perfectly fine with his actions at all something ive referenced numerous times, in fact i think its sick, weird and inappropriate

I just find it curious that the one person in this situation who actually broke the law and not only that done untold damage to the real victims of sexual assault and the like is the one you havent mentioned at all!

And im not justifying his actions at all, im claiming under the law he done nothing wrong. Good to see you agree!

So in terms of breaking the law, what do you make of her actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just a minor grumble here..

"I've stated umpteen times that a 27 year old man having a relationship with someone who is still legally a child is weird and inappropriate."

As far as I can make out, he was 28 when he started texting her, i.e. he was at least 28 when he had sex with her, but most likely 29.

Regarding 17 being a child, and regarding alcohol...

In Ireland under the Child Care Act 1991, the Children Act 2001 and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child a child is defined as anyone under the age of 18.....

Alcohol

Under the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003, it is an offence to buy alcohol or for someone to buy it for you, if you are under age 18. It is also an offence for you to drink alcohol unless you are in a private residence and have your parents’ consent.

It is an offence for you to be in an off-licence unless you are with a parent or guardian.

From here - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/children_s_rights_and_policy/children_and_rights_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

It would also show that making allegation isnt a fun thing you can do one time and then walk away with no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No. It hasnt all been. He had sexual realations when he was in his late 20s with a 17yo school child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You must be 18 or over to buy alcohol in Ireland. It is an offence to:

Serve alcohol to a person who is under 18

Pretend to be 18 or over in order to buy alcohol

Buy alcohol on behalf of someone who is under 18

It is also an offence to give alcohol to a person who is under 18, unless it is in someone’s home, and the child has the consent of their parents.

So legally 17 years old person can't get an alcohol in Ireland. Unless they have a consent of their parents. To drink it, you need first to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I didn't realise that they drank. Was it before sex?

If he bought her alcohol, and drank it with her, that is an offence, albeit a minor one but the creepy creep factor flew off the chart.

If that is what happened. I don't know if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I don't know either. It was mentioned during discussion.

Legally they cannot buy it, or get someone to buy it if they are going to drink it anywhere except a private house. They cannot drink in licensed premises either.

It is not illegal for 17 year old to drink alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

27 year old man or maybe older has a sexual relationship with a girl still in school. This man may not have done anything illegal but he's a creepy scumbag. That should be an easy thing for everyone to admit. Having read boards.ie though, you just know the women hating men will defend the scumbag and target the girl instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Having read boards.ie though, you just know the women hating men will defend the scumbag and target the girl instead.

Not in this case though.

In this case because the man is such a woke crusader, the women hating men hate him more than they hate the women.

So people should be fired based on your likes and dislikes? Cool, cheers for clearing this all up.

It matters not one iota if you agree with it or not. He broke no law there and was accused of it on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

I was 17 when I went to college too, turned 18 that December. But my folks were still entitled to claim Child Benefit until I turned 18 while in full time education.. so yes 17 is still a child. A teenager, but a child in the law.

When I was in college, child benefit was paid for those in full time education until they were 21. Was I a child when I was 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If a 27 year old man went anywhere near my daughter when she was 17 he would have got broken up

• Advertisement

Again, you've just made up things I never said. What about any of my posts have I stated he should have been fired?

I was asked a question and I offered my opinion, as have other people in this thread.

EDIT: And before you follow this up with a question, why should I answer any question you ask since you just attribute remarks to me that I never said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement