Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

You can only summon spirits at certain times, bosses/areas with certain enemies afaik. Most of the time there’s no enemies about ive seen it greyed out

Ah yeah that, you need to have the icon of a grave stone on the left of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will try that next time I'm at a statue sound. At the moment I'm contemplating leaving my 2k ruins to bloody finger that angry twat.

Back at Round Table Hold, and thought I'd drop down and try the NPC with improved stuff and for some reason looked to my right as I was about to hop down and spotted an NPC I met an age ago. After a chat he hands me a +8 Rapier with C dex scaling and a 17 requirement.

How does this compare to other souls games? I'm tempted by the hype but I've been burned by this series too much. Sekiro is the only one I truly enjoyed

• Advertisement

It's very much Dark Souls 4, with them shaking it up a bit. You have the open world to travel meet people but the meat and bones of the game fundamentally takes place in areas like the previous games with pretty much similar or the same weapons etc . There are differences there too to the systems but look it's Dark Souls 4 only they are calling it Elden Ring.

Took a jaunt around Limgrave, beat 3 dungeons, got to level 17 with 18 strength and a +2 longsword. Ready for Margit.... nope. I'm convinced anyone who thinks he's easy is using a magic build. Also jellyfish spirit can get in the bin.

Loving it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The jellyfish is great if used correctly, can inflict some very handy poison damage on some very tricky foes 👀

How does one use a Jellyfish correctly? I have had that and the hound apply poison/rot respectively exactly once each so far in early 30 hours. Though I haven't touched spirit tuning other than advancing the npc to offering it. Maybe investing in it improves the odds? I've seen the Jellyfish hit 5 or 6 times in succession and not have any DOT on the enemy . That said I've used various arrows I've not got DOT in a reasonable amount too in this which makes me think it's different this time out?

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I used it on

Godrick. Myself and the NPC hacked away while the jellyfish poisoned Godrick. Then it was a matter of staying alive in phase two and chipping away at his health bar while the poison did its work.

• Advertisement

Reason I ask is I put 20+ poison and different type arrows into a few targets and ok I've not invested in range and magic etc. but in previous games you'd expect to see DOT after 5 or 6 arrows regardless.

Wondering about the changes this times out. Would take someone to finish the game to confirm if there is NG+ but after getting the second great rune I had a raised eye brow that made me think not actually, especially seeing as armour can't be upgraded and traditional soft caps don't look like they apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Yeah I find the jellyfish to be really useful in certain situations, whereas the wolves are better in others. Horses for courses really, I'm mostly alternating between those two.

The jellyfish can draw the attention of a boss long enough for you to do some damage, and it inflicts poison damage which keeps going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just lost a crap load of runes because I decided to kill an isolated canon fodder enemy how turned into a massive bear....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I hit a pot that turned into a person, beat that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yup. Having spent the first few hours in the open world, I've been in Stormveil Castle for a bit now, and while carefully running along narrow plinths at the side of a tower rather than just taking the obvious path on the ground, I thought "Now this is Dark Souls...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I haven't done Stormveil yet, but beat the boss at the start of it. What level are you supposed to be to complete that? I have been leaving it for ages and went off and did everything else, might be a bit overlevelled

I don’t think there’s any set level recommendations due to the nature of builds and the more open-ended structure, but I finished Stormveil in the early-mid 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

I would appreciate some direction. Ive just Killed the 3rd main boss rennela but im not sure what the linear path to go next is . I read up that that you have to go through the Grand lift of decus and onto the Capital area which Ive done but the area seems im not levelled enough for it

At that point myself. First thing to do is go back and chat to everyone at Round Table Hold and upgrade if possible. I've looked east and been north a bit and found I was a little under levelled/geared so I'm going to try south as I haven't been that way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Managed to respec my character and now I'm doing a lot more damage to enemies. Delighted!

I also got to level up my 2 imp lads to +3. I'm sure there's better summons out there, but I'm determined to finish the game with those two beautful b*stards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

When you respec does it return all your levels or reset you to where you were after character creation?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

You get to reallocate all of the levels you've achieved from the start of the game, but the base stats for that class remain the same

The performance on ps5 is getting to me, very stuttery. If i slowly move the camera around, there's a slight judder every 2 to 3 seconds. Moving around quickly can look and feel choppy. Weird how ps5 seems to be the best performing and i know it's a lot worse on pc but is anyone else getting that on ps5?

Also, there should be a restriction on messages on the ground. Maybe only a certain amount allowed on a server in a specific area at a time or instead of giving a negative/positive rating, we should be able to rate them as sh1t tier and enough of those deletes the message. 'fort, nite' 'but hole', 'try gesture'. Just puts me off even reading the message which is a pity as there are some genuinely helpful/funny/devious ones there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Df was saying PS4 pro gave the most consistent performance. Ps5 meant to have trouble hitting 60 and drops to 30 constantly with bad frame pacing.

PC is constant 60 with the loading stutters intermittently. It's annoying but not ruining the game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No I think they said the PS4 Pro version played on PS5 gave the most solid performance because it's checkerboard rendered.

Ah yes you're right.

Downloading the ps4 version now, will see how that compares.

Big difference on the ps4 version for **** sake. Smooth as butter and still looks great. Plays much better than the ps5 version for me. Only thing is there's no save transfer so i either lose 8 hours and start new but then if ps5 version gets patched, I'll have to ditch my ps4 save. Gonna download ps5 version again (thought i could only have one installed at a time) to make a quick compare video.

The preferred path seems to be north or at least thats the way most of us have gone it's fair to say?

I tried south of the starting area for an hour there and it's absolutely trivial to me at level high 40 something.

• Advertisement

After clearing a lot of the dungeons but still having trouble with Margit, i headed south and found a castle with a side quest, enjoyable but handy enough. Think that's as far south as you can go though.

Advertisement