Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts Megathread 2 - too cheap to pay for a witty title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I make "GCN Energy Bars" if you google it (can't find the soft copy of the recipe). I swap the oil for 100g of butter in the recipe. I haven't made them for a while as they're so nice they're too much of willpower test off the bike (I normally make up half the recipe for that reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fancy Dans with ye're foreign bars. A boiled egg and a boiled spud, you should have plenty of salt deposits about your person should you require a pinch :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eggs & spuds? is it not akward using a knife and fork whilst holding onto the hoods?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

250 gms oats

3scopps protein

Plenty raisins

3 tablepsoons good quality nut butter

A good squeeze of honey & spalsh of milk to bind etc.

You will adjust the liquid to taste depending on your preference. I prefer mine slightly mosit to aid chewing on the bike as dry falky bars are awful to eat in motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Anyway, slightly back On Topic - Harvest Morn Granola bars and/ or Go Bakes for the bargain on bike food!

I'd pay good money to watch a man ate a boiled egg with a knife and fork! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Elite Suito T reduced to 399 on the Zwift website, don't think I've seen a full smart trainer that cheap since pre COVID times, if ever. Would be good for anyone considering starting out on Zwift over the winter months

https://www.zwift.com/eu/shop/product/elite-suito-t?utm_medium=button-ecomm&utm_campaign=zwift_eu_suito_promo_jan21&Cassette+Type=10-Speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just ordered a Bontrager XxX wavecel helmet from Sigma sport. Reduced to €135 at the moment including shipping and taxes etc. been looking at them for a couple of years but couldn’t justify the €250+ they normally are

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bontrager/XXX-WaveCel-Helmet/M3UQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Rapha some decent priced sale items (jerseys from €49) rapha.cc/eu/en/sale/category/sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I haven't really been following these but if the 25% off is real, this is worthwhile

Kickr V5 for €900, Kickr Core for €600

https://www.bergfreunde.eu/wahoo-kickr-core-indoor-trainer-turbo-trainer/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

I guess it's the season (for discounted turbo trainers) - CRC has Elite Direto for €521.

I am slightly tempted but is Elite any good overall..?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think it’s worth it at that price. I bought the Direto XR version ( only difference is it comes with the cassette fitted) last July for €650. It’s a good trainer, haven’t any complaint about it through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭devonp

POC have a sale on sunglasses ...not everybody's cup of tea ....not all frames available...but if you like em (I do)

https://www.pocsports.com/collections/sunglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

coming up as 491 now

buy in £. the exchange rates on those website is ridiculous

Specialized have a helmet trade in amnesty up to 50% off. Get an s-works prevail vent 2 for 160 euro. That's 139 euro off, down from 299.

They're running low on sizes in Brown's Barn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Bambaata

This info just in store? Cant find anything online for the IE shop?

It's not just in Ireland if you Google it. Ends March 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I just bought an sworks Prevail vent from Brownsbarn shop, always a pleasure to deal with those lads. I have the older prevail 2 and a 2020 evade, but there is always a risk of breaking one, and they only last 5 years at best before needing to be replaced, plus, the old prevail can be relegated to dirty MTB spins :) The way I see it is, I pay at least e120 for a helmet anyway, so e30 more for an extremely comfortable top of the line lid is a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The full list of helmets available. I emailed to ask them if they recycled the old ones or are they just landfill. If the latter, then I don't see the point unless you really want one of their helmets. But I'm forever looking for a way to recycle old helmets. They didn't answer that,, but gave me the list of helmets

• Allign MIPS --  €35
    • Echelon II MIPS -- €50
    • Propero III -- €70
    • Chamonix MIPS -- €45
    • Centro LED -- €45
    • Ambush Comp -- €56
    • Ambush -- €100
    • S-Works Prevail Vent II -- €160

Worth going seeing them to try them on. The vent colours white, black, black/maroon, and sand/ chrome look very drab in the pics. In the flesh they're much nicer. Black is quite unremarkable alright. Nicest one is the "sand" which is an off white.

Also the ones on display are all small and they look amazing. Really tidy and neat. But then you ask for a large and it's a big mushroom on your head :D.

Sizing has changed as well from previous prevails. Mine is a large but the new one is larger still. Too big for me. If I was buying now I'd be a medium but they didn't have any mediums left in a colour I liked. I didn't like the black enough to shell out a ton sixty for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

I thought this was a bargain tbh: https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-dura-ace-r9100-11-speed-groupset-97454.html

Ordered one yesterday morning and it was dispatched yesterday afternoon.

Nice one. Though I distinctly remember a pre-covid deal down around the 1000 euro. I suppose with inflation, it's the same amount now!

I ordered a langerload of these yesterday for myself and two mates.

https://www.bike24.com/p2464.html

Conti tubes for 3.61 each. Postage is a tenner so a group or bulk buy is worth orchestrating. - max 25mm width tyres (which is all a roadie has ever needed or will ever need!!:)) but it includes 42, 60 and 80mm valve lengths. 80mm valve length tubes are normally in excess of 8 euro, and in a bricks and mortar shop you can pay 12.99 for one. So - knock yerselves out, fill ye're boots!

Here's another bargain I availed off yesterday with some other lads:

3 euro per camelbak is a steal and they really really last, much much better and longer and your normal bottle.

Postage is steep at 30 euro, but over 100 quid you get free postage. So, again, go bulk.

Post edited by fat bloke on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

analogue ultegra is €1,140; i remember when i was buying my groupset (in a B&M shop) i had the choice of 6800 for €600 or 8000 for about €800. i went with the former. granted, that was i think three and a half years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Yeah, I bought r8000 when it was first released back in 2018 and I’m pretty certain I paid about £750 gbp, but on the merlin site the spec I wanted (172.5mm 52/36 and 11-28) was coming in about 1330, so it was a no brainier to cough up the extra 270 for dura ace.

God be with the days, I bought r8000 for under 700 euro pre covid, and the mrs got r8000 supplied and fitted in a bike shop for 800 quid just before the proverbial hit the fan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I'm a medium in previous models, I'm hoping that the medium will still fit me oops... Yeah, they had only 2 colors left in the medium, the matt black and the maroon and black, I went with the maroon, I'm tired of seeing 'stealth' black everywhere 😖 boring. I'd have loved the green/chameleon one, or the 'speed of light' one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I already got this awhile ago and still have 49 tubes sitting in work for anyone interested.

Advertisement