Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm involved on the local War Of Independence committee. I heard a historian say once, he heard of an old IRA guy once say that the young men in the area were willing to die for their country. Problem was he couldn't get them to go training in the rain. 😀

I wonder how many of the volunteers gone to Ukraine will be hit that reality. Creature comforts like a warm bed and food will be a harsh reality to deal with, once they get there.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Ireland could give military equipment such as helmets, boots, clothing, first aid kits, rain gear, water canisters. These are not lethal weapons and don't break any rules.

They could also give some basic military training to anyone going back to the Ukraine to fight, even if it was only a couple of hours of basic training. Firing a weapon is not like what you see in Hollywood. The gun has a hard recoil. Rifles are even stronger. Simple stuff like how to operate the Guns safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The propaganda being spouted now is every bit as bad as during covid if not worse.

Cant seem to post a link. But Ukraine is saying over 5000 russians killed, pentagon estimates 1200-2000 and Russia says 500. Go figure...

Would think that what we are bombarded with here is very different to what the reality is on the ground out there.

We could be in for longer term issues with currency/inflation.

When all this settles, china, russia and many other countries may not want to hold anywhere near the same reserves of foreign curreny. It could mean a lot of dollars and euros flowing back, driving inflation for years to come irrespective of monetary policy.

Much of our wealth in the west has been built on loose money that has been absorbed by poorer countries. If there's less printed money being absorbed iteans that more discipline is needed in budgets or else you go the way of Argentina with very large inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Less chance of dying in the Irish army than farming

More hypothetical hurling from the ditch 👏

I've been following Putin/Russia for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The Western world is dealing with a meglomanic, and it seems a huge swath of the general population is along for the ride, 20 plus years of psycho-ops on the population seems to have worked

https://mobile.twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1499308474563534849

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

He was hiding under his bed from Covid a few weeks ago ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Scarier than that is the hashtag "I stand with Putin" is trending

• Advertisement

What have you done Tanko, nothing I'd suppose, another hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The western world has really boomed with the last 40 years ,I remember back then it was very rare to see a new car in the parish .Nowadays every tom ,dick and harry can buy new cars .Was alot of this higher standard of living down to cheap energy .Like with diesel heading for over 2 euro and rising ,will this put a stop to all our gallop .Example the housing crisis ,the country is full of vacant property but any of it ant suitable for housing because of such ridiculous high standards .There was a debate over on another thread about new A rated energy being made available for housing people who never work reared out of corporation houses themselves and acoss the street working class ppeople skrimping for a deposit to buy some of these 'inferior'1960's corporation houses .Its mad Ted !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Get back to watching Fox News and the BBC like a good lad.

Proving my point, good lad. Your only contributions in this thread are to take swipes at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He may have the gas flowing but that is about it. Today IKEA closed its stores in Germany and Belruss laying of 17k workers. Putin had 650 billion in foreign reserves but kicking him out of SWIFT and other financial sanctions means he cannot deploy them to protect his economy. He cannot export oil, coal or other commodities except maybe grain. It's the first time the large western democracies have decided to squeeze the economic life out of a fairy large economy. It will be interesting to watch.

After Crimean sanctions Putin decided to make Russia more independent for food, mainly meat and dairy products. However they are still hugely dependent on the west for manufactured goods from Cars to phone leads. They have never directly imported from Asia

It was interesting on the history thread where a few Putin bots were on about Russian tanks rolling into Paris. They are struggling with a small second world military power. This again smells of Afghanistan when they took it over in the 80's and it was one of the reasons for the collapse of the USSR. As we see they are not really the military power that many believe.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The first tweet I've seen that explains why masses of Russian trucks, including 15 million dollar air defence ones included have been left abandoned with blown out tires, it just goes to show how fu**kin sloppy the Russian army actually are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I find it mental that we want the country to be anything other than militarily unaligned. We can and should be vocal and calling out gobshites who are acting the maggot, and help where we can. But helping doesn't mean sending guns and weapons, there are other ways. We pack a punch much more than many bigger nations. Our soft power in the world is extraordinary. And that's not because we're mad hoors for fighting, but mad hoors for the craic!

And this talk of not forcing yer kids join and army if they don't want is right and proper. But how do ya feel about them being made join and sent into war zones as part of NATO or something? That's where we head if we start moving away from "neutrality". Or how about like the Ukraine where now if ya have balls, you ain't leaving the country. Not such a good position to be in if I'm honest.

I disagree wholeheartedly that weapons is the way we must support.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A Cash and Carry in Enniscorthy donated 26 pallets of stock.

It'll be drove out in their lorry to Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

I am all for us all for being neutral. The West are by no means angles in many recent conflicts.

After the talks today between the French President and Putin I don't think any country can stand by let this catastrophy happen in front of our eyes. Putin was meant to have told Macron that he will not stop till he takes the whole of Ukraine. Given Ukraine's stance it will mean mass deaths, injuries and structural damage. It's just so wrong in 2022. All the grand speeches by political leaders at memorials over the last eighty years of 'we must never let this happen in our time' was just words. We don't even have got to go back to WW2 many Western politicians acknowledged that the Yugoslavian Bosnian conflict should have been stopped much sooner. Words will be of no use to the dead when all this ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Listening to Macron today it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to actually do something to help Ukraine. It's clear Biden isn't interested. So it's up to Europe to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Once Putin goes after Poland or Estonia the virtue signallers saying 'Down with NATO' and whataboutering Statesian aggression will start to quake in their boots.

The fact that PBP and similar anti-war softies have been allowed to flourish is just a result of how good we've had it in de West since the end of the cold war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Look at the UN in rwanda, should have acted quicker. Ended in genocide. I think ita time to act, putin will make ukraine pay for all these sanctions. How pathetic Macron looks atm, where is Germany and Italy? Tory party infiltrated. Spain are sending anti tank missiles and guns at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

We delude ourselves.

We have this notion of importance, and that our neutrality brings us some sort of raised acceptance.

Our nutrality is a sham.

Someone is being mugged on the street and we walk to the other side to avoid it....thats not being neutral....that's being gutless..

Russian businessman Alex Konanykhin has placed a $1 million bounty on Vladimer Putin's head and urged the country's military leaders to bring the president to justice.

I'd swear those military flights into Japanese and into that exercise in swedish airspace a few days ago was the military begging for Nato to go to war with them and either directly attack putin with his location provided to Nato or the excuse the military need to take out Putin to save from a nuclear war.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Question is though would the troops on the ground send the missles if given the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Well i suppose in relation to the new cars most of the older ones were scrapped in the scrappage scheme a few years back, people i would imagine are commuting more than ever before for work so a reliable car is a must, it cost a hell of a lot more to tax and insure an older vehicle too. Id be happy enough driving a Toyota from the 90s myself i had one in Australia and a Mitzubishi from that era in New Zealand too and they never gave a bit of trouble and they both did fair mileage to be fair to them but i wasnt relying on them getting me to work every morning at the same time as much as id love an old Corolla, Carina or Camry as a daily car it wouldnt be anyway practical and would be more suited as a Sunday car.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I'm puzzled why they are not using their stealth bombers to take out that Russian convoy. They are complete sitting duck targets, the stealth bombers would come and be gone without anyone knowing who or wtf is after happening. Even if it's obvious after they could just deny deny deny just like Putin and his cronies are doing.

Stealth aircraft get shot down too. Plus conclusions can be drawn from action leaving lack of evidence. If you're going to risk ww3, which I think we're already in tbh, then go in decisively not half assed. The much talked about convoy hasn't done much the last three days, the Ukrainians have already started nibbling at it. Troops short of food, out of date rations, no fuel, sleeping outdoors in Ukraine in a war zone in March aren't going to be happy lads. As Reggie mentioned, people who know how would want to have the situation very well fleshed out with whomever on the other end is responsible for the actual firing of nuclear weapons.

An interesting morsel today, Ukraine actually has some of it's pilots already trained (previous to this conflict, not because of it) on the US A-10, which si due to go out of service. It's the ideal aircraft to chew on these convoys.

In other news, don't remember if it's been mentioned, Finish President Niinistro, pretty much an expert on Putrid is in Washington tomorrow for what I saw described as an unscheduled meeting with Biden. I think Finland and Sweden will join NATO quite soon thanks to Putrids fcuk acting.

• Advertisement

Looks like Putin (the government) may be about to declare martial law in Russia.

Wealthy Russians are racing to flee the country before it comes in.

Rumour mill always the rumour mill. Is that Putin has rockets aimed at Moscow to blame on the Ukrainians (false flag) so that martial law can come in and Kyiv can be flattened by bigger bombs and the Ukrainian president and government destroyed.

Advertisement