Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaspersky Anti Virus Software

• 03-03-2022 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

In the current environment is Kaspersky a good antivirus software to have on your company?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

if it’s nudey carry on then yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Likely better than having Norton with their the mining software.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

An interesting thing happened last night, I searched for an United Kingdom website - FIAT.co.uk, (as I had seen a UK reg FIAT pickup yesterday in Dublin and was unaware of it's existence), however Kaspersky (never did this before) blocked the site (see below message), it did load the page, but only after a good few move attempts! So hence the question I posted above. With the current environment I just think could my own Anti-Virus work against me, and stop me getting online! I know its a global company but it's origins is Russian. I am now considering moving to Bitdefender Antivirus, I used to used Norton years ago and I found it terrible - too big on space on the Hard Drive and too demanding on the processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

Generally speaking, if using recent versions on Windows and they are updated regularly you don't really need any antivirus because Windows already includes a decent one.

Now, the antivirus is a very powerful program that can be perfectly of today and it can turn into something really nasty with the next update. It can be something scummy as Norton did as mentioned before, or it can be something really evil depending on who is pushing the updates. In this particular case this is a company founded by an ex-KGB. So you decide. If you want my opinion, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole even before all this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

And Kaspersky was correct to do so. Just like the message says, their SSL cert covering fiat.co.uk expired three years ago.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where your looking, but I've checked the SSL Cert for the Fiat.co.uk and it's a valid cert and not three years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just tried it and it hasn't tried to stop me.

Okay, thanks Mav11, do you use Kaspersky?

I'm not picking on the FIAT website, however if the SSL cert was out of date, well that's different story, but I'm just asking whether Kaspersky is a safe product to continue to use in the current environment? I don't want to get a whole political tread going here, but could the long tentacles of the Kremlin use Kaspersky to f#ck with us?

I am indeed using Kaspersky for a number of years now, having given up on the rest, Norton, McAffe etc. and never had a problem with it.

Windows Defender built in is perfectly fine, all the other AV products out there only serve to slow down your computer.

• Advertisement

I imagine that any AV doing its job, Defender included, will impact on computer speed. I find Kaspersky to be one of the lightest on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hmm, I'm sure if you know very much about certificates.

If you look at the image that you posted you will see that it was issued by Kaspersky.

Your AV software is doing a man in the attack and intercepting your encrypted communications.

The valid certificate for Fiat.co.uk is as below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Haven't used any anti-virus software in years, not since I got a pc with a Windows 10 operating system. It was explained to me that it wasn't required as 'Windows defender' was much better.

I believe that too as I've never had a single computer virus or attack since changing over.

However on earlier pc's loaded with full anti-virus software, getting viruses warnings was a regular occurrence, leading me to think this whole Anti -virus industry is . . maybe a bit of a scam?

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

Might be. A bit like health or any kind of insurance, you buy it and hope you never need to use it. But if you need it........................!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Fiat.co.uk and www.fiat.co.uk aren't the same site. WWW is pointed at the Akamai CDN, and has a current cert. But fiat.co.uk is left pointing at their original pre-CDN server and has a cert that expired in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Defender ATP for the enterprise is very good, the basic out of the box version not so much imo.

How Israel Caught Russian Hackers Scouring the World for U.S. Secrets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Yeah, what I should have added is that I haven't needed to 'pay' for a subscription for any anti-virus product since getting my Windows 10 OS.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

My Kaspersky is up for renewal but not going with this for obvious reasons

Is it best just to stick with Windows defender?

Take it that I just remove Kaspersky and then turn on Defender ?

In theory, thats all you should need to do. Make sure you restart after uninstalling Kaspersky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement