Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Not all employees will be relocations. Also, property prices (to buy) are still low in Dublin vs comparable tech hubs (usa, canada, zurich, london, ).

Id also expect some redundancies in the tech sector once the Fed starts hiking rates. Too many unprofitable/barely profitable companies. Who knows, even profitable FB might start trimming headcount at some point.

Oil up $5 again. Wheat jumping up from one trading break to the next.

at this point holding property is safer than owning EUR. Sterling hitting the highest level since the referendum against the EUR (funny giving that according to the Irish press, Brexit is an unmitigated disaster…). If the ecb doesn’t act , the EUR will disappear this decade.

inflation will be brutal this year and punishing the Irish middle class. Loving it 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Dogecoin is a scrypt based cryptocurrency. It's a true currency in that it is independent of other blackchains. Reward are controlled by the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

That's absolutely grim!

According to The Irish Council for International Students and the Union of Students in Ireland, a crisis in student accommodation is forcing many international students into overcrowded accommodation.

Almost half of all English language students taking part in an ICOS survey at the outset of the pandemic were sharing a room with three or more people, with 11% of the students sharing a room with six or more other people. Only 10% had their own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

These people don't vote so FF and FG don't care about them. They are fodder for rental demand to prop up the housing market. One student can't afford to rent a room alone in the country? No problem, pack a few into a room and ensure the average rent for a room stays at 1000 per month, which keeps rental yields and property prices high.

Weirdly, to question whether it is sustainable to not have any checks on the borders, for non-EU people (as we cannot stop EU people), somehow this is painted as being anti-immigration and possibly even racist even though it is the establishment of FF and FG who are "anti-immigrants" who only take in all these non-EU students to exploit them. It's unsustainable in so many outlooks to just pile em high and keep em coming. Again, demand is there until it isn't and our demand for rentals is definitely there but only to a point. Any sort of reversal in demand for rentals and our whole market will go into reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the euro should be fine, provided governments and institutions do what needs to be done, when its needed, theres too much for all of us to lose if theres a major euro crash, including you....

My ex gf rented in D5 for while paying 350 for the top bunk in a room of 4 people, when leaving unless you got another poor soul to take your bed there was no deposit returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

My girlfriend was staying in a 6 bedroom house that slept 35 (mostly bunk beds) on Leeson Street when I met her 5 years ago. Kitchen was a bit of a war zone at dinner time but apart from that it was fine.

I did the same when I lived in Australia, 8 people in my room, I don't see too much of a problem with it when you're young, living abroad, don't have too much stuff and want to keep the costs down.

...id class it as dysfunctional living, may seem fun, but a nightmare if you re trying to rest for studies or work, ive experienced hostel living while studying, not much fun, there was also workers staying in the same place, dublin, a few years ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I know a few Romanians who are doing this. They're all in their 30s, and they pay hundreds a month for the pleasure of it.

What sickens me about this is that the state will pontificate about things like diversity and all of that when in reality, they merely wish to import people to abuse for wealth generation. The state and older generations are condemning younger generations to increasingly lower living standards just to keep themselves in pay and pensions.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Until this carry on is allowed, until these people are allowed to walk this land.. people of Ireland will forever struggle.

Post edited by SmokyMo on

Granted Eoghan Murphy was the most useless housing minister the state has ever seen.

When David McWilliams talks about the "Property Industrial Complex" in Ireland its the likes of the below he's referring to.

Id like to think I’m well insulated from such an event.

but I’d happily take a hit myself to see the end of this bloody circus.

its impossible to know exactly what being insulated means, as its been so long since a major currency has collapsed, and since theres so much to lose from such an event, it may never be truly allowed to occur, but who knows.....

i suspect no one would be safe from such an event either....

Murphy only seems useless if we assume that he ambition is to create a healthy housing market that favours the Irish people. If, however, we consider that he is acting to turn the said Irish working people into wealth-generating units then he is far from useless.

One of the biggest problems here is that we let state officials off the hook by accusing them of being stupid or incompetent. To explain away the current housing situation as the product of incompetence would suggest to me a level of inability that would be off the scale. I cannot look at what is happening here and in other European countries and see anything but malice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Using the states natural resources to control the population!

Remind you of any other prominent regime

It's corruption and it is endemic in Ireland. Our housing policies are designed to push cash into the pockets of institutionals. Even the housing "charities" have an institutional representative working with them to ensure more cash is funnelled into the pockets of the institutionals. There is nothing stable about it and it can crash for that reason that in a lot of ways the market is being propped up by the State with little justification outside of State cash for the high rents and prices we are seeing. Is it sustainable? Well, the ECB seems to think it can keep printing money and handing it to our government to pursue these policies.

Euraud eurnzd eurusd and eurgbp dropping every day. 1month implied volatilities going bonkers, soon these drops will become bigger :)

going to australia/nz/uk looking mightily attractive for tradespeople again.

good for house prices ;)

the sooner this abomination of a currency is finished, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

What gets me is the people doing this are generally considered ‘respectable’ members of society. I have two friends who would have condemned this until thanks to fortunate circumstances they were able to buy investment properties themselves and proceeded to charge extortionate rents themselves. I am disgusted by it and yes, maybe cowardly but I can’t actually tell lifelong friends that I think what they’re doing is disgusting.

Many of the people engaging in rent extortion are our friends and family, do we say anything to them? Why isn’t it morally unacceptable? The me feinism and greed in this country are unreal. People sound off about it until they have the opportunity to jump onboard themselves. Incidentally I am a landlord as well, I charge well below the market rent. My conscience wouldn’t let me charge the market rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

• Advertisement

I understand not wanting to fall out with someone, but it's possible to call out bad behaviour without making it personal.

Personal example: My grandfather bought my two aunts a house in Clare back in the 90s. It was a nice 19th century house in a small village with a big garden. My aunts, however, never took care of the house, and both of them eventually moved out. Today, the house is essentially ruined from neglect, and would not be livable without considerable renovation (the roof is rotting, for example). I've told both of them that they squandered my grandfather's gift, and that letting a perfectly good house rot is reprehensible. I was never angry or condescending, but I told them what I think. They didn't like hearing it, but they both know that it's true.

Indecently, one of them is a vehement leftist who regularly pontificates on the housing crisis by saying that "the government" needs to do more to help people get houses. That rings rather hollow when it's from someone who let a perfectly livable house fall to ruin...

You sound like a decent landlord, but it's the behaviour of many of your colleagues that stains the whole group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Quite simply rent controls have caused all of the issues we see now. Ever changing legislation just keeps making it worse.

SmokyMo is obviously well off if they can afford to give below market rent to their tenants. Because it will effect the value of their house a lot, when the decide to sell. Obviously they arent worried about the long term risk of getting a bad tenant either.

Most landlords have to consider all these things and also that the rent control now ensures they will be losing money every year forward due to inflation.

They cant build up a pot to pay for unexpected issues. Also they cant build up a pot to get them, over the long haul if they ever get a bad tenant who wont leave.

100% of the blame for the current rewtal supply and prices is down to the government and their interference. of course so many landlords leaving is going to have a a big effect. People would rather get out than stay in under the current rules. New entrants will not be there either with the risk. Only REITS and councils, who are buying up everything anyway and bidding against ordinary citizens, driving prices up too. Not to mentio sweet deals with the irish tax payer to pay the rent for 30 years to the REITs.

I see no way back from this point

I think that the only way out is a crash of some sort, but that would be a case of saving the crop from mold by burning the field. Regardless, the future is not looking bright. It's a fine mess that's being created for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

What is the alternative than to compromise. Continue paying higher rents how will you be saving paying more rent and trying to save at the same time as apposed to just paying a mortgage then the hope that prices will fall when the majority of the indicators would suggest they will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. Ask anyone who went into negative equity after 08 how much better off would they have been to rent instead of buying in pre 08 and the majority will tell you they were better off buying. Negative equity only hits if you have to sell and anyone in dire straights has the "family home" protection in Ireland its like having a free throw at the dice when you think about it and although we go through peaks and troughs with regards to property prices one thing that historical data proves is that house prices in the main have trended upwards since buying property began. Look do whats right for yourself buy , dont buy its no skin off my nose but you need to clear about the facts

And when the ecconomy gets moving again the other parts of this equation will also move also such as the levels of migration come back into play already another 20k+ bodies from the Ukraine to find housing for thats before one other foreign person steps foot in here if we go back to the migration of 2015- 2019 where 50k+ people were emigrating inwards then anyone waiting on a house has another tidal wave of competition for a very small supply of housing. If the goalposts remained the same which is what your basing your logic on and people stopped shagging and popping out kids and we closed our borders your theory would hold some weight but its not really realistic

But the fact is if those restrictions were lifted property prices would rocket up again so they are undervalued. This is a fact

Inflation also nibbles away at savings , safer bet for anyone who has cash to invest in something like a property to rent in Ireland with a government backed ROI for up 25 years for security of risk and returns you can not really do much better out there globally. leave it in the bank and in a years time it will be worth a lot less.

...again, do you realise the dangers of such an event, it would probably mean a catastrophic global crash, where effectively nobody would be safe from, yes the euro has some very serious issues, but going back simply isnt an option...... willing it on, well thats just weird and kinna messed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Trying to solve Dublin's housing situation purely on the demand side would need something like the Chinese Hukou system, never mind immigration restrictions.

• Advertisement

If they can save now while renting and can keep saving, I would be building up more cash at least for one or two more years, as it is undoubtedly the worst time in recent history the past year to buy. I also maintain that we haven't learned our lessons that lead to 08 so even though house prices have climbed back up the last 10 years, I don't think that has been a stable climb and could see the whole last twenty years of housing market growth being stripped away when the direction of the market changes (ie the State isn't redirecting cash into the market to inflate costs and institutionals are not dictating policy like they have been). With the Shinners in power the housing crisis will get worse before it gets better so I could see, in the absence of a global financial crisis, the trend for renting over buying to continue to dominate.

Further, the trends are for home owners to become the minority in the next decade or so which means that the majority of the population, who vote, will welcome a housing market decline or a crash as they will be renters who, quite simply, have no stake in a booming property market. This is where we are heading in 10 years from now which, for me, indicates that housing costs will be lower in 10 years than they are today as who holds the voting power will dictate policy and that is who will hold the voting power, unless something drastically changes.

And that is not even to touch the pension timebomb; in 25 years we will have a whole generation of people retiring who never were able to buy and will need to be provided for in terms of pensions and housing from when they stop working until they die. The solution to this timebomb is of course to raise funds to cover the costs of putting a safety net under these people but another solution is for housing costs to be gutted as that will make it far cheaper for the government to have to provide for these retiring renters (remembering that policy today is trending towards renters being the vast majority of the population in 25 years the way things are going).

Advertisement