Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Quite decisive- no need for a 50:50 or phone a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I pretty confident the man is a psychopath. I don’t think he would have any mental anguish over firing some nukes, he may well relish the opportunity.

The photos of him as a child are disturbing, clearly there was someone off with him from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Given Putin's tendency to be in the limelight, might he be trying to bate NATO and the US into military action against his units in order for an excuse to be the first in the world to fire a nuke in anger? Putin's instability knows no bounds. Time the west accepted that he needs to be removed along with his yes men. We could step up the pressure on China in this regard too. If China pulled the plug on him it would speed up the end for Russia's madman.

Dan.

Just a callout to Channel 4 news all week- they’ve played a blinder in terms of their news coverage. They had former chess champion Gary Kasparov (a big Pukeon critic) on yesterday - he gave a great chess analogy. In chess, you have all the information available to you, both for your own moves and your opponent - everything is in the open.

Putin doesn’t play chess-,he’s been playing poker all these years and mostly bluffing but the west has folded again and again - we now need to call his bluff-that’s a powerful statement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

It must be very challenging for the defending Ukrainians to get some rest and some sleep during this standoff and the 30 mile l? Long of army vehicles. I hope that the Ukrainians do not allow the vehicle drivers ,etc, etc, what about the unarmed civilians in the area BANGING tins , frying pans. Or whatever with sticks , fire an odd shot into the air , Playing loud music , let a heard of cattle lose ., let off fire crackers now and and again , . What about a few local farmers driving their tractors to the local pubs and leave the pubs late and. DRIVE HOME in 3 gear weaving in and out the long convoy. You get the drift. . I forgot how pigeons might be used .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,185 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Clearing the skys means fighting Russians in the sky and starting a war with them so they'd be entitled to attack NATO back and then wed have boots on on the ground because the theatre of war would be expanded to include NATO.

What's the difference between NATO attacking Russia on the ground or in the air? NATO is either in or out, and for now we're out. Clearing the sky's means we're in and there is no such thing as half-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I absolutely hate what this scum is doing. It is absolutely despicable. I hope somebody beheads him. But to say Ireland isn't safe is probably wrong. To advise someone to stay in Brazil instead of come back to Ireland is in my view quite hysterical. But look fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Nuclear winter , Brazil be not safe either sure.

In fairness most Russians looked like that back then- impoverished unsmiling down trodden

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

1000s arrested for peaceful protesting.

15 years in jail if you mention the words "war" or "invasion"

All independent media shut, with journalists fleeing the country.

A loaf a bread about to cost a stuffed wheelie bin of cash.

1000's of dead young men returning in zinc coffins killed in "training accidents" in Russia not Ukraine.

Something has to give over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How childishly naive. Nobody is saying we are in imminent danger but Putin has started a war in Europe, the ease with which a war between Russia and NATO and/or the EU could be triggered is very high. Accidents happen and things can escalate and get out of control very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia MOD has blamed the attack on the nuclear plant on Ukrainian "saboteurs". It's so predictable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Whilst a no-fly zone seems to be impossible, I think the US/Europe need to wake up to the fact that they need to really open the tap for pouring arms and supplies into Ukraine. So much seems to hinge on Ukrainian forces and reservists being able to hit back, to make decisive moves. This "slow creep" by Russia is going to lead to a horrendous multi-year conflict.

Yes agreed, but we (as in 'the West') need to avoid going down the same route, don't we? Do we still have the appetite for liberty that we had say a month ago? Or did Covid weaken our tolerance for free expression?

This story made me uncomfortable in terms of direction:

Public statements at demonstrations and on social media that approve of the Russian Federation's ongoing attack on Ukraine or express support for the leadership of Russia can now be considered a criminal offense punishable by up to three years in prison, Czech Prosecutor-General Igor Stříž said in a press release today. "Article 17 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms enshrines freedom of speech at the constitutional level," the press release says.

Are right and wrong geographical phenomenona? Is liberty relative? I clearly need enlightenment on these points.

And all that is moot anyway, if this war spreads. There will be no 'time' for questions. Scary bleedin' times, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes but NATO wouldn't need to put a boot on the ground though would they. The air power would be enough. If the Russians fire on them then they fire back and an awful lot of planes, armour and vehicles would be rendered scrap on the roads of Ukraine.

Also, while I don't know how these things operate, doesn't letting people talk online make them easier for security services to identify? Let them talk while security services operate honeypots, track them, and pick them off? I don't get the logic of driving them underground.

I wonder though- I know Putin and the Russian govt fear the youth as they are more clued in to what’s happening but even then, middle class young Russians are mostly worried about where their next holiday will be and the next edition of the iPhone - they’re pampered and not very politically aware. I’d say the older generation know damn well what’s happening but are too afraid or tired or disinterested to do anything.

The protests to date were many but only in the 100s per protest- so yes there are brave people over there- but it’s not enough and now with marshal law in place Putin has second guessed these numbers growing so has clamped down before there’s a chance to start - and without independent media to help you, why would you risk your life and that of your family- he’s thrown water on the protest fire and he may well have snuffed it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Should I be more alarmed that a nuclear power plant was being bombed or that I agree with Lindsey Graham ? Very tough call…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Lord Haw Haw -

Surprised he doesnt begin each broadcast with :

Russia calling... Russia Calling

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Hardly childishly naive. It is hysterical to tell someone not to travel back to Ireland at the moment. - that poster is saying we are in imminent danger.

Cognitive dissonance can be unpleasant, I know. I feel it too. But it has to be confronted. What do we mean by European values?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

9 Days ago people like you were still saying Putin would never invade Ukraine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That Czech action is well out of order. And he has a neck as hard as a jockey's bollocks to say their constitution enshrines freedom of speech? Twat. He also calls the Russian invasion 'genocide', which it is not*. How easily such terms are bandied about.

Liberty shouldn't be relative. And I have an issue with banning Russian TV in Europe. Censorship is for dictators and the fearful and the former use it on the latter. Shine a light on propaganda, don't ignore it. That plays right into the hands of those who seek to twist the truth and those that already believe the bullshít. Never mind that Russian TV is so transparently propagandist it's actually scary that anyone could begin to believe it.

*do I really have to qualify this by restating that Putin is an autocratic nazi prick who kicked off a murderous invasion?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Indeed- there’s absolutely no guarantees here- I’ve watched wall to wall coverage on multiple stations- Ch4, BBC Sky etc- they all had their experts on and not ONE person is able to say what’s going through Putins mind or how this might develop- not ONE.

The playbook of how wars are fought and predictions around outcomes is usually fairly accurate but this has taken all experts by surprise - even ISIS, once people got their heads around how they were organised , became a predictable entity

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yes, apparently the Americans haven't given them drones yet which I'm surprised by if it is true. I would hope they would be setting up air defenses etc for Lviv as well. If they are only supplying lighter arms then they really must expect that Ukraine will fall and they just want to make the Russians suffer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Hostile ground for stupidity? Are you having a laugh? It’s a thread full of excited, barely-sentient children and almost every post is cringey AF.

Actual news (beyond what you’d get from watching 2 minutes of CNN) or even intelligent conjecture is as rare as hens’ teeth.

• Advertisement

The longer this goes on I'm wondering if anyone has or will admit they were wrong or have changed their minds on Putin.

He's done a full invasion, they're bombing train stations, nuclear power plants, have shut down most social media and a bunch of media in their own country. As a fun challenge (and this goes to any "**** NATO" people), is it possible to defend or even just deflect from the actions of the Russian state in the last week without mentioning America? Because I don't see it.

They've made it extremely clear that they're going to flatten the country. They won't have to pay to rebuild anything except what they can make money f.rom. Leave a rump Ukrainian state landlocked and destroyed, rebuild profitable industries in the annexed areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement