Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting function

Options
  • 04-03-2022 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

I was being personally abused and trolled over a period of months on a particular forum (I can name it if required) and eventually started using the reporting function (flag then report) explaining what my problem was. Eventually I decided to leave and announcing my reasons stating that I had never got any response 'good, bad or indifferent,' to my reports.

At this the mod informed me that it was too much trouble for him to monitor reports and any problems should be notified directly to him by PM. Evidently I had been wasting my time reporting people calling me an 'old goat' and making snide remarks about my age and any other perceived characteristics. I have no intention of going back to that particular forum but would appreciate some clarification.

What is the point of having a report function if it isn't monitored and the reports responded to? If the proper way to complain about the behaviour of other forum members is to send a PM to the mod then why isn't this made clear somewhere it can't be missed?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Much of the problem is down to how the report feature functions & how the reported posts are notified to the moderators now since Boards.ie changed over its software last year.

Apologies for the added frustration but at the moment the best way to report a problem & make sure it is seen and dealt with promptly is to PM an active Mod directly with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes all very well but I knew that already before I posted.

It still doesn't answer my question which was 'why have it if it doesn't work?'

Surely it's misleading to the general person on Boards to have a report function that doesn't work and then when they don't see any action being taken will just give up.

This was my problem but it still remains a serious problem for Boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I agree, it’s a serious problem. And it doesn’t answer your very valid question. But for the moment, it’s best to PM a suitable Mod directly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The majority of reports are looked at and dealt with by local mods. All across the Coronavirus and Current Affairs forums are and I see activity in connection with other forums in our reported posts forum

Unfortunately though it's not always easy to identify which forums reports relate to beyond the likes of those two and certain other popular forums such as Soccer and Politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thanks,

I accept that my reports may have not been responded to because they related to a usually uncontroversial forum but they were being submitted over a period that covered a number of months late last year and up to about six weeks ago.

Anyway I think it's accepted that Boards has a problem with its report function and just telling people on an ad hoc basis to PM a mod isn't good enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement