Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Panels - how does voltage control work

Options
  • 01-03-2022 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I have seen lots of material online about the benefits of solar PV, lots of it is advertising or people recommending it for being "green". But nothing technical about how it actually works.

What I cannot figure out is how is the output of the PV panel & inverter controlled to ensure that power feeds into the home from the inverter when available, not from the ESB, but power is not fed to ESB except when there is no demand in house? I presume the inverter controls voltage and phase to match ESB network, but how does this cope with voltage variation? I am in a rural area fed on a spur from a transformer c. 500m away; when my neighbour turns on their electric shower the lights dim in my house - so if I install PV, will I be powering my neighbours' shower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes you'll be powering your neighbours shower if your PV is producing more than you consume.

The inverter voltage will be a few volts higher than whats on the mains - however much is necessary to inject what the panels are generating. When your neighbours turn on the shower the voltage on the mains will drop slightly and the output voltage of your inverter will too

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

Thanks Ubb. I found good info on Solar inverter - Wikipedia. Certainly puts me off the idea of a DIY installation as clearly the inverters are complex units and the voltage must be very accurately adjusted to control power efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You don't need to adjust anything. The inverter will automatically keep adjusting it's output voltage until it's getting rid of all the power it's getting from the panels. It will have some pre-programmed max and min value so it won't try to drive the mains voltage too high (this is almost never a problem but you hear of it happening in posh Australian neighbourhoods where there's lots of houses with solar)

I have a couple of micro inverters that you just plug in like any other appliance but officially they don't want you to use those.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just in case there is any confusion only certain approved devices can be used for the grid connection and only approved persons can connect them.

Worst case a non-approved device could kill a linesman by sending power down a line while they are working on it.

Advertisement