Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

It's a solis 6kwh 5G with a puredrive 5kwh battery.

So here is the house usage before the battery is depleted:

And the battery consumption for the same period:

You can see the battery usage being higher by a little bit when it is relatively idle.

Now with the battery depleted you can still see at least a 50w difference:

Worth mentioning I have nothing connected to the AC backup at this time so it wouldn't be that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Are you pulling the data directly from the Inverter or from solis cloud?

Solis cloud, but I do have 60 second updates not 5 mins.

However I also have a shelly em reading my live grid values and they do match up

Looks like the consumption value from Solis is under-reporting. Or the inverter is using the missing power between the two values?

Post edited by SD_DRACULA on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How accurate are the various CT clamps you are using.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I don't have solar PV (I'm considering it at the moment and doing my research!). However, for years, I've had an Owl monitor with CT clamp on the incoming meter tail which measures the house consumption. I always noticed that the stats produced from the Owl were always higher than my actual meter readings, though.

More recently I bought a "Watts Clever" monitor which also monitors the house consumption but it uses an LED detector which counts the meter pulses on my digital day/night meter. With this running for days or weeks it produces readings which exactly match the meter. It's a little slower to react to instantaneous energy usage spikes as it counts the pulses and gives a reading every 30 seconds, but overall consumption figure match my bill!

The CT clamp on the Owl will consistently read over 200 watts higher than the "Watts Clever" if I have my induction hob switched into the house circuit (but in standby on its touch controls). It would appear that the reactance in the hob is causing the CT clamp to read current consumption erroneously. Even with the hob now switched out of circuit, the Owl CT is currently reading 483w and the meter is recording 350w. At low energy usage levels the discrepancy varies according to the load consuming the current (motor on the oil burner, fridge kicking in etc.). Pure resistive loads like the kettle or immersion or oven produce close readings.

I'd question the accuracy of those CT clamps generally in monitoring the house load, particularly when grid consumption is low.

Edit - I know the shelly em has a power connection so it's measuring the voltage and therefore should be more accurate at calculating the wattage than the Owl (which uses an average voltage setting), but maybe reactance is affecting the figures at low loads?

• Advertisement

Impossible to tell now that they're installed and it's not like anyone actually calibrates them with one of those energy meters like you see people do on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Hi guys maybe you can help

The solis has a ct clamp for the invertor.

The myenergi has a hub which has 1 ct clamp which monitors the zappi

And a second which monitors power from the investor ( I think)

Do I need a 3rd ct clamp to see my Pv production

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

The Zappi doesn't need a CT clamp - it monitors it own. You need one on the grid.

When it comes to Solar, you can only monitor AC. So if your inverter is a hybrid, then you can only see the AC output from it - you cannot read the PV which would be DC.

I selected gen and battery on zappi so hope this helps

It changed display 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Where is your second CT clamp connected? I initially thought that I could monitor generation and battery as well with 3 CT clamps but does not appear to be the case.

One CT clamp monitors the grid and second monitors AC input which combines generation and battery both are installed in the consumer unit.

• Advertisement

Ha long

I'll know tomorrow when the sun comes out and see if there is any change. I'd say it's the same as your setup. I'll let you know tks 👍

Do you have a harvi in your setup? Just checked my setup again as I am using a harvi CT1 is monitoring grid and CT2 is monitoring the AC output from the MCB.

@Jonathan I think will be able to explain this better. It's basically because we are using DC batteries and hybrid inverter you are limited to what you can monitor.

Yes have the harvi

I'll check what both ct 1 and 2 are doing in consumer unit tomorrow before work.

Seeing what the battery is using is not really what I want, id prefer to see what my pv is making. 👍

Whatever you configure the CT clamp points as, that is what the app will populate with.

Harvi's are only for bringing remote CT clamps to your Eddi or Zappi via radio when running a cable is not an option.

The only way to have a Solar PV and Storage icon is to have TWO SEPARATE inverters. Examples of Storage inverters are a Tesla Powerwall or a Sofar ME3000

You well get that from the Solis app not in real time though. I use the myenergi app to see what is being used from both PV and battery and monitor export to the grid as well as the eddi. Not a perfect ecosystem but still have good visibility of what's happening.

Rang solis this evening in the uk , because I cant connect my data logger to the solis cloud..so hopefully I get that sorted. I registered it to the solis app and wasnt keen on that so I then tried the cloud version which I'm use to and not a dicky..👍

And we are off...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

You will see some wasted power due to DC/AC conversion and this is expected. Also take into account that inverter itself is not running out of free air. The power usage is low the waster energy is more appearant. From my constant monitoring I can see that I lose 10-15% of charge a day. If backup port is not in use then disable it. It has separate circuit that needs to be powered on in the inverter.

Now saying all this I do know that DSP version does have impact on the amount of power being used/wasted. When I have upgraded to 25 the inverter started wasting +200-300W even when there was no load. Had to downgrade it back to 22 to get it sorted. Also bug was logged with Solis regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Something doesn’t seem right here, sun is blazing down on me, not a cloud in the sky, and I’m struggling to generate more that 300w….

by this time yesterday I was generating over 1kW…..

Yesterday;

today;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Not sure I have seen it mentioned on other threads but this is a handy tool for pricing and designing a layout and will give a list and price of all that is required.

Easy PV > home (easy-pv.ie)

Strange, but it’s suddenly just bounced into life!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can you share a graph of PV1 and PV2 voltage and current?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pretty sure someone figured it out before but what's the max capacity per string for a Solis RHI-5K-48ES and JA Solar 310w panels?

I currently have 11 on one and 9 on the other.

Considering increasing the south face to 15.

That would be 8.06kWp on a 5kW inverter but I know the max string voltage is the main question.

I'd rather not have to upgrade the inverter.

It's down to the INPUT DC Voltage. And you multiply the Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) of the panels (will be on specs sheet / label). Around 12 or 13 per string

So

600v / 40.3v = 14 ²/3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The max voltage on the inverter is the same on the 5kw and the 6kw (600v per string)

this was the calcuation i got for the longi's

Worst scenario at -20 degrees is 40.8 x 12 panel x 1.1215 temp coeff x 1.03 tolerance = 565.55V

-20 is 40 degrees below the nominal temperature 40 * 0.3% = 12% (factor is 1.12)

open circuit voltage is 40.30,

So plugging all that in would be 40.3 x 12 panels x 1.12 temp coeff x 1.03 tolerance. = 557v

13 panels 604v

14 panels 650v

going to -15 temp coeff is 1.105 13 panels is 596v < thats right on the line.

-10 (not unheard of in Ireland) 13 panels is 588, 14 is still too high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just an FYI the Q-Cells G9's that I have, have an open voltage of 45.04v, so it very much does depend a little on your panels. I think 12 is probably the way to go. 13 if you really (really) want to push it a bit, but 14 is "a bridge-to-far".

I suspect the inverter would have some tolerance too and that 600.1v wouldn't be the end of it, but no sense in pushing things. You paid enough for it, might as well treat it with some respect :-)

I have a string of 12 qcells with open v of 40.87, and they always hover around 400v, sometimes jumping to max of 445v

Don't see why you couldn't go to 14 on that and still be within the voltage limit (other than the fact that the string is 4kwp which is the max the inverter can handle per string)

Here they are for PV1 which was the problem string today.. never seen it before.

You can see the dip there from about 10am-11:30am

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Very odd. As if there was a bad optimizer or something. Does the sun start hitting a different set of panels around 11:30?

Advertisement