Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For an economy that is about a third smaller than Italy's, they have hundreds of billions of dollars of assets that have just been frozen, not a paltry amount (France estimates around 1 trillion blocked now, including half the reserve "war-chest"). Internationally Russian assets and the rouble are toxic now, it's value at a record low, their key banks share values have collapsed almost entirely, international credit is frozen to them, most major corporations have stopped doing business with them, the main container shipping groups have cut them off, main airliners have cut them off, they have been forced to keep their stock market closed for a week (it was down 40% last week, an eye-watering amount, I think it's a world record), modern manufacturing is complex requiring international supplies - suppliers are being drastically cut by the day. We'll probably see them go into default on their interest payments, which will make them toxic even to allies in Asia. Even the Kremlin, pathological liars and propagandists, have been forced to admit their economy is taking a battering from this. Keep in mind we're just 9 days in. They'll survive and get by, but yes, over the months their economy is only going to get worse.

Putin wants a Soviet empire, so he'll get a Soviet style economy. Maybe the increasingly poor Russian populace will see Putin in his glittering yacht and one billion holiday home and decide it's time for another Russian revolution..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭omega man

And while enjoying the trappings of a somewhat capitalist society albeit an authoritarian leader. Their economic obliteration may change that blind eye to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Somehow I don't think that will be your last 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

It is early days yet but I begin to think this war could have a very positive effect on Europe as a whole. We all knew we needed to be way less dependant on russian gas, we all knew Putin was not to be trusted, we know there needs to be a transition from fossil to renewable fuel. Europe was devided in many of these goals and now good oal Vlad got us all united to achieve those goals in record time.

Its a fukcing shame that these changes always seems to come with the sacrifice of human lives. (A complete waste) Which we all are somewhat accountable for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Dismantle Nato?

That's shorthand for a Russian dominated central and eastern Europe, the EU being picked apart and the end of the post WW2 order - to be replaced with a dispensation of an autocratic nuclear power running wild on the continent.

There's appeasement and then there's Europe self-immolating. Your take is the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Fox news currently reporting "Russian troops aiming to 'mine' nuclear plant to 'blackmail the whole of Europe:' Zaporizhzhia employees", and it wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

But the principles of MAD were clearly understood by all, ( and adhered to) and now we have a crazy barsteward who may just might use them. Attacking a big Nuclear Power plant is proof enough of how far he is prepared to go.

BS .... It will make life impossible on their beloved Crimea

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I dont agree, Putin knows he cant go into a NATO country, well, what I mean is, the reason the West would allow Ukraine to be overrun by Putin is the same reason Putin wont enter NATO. I think this narrative of him having lost the plot entirely is wrong. In hindsight he has been clearly planning this for a very long time.

Its the unwritten rules (or perhaps written???) of what you're allowed or not allowed do. It seems that supplying arms and providing intelligence doesnt break the rules, but direct conflict does. If the West stays out of it I dont believe it'll escalate as it would be basically suicide for Putin to invade because then all bets are off.

Anyone excited for the Russian stock exchange to reopen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Well this ruined my day. No offence to yourself posting it.

im addicted to watching this absolute clusterfuck unfold.

that cvNt needs to be stopped I hope he **** burns in hell.

This thread is depressing the life out of me need to stop reading it but can’t.

watched the power plant unfold on live stream last night. These terrorist need to die quickly.

My heart goes out to Ukraine, europe and the decent Russian people opposing this.

My partner is pregnant and all I can think of is how bad my timing was I can’t even enjoy the excitement as I fear the future too much. **** you putin. **** you very much.

It’s getting hard to know what public opinion in Russia is because there’ll be nobody with access to it in a few days by the looks of things and all we’ll be hearing is quotes from a modern version of Pravda.

Russia isn’t all that wealthy. The average income is only about €450 a month, and there’s a bubble of wealth in the cities people visit most - Moscow and St Petersburg. That’s giving a very false impression of the reality of life for most Russians, which is petty hard and basic and not about the latest Gucci handbag or iPhone.

Putin seems to have morphed into more than just a political figure. He’s been described as having become an institution in his own right. There’s a large part of the population that seems to like the strong leader / good king model. It’s not and never has been a developed democracy and doesn’t appear to have a democratic culture.

I’m not sure where this is going. Frankly I don’t think anyone is. Reading Putin isn’t easy. He appears to be a complete black box in that regard. There’s never been much evidence or emotion or attachment to anything - just this cold, strange character who never even cracks a smile. I mean look back at recent leaders like Yeltsin and Gorbachev even there really old soviets like Khrushchev and Chernenko were very, very different to this guy.

What rather than who is at the other side of the chess table. I don’t know what is is but when I see that guy I just see a void. He seems to make no eye contact. He looks at the floor a lot, he never shows any sort of emotion and now he has even gone as extreme as these huge long tables. There’s an air of mystery that I really find very concerning and it’s reminding me of Kim in some ways.

I thought there was something seriously up when Macron’s security wouldn’t allow him to be swabbed for COVID - it indicated that French intelligence must have had a credible concern for his safety. There’s been something ratcheting up for than just these last few days in Ukraine.

As for someone suggesting that they’ve a concern about nuclear war further up the thread. It’s hopefully unlikely, but I don’t really think anyone, probably even intelligence agencies, can get a good sense of how unlikely it is.

The Russians also don’t have much of a history of rebellion, at least not since the 1917-23 revolution. The Soviet Union was rebelled against mostly in Eastern Europe other than Russia. Russia itself sort of fizzled out of soviet mode and into a sort of tolerated oligarchy with many of the institutions just adapting to that and adopting capitalist approaches. They never really embraced any great swing to being a liberal democracy. That’s why I’m really not holding out much hope that some popular uprising against Putin will emerge. I think really our most likely sight of protest in Russia may come from the military deciding that enough is enough and just deposing Putin and delivering no radical change.

I’m sure the oligarchs will also play a role as they’re the ones feeling the pinch. You could also just find many of them will escape the pressure and exit, with assets - and you can see Putin moved to try to prevent that with capital controls. Assets in Roubles are probably worthless though until the currency eventually recovers, which could be a long way off, but I doubt many keep them in that.

Money will have flown out already - cryptocurrency, or in many cases the assets were already abroad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Firstly its fox news and secondly the plant is about as close to Moscow as it is to Warsaw in Poland, they would be hurting themselves just as much if not more by triggering anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the space of a few years Germany went from cruel inhumane dictatorship exterminating millions to a respected important country in western European. Is such a change possible in Russia

The major difference is Germany was a very well respected important country and culture at the forefront of technology and the arts within Europe before the shortarse Austrian corporal took over. The cruel inhumane dictatorship was a very out of character blip that lasted little more than a decade. Going back to respected important country status was far more a return to form.

Russia went from a thousand years of autocrats and enslaved peoples, replacing that with different autocrats and enslaved peoples under a different banner and then when that banner fell, there was a brief pause and then back to baseline with Putin and his minions. It was much easier for Germany to go back to 'normal', Russia's 'normal' has been very different and for a very long time. Your hope is doable, but it'll be a harder task IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

All currency reserves held for the Russian central bank outside of Russia should be used to help Ukraine.

The bombing of the nuclear plant should have brought missle drops on that group from europe. Waiting and watching happen what you fear most happening is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

i probably didn't verb it clearly (but i think i did)

Replace NATO with a purely european led coalation - without any external component.

a coalition that serves European interests -Only-

The Czech Foreign Affairs Minister, what do they consider "decisiveness and unity" I wonder, bear in mind Spain's equivalent has said earlier today that NATO is to discuss possible involvement now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As long as we continue to buy their oil and gas, I suspect the Russian economy will continue to limp along. Ordinary Russians may enjoy less of the trappings of a modern lifestyle (smart phones, fast fashion, luxury brands etc.) but they won't starve. Any country of Russia's size can sustain it's own population with the basics and Putin's government, for all their crimes and sins, have done a respectable job of ensuring Russia's food security.

I feel it's less about "turning a blind eye" to Putin's tyranny than it is about ordinary Russians being too scared to stand against him. The few anti-war protests in Russia that we've seen evidence of are waning already and the crackdown on dissent is being ramped up to the extent that there's a strong possibility of martial law being declared. If peaceful protest can get you 15 years imprisonment or conscripted into an army that views it's soldiers as entirely expendable which will use you as canon fodder in the very war you were protesting against what kind of punishment will that regime dole out to anyone involved in a serious attempt to overthrow or kill the dictator? It's unlikely the reprisal would end with the individual, their entire family and wider social circle are likely to end up disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Putin warning neighbours not to put additional restrictions on Russia, he's starting to feel the burn now. Says Russia will fulfil obligations, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

An accurate description of how I feel after catching up on the thread since 11.30 last night 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We're still left with the same conundrum: a collective security treaty for Western, Central and Eastern European democracies that Putin is openly hostile to, as well as open hostility to the EU. The only difference is that the collective security is significantly diminished without the US involved.

Putin isn't going to start suddenly playing by a rulebook just because the Americans have packed up and gone home. He will be emboldened and *will* accelerate his revanchism.

You got to the 4th line before mentioning America, that's better than most manage!

The yanks won't want this dragging on. The nonsense of "The Americans will fight til the last Ukrainian" is just what it is, sheer nonsense. The Ukrainians are the ones fighting and choosing to fight. Do you think if the Ukrainians had rolled over that big bad America would have done 10% of the sanctions that they have done?

See here's a thing that I wish we weren't in such a world that I have to admit; the Yanks were right. Europe has been fostering closer and closer economic integration with Russia, thinking it was the path to peace and prosperity. It has been shown it didn't work. Russia have felt nothing from the EU except kid gloves and look what they've gone and done.

As for peace, I'll believe it when I see it. It's hard to negotiate with someone who has demands and the upper hand. Why would Russia except anything less than all the territory they gain before fighting ends? And even accepting that, are we to suddenly accept Russia's word on anything? They're going to level the country, chase out masses of the population, kill a smaller mass of the population, take the heavy industries and (best case) strangle what's left of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Strange though it may seem, but not all regret the fall of communism,,,I know several Russian's who pray for its return. 2nd biggest political part in Russia after Putins United Russia party is the Communist Party of the Russian Federation. One colleague was telling me that under the Communists, she was able to take her Family to Sochi twice a year for holidays. Did not cost them a penny, transport, accomodation, food, health care etc. Now she says, under the Capitalist system, she cannot even afford one holiday a year in Sochi. So you can say that there is some mixture in Russian Society, and some are still more equal than others!!!

Ukrainian Nazi's look awfully Jewish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Just can't see NATO intervening. They'll weigh up the total destruction of Ukraine versus destruction of all of Europe and decide Ukraine isn't worth it.

Unless things like this mining of atomic power stations proves true (if it's on Fox it probably isn't) as that would suggest Europe is f*cked either way and the only option is to take Russia down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I dont really know if they have more or less power than 25 years ago. For the first time since the USSR they have a potential challenger and I say potential, like maybe in 50 years? Most of the us focus is now in the far east, even this current Russia thing is not their main focus. But even look at it, the us controls the Pacific all the way to Taiwan. I mean the Chinese may embark on a battle to claim an offshore island, it would be like the us fighting to control Puerto Rico. America projects power globally, reaches everywhere. Can seemingly do things like convince Australia to build nuclear subs or telegraph the entire Russian invasion of Ukraine and convince half the world to ostricize Russia during an energy crisis. Economically China has become powerful but again how stable or robust is their system to economic shock, do you trust the quarterly reports from Chinese listed companies? Do we trust a capitalist system that is so supported by government funding.? Do we trust Chinese rule of law? I feel like they are not as far along as some people think. I mean their property bubble puts 2007 to shame. What they have got is a huge population who are willing to be obedient and not challenge leadership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement