Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting a sudden death!

Options
  • 04-03-2022 11:25am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've got a self-built machine that's just over 2 years old (with the exception of the graphics card which is definitely showing its age, but I can't afford to replace it atm). I was getting some BSODs over the last 6 weeks or so, the error logs suggested it might be RAM related, so I replaced that and now I'm getting a different intermittent error where the machine simply shuts down with no warning. I thought it might be overheating, so I started monitoring and there's nothing too unusual - CPU has hit 70, but generally is hovering around 35-40 when the machine isn't doing too much.

Specs: Ryzen 5 2600X (no overclocking), stock AMD Wraith Spire cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200 (replaced), MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC, Corsair 650W PSU, AData XPG SX8200 OS Hard Disk and 2 Crucial 2.5" SSDs all running Win 10 64 bit. It's all in a reasonably big and well ventilated Thermaltake Core V1 case which has a 200mm "in" and 2 X 80mm "out" fans. The graphics card is a Zotac GTX 970 which is, I know, in need of updating. Running the GeForce monitoring tool says it's rarely getting about

I'd love to hear any suggestions for where I might start looking to track this down? I had a nightmare this morning when the machine wouldn't even post after I tried taking out the 970 to see if I could get some stability without it. A lucky read of a Reddit thread about the motherboard not posting lead me to a suggestion to remove all the RAM and restart, then after powering down, put the RAM back in and see if it'll post (it did thank the gods!). It'd been going strong all day and I was even able to run a game and a YouTube video at the same time which had previously killed everything (which again suggests heat or video card), but then around 7 pm, it died three times on the trot with no warning or Blue Screen. It also restarts itself after about a minute which again, made me think of heat.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them, I'm scratching my head and short of replacing lots of parts which I can't really afford, I'm not sure where to go.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Heat would tend to produce lockups, not power offs. RAM would usually produce bluescreens, and only restarts if the machine is set to not display them.

It sounds more like the PSU. In the past some Corsair PSUs had issues with their temp sensors, and would be fine for a period of use, until the heat crept up only slightly, and triggered the thermal protection.

Try a different PSU first and see if the symptoms persist.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That makes sense. Are Seasonic and Corsair still considered the preferred options in the PSU world?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Both are still well regarded brands, yes. Corsair has been my default choice for many years. When my AX860i developed the thermal sensor issue after several years, they replaced it immediately with an AX1200i instead (i.e. instead of an 860W unit, they provided a 1200W unit instead).

Excellent, thank you for all the help. I'll grab a new PSU and plug it in and see how we get on.

Best to borrow one for now, just in case I'm wrong and you go spending needless money.

• Advertisement

D'you know, it's one of those components that's handy to have a spare, so I'll pick one up anyway. I don't think I have too many people close by to borrow from.

Well the PSU is in and the machine's been under a similar load to before when it would just die and the good news is that it's all behaving. I also took the opportunity to replace a noisy case fan, so the room is a lot quieter :D Thanks again for the help and suggestion @Spear

Advertisement