Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Some of the best virologists in the world are on this thread now. What a service!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Russia will not use nuclear warheads in the event of a counter-offensive in Ukraine. Think about it. As far as the Russians are concerned, dropping nukes on the US, UK or Germany would have exactly the same result as if they fired their own nukes directly at themselves. If they do anything at all, it will be a token show of strength, for example a small tactical warhead on some unknown, uninhabited atoll in the Pacific. The game is over once all the cards are thrown down. The benefit of having nuclear weapons is in not having to use them. Only a siege of Moscow would trigger an all-out strike, if it were ever to happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Welcome back ...

And yes I think posters here hate the layout more than even Putin.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

NATO can't go in because they're a defensive pact only for the nations in NATO.

So, unfortunately, NATO are in a lose lose situation. NATO have to stay out of it, which means Ukraine gets destroyed. Or, they step in and then everything NATO has said about being a defensive pact for NATO countries is a lie, which proves all the NATO naysayers were right.

Anyone calling for NATO to go in, is inadvertently saying Putin and co. were right all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I'd imagine the second scenario is the more likely. When intelligence people have a source that's feeding them good information they're unlikely to draw attention to it. Look how carefully the allies protected "Ultra" Enigma decrypts during the war, sometimes even to the point of not acting on information for fear of the Germans sussing out that there was only one way the allies could have come by it. Occasionally, as was the case with a German task force approaching Crete, they had time to send a reconnaissance flight to "find" the target begore hitting it.

My guess is they can't resist the temptation to mind-fcuk an already paranoid Putin. And if that results in a damaging purge against his own guys, so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Why, because the Irish budget would increase from the current 101.5bn Euro (As per Budget 2022) to 102.7bn Euro? I don't think that's going to bring the Irish economy crashing. [Edit. These figures are wrong. It would go from 101.5bn to 109bn]

I'm not sure the benefits of a no-fly-zone are worth the consequences. If the Russian air force were dominating the battlefield, it's one thing, but they are curiously lacking in effect right now. I don't think it would make a lot of practical difference, whilst increasing the political concerns immeasurably. It's also not as if the Ukrainian air force has been completely removed from the fight, either manned or unmanned aircraft.

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

What time is tomorrow's protest and where does it start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,185 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah they can repackage it and sell it to his own people any way they like. Its what "our side" would do if they hit civilians.

It's incredible how positively the Ukranians are viewed when they take up arms against the attacking force and how it contrasts with how we view those who opposed the nvasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't think I ever heard them referred to as brave for standing up to fight even when their equipmen was so technologically inferior.

Propaganda is so important in these issues. I can't blame the Russians for control the narrative and painting themselves as liberators, any more than I blame our side for portraying the Ukranians as brave and virtuous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You do realise you're rambling away to yourself at this stage, don't you. Your mask slipped on this way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The poster I was responding to was calling on 'The destruction of Russia' - which is impossible as you'd have a nuclear conflict before that ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

I assume this new Russian legislation "that introduces felony liability for disseminating fake information about Russia’s armed forces" doesn't actually include any of the fake information their state media or Putin spreads on a 24/7 basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

If we set up a team of volunteers from Boards to go and fight in Ukraine, how long would we last before arguing among ourselves and shooting each other with javlins?

Double post

Unsurprising to see the usual heads on here from the trump, conspiracy and similar threads defending Putin.

What are you waffling on about ?

NATO interventions ....

Operation Joint Guard, Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992

Operation Allied Force, Kosovo-Montenegro-Serbia in 1999

These involved no fly zones and bopmbing of belligerents.

Afghanistan War, Afghanistan in 2004

Operation Ocean Shield, Somalia in 2009

Military Intervention in Libya in 2011

None of the countries involved were NATO members.

Ireland spends 3.6% of GDP on education.

If Ireland has to spend roughly the same amount on defence, then there's going to be big cuts elsewhere...if this chart is correct, education spend is 9bn a year.

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I, for one, have never protested against Ireland threatening the world with nuclear weapons. The best we could do on that front would be using the microwave with its little door open, anyway.

• Advertisement

So NATO are not a defensive pact for it's members?

Not sure, but we will probably get a glimpse of "Puss in Puts" inside the embassy. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,185 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, in that clip we saw a civilians apartment being hit. If the Russians say they were firing at ukranian military targets innthat building, then what? Do we say they were using the civillians as human shields or do we say, 'well, they have to sleep somewhere and the Russians bombed the civilians buildings".

This scenario is not the same as your scenario in the post above, but they're pretty similar.

Do we assume that Ukranian forces make sure there they never use civilians buildings to sleep or hide or eat or snipe or do reconnaissance, and therefore any civilians building shelled is a deliberate attack on civilians and not on the Ukranian forces?

I doubt they have that luxury ton pick and choose their buildings. so I'd say there's no way for us to know if a civilian building was shelled out of malice or because there were legitimate targets inside. We tend to assume it was done out of malice and our news reports that the civillian building was shelled, but Russian news will probably report thst they were firing at Ukranian forces using civilians as a human shield. How do we tell the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Mother Russia spends 3.9% of GDP on the military. It could spend more on education and healthcare if it wasn't a warmonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The general public across Europe have given the nicely nicely softly softly approach to Russia long enough. I feel we are going to see a lot of Russian embassies and buildings up in flames this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I was thinking to myself there should be a "B" division of wannabe member states who maybe get 20% level of investment with clear conditions on what needs to be fixed before becoming full members and all the good stuff that brings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Judging from what people on ground are saying in Eastern Ukraine, they're fighting like the blazes and screaming for air support

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How much of that money actually makes it to purchasing equipment or how many of the supplies purchased stay in the quartermasters buildings. Not a lot judging by the state of the frontline troops in the Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Every post you drop that has a weasel criticism of Putin is only a prelude to BUT AMERICA, which is what you really want to drone on about. Your agenda isn't even artfully disguised.

I have a few thousand posts on this forum, but I've always been consistent, the Iraq war was wrong, and the Afghanistan intervention was 100 percent the correct call for America to make and they should have stayed the course with air cover and limited boots on the ground. So you can stick that one where the sun doesn't shine.

I've had interactions with US troops before, I'm not high fiving them, but Iisten to their stories, and I don't apologize to some internet goon whose real agenda is to prattle 'yeah but' when a crystal clear destructive war is underway - and you can't bring yourself to concentrate on what the real problem is in this war.

I don't equivocate. And in case you're lost and not clear as to what I posted earlier, people advocating for the US to withdraw from Europe are asking for the EU and the continent generally to chop off its own b*llocks and hand it to Putin for him to put in a jar.

Hand wringers and snaking regarders like you don't want to admit it, but you live in a Europe that has had a security umbrella provided by the US since the end of WW2, allowing people to thrive, or in your case, sit in your jocks posting utter sh*te.

• Advertisement

вы говорите нам, что вы думаете

😉

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement