Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

A good game that has already been out on other hardware coming to switch.

Not until after the middle of 2022 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Kirby and the Forgotten Land launches March 25th! (Nintendo Switch)

Fight back against the Beast Pack and explore a mysterious world to save the Waddle Dees in Kirby and the Forgotten Land, coming to Nintendo Switch on March 25th!

Nintendo of Europe's Twitter page has a number of posts about the game including info, screenshots and a 30th anniversary wallpaper.

Given the date of 25th March was announced as the release date for Kirby and the Forgotten Land, I thought I'd drop this here.

The other information might be right as well.

Pokémon Legends: Arceus – Extended gameplay video (Nintendo Switch)

It’s time to take a closer look at gameplay for LEGO® Star Wars™: The Skywalker Saga!

Journey to a galaxy far, far away on April 5, 2022!

The galaxy is yours with LEGO Star Wars™: The Skywalker Saga! Play through all nine saga films in a brand-new video game unlike any other. With over 300 playable characters, over 100 vehicles, and 23 planets to explore, the galaxy has never been more fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Looks like a lot of content and better than a lot of the movies ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It looks like a lot of fun, one that I can see myself double dipping for - Switch for portability, and PS4 for graphics. I hope the Switch performance is decent, and we don't see Lego City like load times.

Post edited by chrislad on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This looks very Symphony of the Night, coming out the 28th and has a fabulously nonsense name as only Japanese games can manage ... *breathes* ... Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth.

Mina the Hollower Announcement Trailer

NOW on Kickstarter visit MinaTheHollower.com

Mina the Hollower is a bone-chilling action-adventure game featuring classic gameplay and an 8-bit aesthetic in the style of Game Boy Color, refined for the modern era.

Quick and deliberate 60fps action combat, captivating world design, and top-down adventuring combine in a nostalgic blend. Whip foes, burrow through the ground, and explore a pixel-perfect world in Mina the Hollower, a brand new game from the developers who brought you Shovel Knight!

From Yacht Club Games, the makers of the excellent Shovel Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Explore a universe of gorgeous paint strokes: Immerse yourself in a rich, dark, painterly 2.5D world as the epic and twisted music composted by Christos Antoniou brings this atmosphere world to life.

Delve into a story-driven dark fantasy adventure: Leave the sanctuary of the Crimson City and travel through a vast, interconnected world that will take you from dark forests to deadly swamps, burning deserts, and more.

Enter the dark realm of entropy: Acquire the legendary Witch Lantern and enter the dark realm of entropy through tears in the fabric of reality.

Encounter horrific monsters and terrifying creatures: Add fallen foes to your bestiary as you battle distinctive enemies and unique, deadly bosses to discover what really lurks in the shadows.

Upgrade your toolset: Find artisans to join your growing caravan to unlock new upgrades. Grow herbs to brew beneficial potions and craft powerful weapons, armour, and trinkets to help you along the way.

Play your way: Master the punishing side-scrolling action as one of multiple unique classes and customize your character’s active skills through a deep and rewarding character development system. Complete the game and start anew on countless NG+ difficulty levels.

Looks like another interesting Metroidvania incoming.

No release date as yet.

The Nvidia-powered Nintendo Switch might be getting an unlikely performance boost from AMD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just got the mail saying Kingdom Hearts Cloud version is now available, for anyone who really wants it. Demo available.

So 5 45 minute slots. At least 2 of those I assume are outside most of our availablity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

From that link, the slots are:

Saturday, February 19th

03:00 - 03:45 (UK time)

11:00 - 11:45 (UK time)

19:00 - 19:45 (UK time)

Sunday, February 20th

03:00 - 03:45 (UK time)

11:00 - 11:45 (UK time)

You need to have a non-Lite switch and an active NSO subscription to take part, and you will be matched with random players for Bowling, Tennis and Chanbara. You won't be able to start matches against friends who are also taking part in the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hmm @CiDeRmAn said the Switch wasn't a multimedia hub?

still think they need a browser on it... surely they can secure it to make it non-hackable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

One'd hope it's more fit for purpose than the diabolical Crunchyroll app they left untouched on the Wii U — you'd get to watch the first 10 minutes of a show, it'd reset, you'd try to fast-forward, it would reset again and then just die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't know that my opinion was forming Nintendo's intent for the system.

It isn't a multimedia hub, and never has been, and will always play second fiddle in that regard to all the other connected devices we own, from home consoles, smart tvs and the phone in our pocket, same goes for a browser.

If it gets Netflix/Disney+/Chrome that's great, but I don't see myself using them over my Chromebook/PS5/TV Hub

• Advertisement

I was taking your quote as sample of the response on the other thread when I enquired about the lack of a browser. I don't buy the "not being a multimedia hub" argument as there are countless media apps on there (YouTube etc).

Have browsers been locked down on other platforms or are they just an unavoidable hacking risk?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I reckon there was an idea around the PS3 era that by having streaming apps etc, a console might become the One Box That Does Everything, but the chance of that happening has vanished these days IMO.

Given how cack-handed Nintendo's efforts at online stuff can be, I would prefer they didn't start messing around with a browser on the Switch. If 3rd parties want to make apps that's one thing, but personally I see it as a fair bit of effort for their devs that would deliver limited practical value for a lot of the userbase. Mrcheez's post upthread is the first time I've seen someone complain about not having a browser on the Switch, for example.

there are a fair few posts about it on reddit alright... consensus seems to be it's a security thing, but then again, given that there is a hidden browser which we can access via DNS I wonder has the Switch been hacked via that browser yet?

Come to think of it, they should really add an Adobe reader so we can read our PDF comics too :D (given the recent Manga app)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I've done zero research on this but I'd guess that the hidden browser is pretty barebones. It's the "fancy" stuff that are the usual attack vectors. They'd also have to dedicate resources to continuously update the browser.

Have you tried the hidden one? Does it do what you want/need?

With a €300 euro Xbox Series S, along with full mouse and keyboard support you have a full chromium browser in Edge so as well and can run google docs, microsoft office etc through web so could easily be used for most people's browsing and productivity uses if using a monitor

You can also run emulators on it using local storage now on dev mode, easily emulating up to wii. Could easily run wii u and switch emulators if there were ports available (will be sometime probably). Also can be use for game development and app sideloading.

It can also act as a 4K streamer for Netflix etc which is a nice bonus if you leave the console connected to the media screen.

The switch is much much less capable and Nintendo would never give this sort of access EVER.

For the handheld aspect of browsing, everybody has a phone really and that is a far superior device than a switch in that regard.

In other Nintendo-related news... the Russian rouble is finally falling... hopefully Russia do something very stupid and the Rouble reacts before the sales end on 20th 🤣

https://www.google.com/search?q=euro+to+rouble

Post edited by mrcheez on

Nintendo are likely going to be using AMD's FSR upscaling for some games, starting with Nintendo Switch Sports

Could drag a bit more life and frames out of the at-this-stage haggard Tegra X1

FidelityFX will work best to double a resolution. So if this ends up being used, it'll likely take a 540p native resolution and bring it up to 1080p. Remains to be seen if that would result in a better looking image than, let's say, natively running at 720p. It'll also work better with simpler cartoony graphics like Switch Sports.

We will absolutely not see this taking Switch games to 4K, or anything beyond 1080p - the hardware just isn't powerful enough.

I never said it would get to 4k.

There is no chance of that

The Tegra x1 is an ancient 2014 tablet cpu

There is also a computational overhead in doing the upscaling.

The improvement will be modest enough I would say.

It could mean more cases of options for more FPS "performance" vs "quality" in games

Remains to be seen how widespread it will be used in games

• Advertisement

I never said you said anything....

I was just replying to the subject of FSR....

Well even mentioning 4K into the conversation was ill-judged imo lol!

It's not going to be some miracle on Switch but will be interesting to see what can be done all the same.

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet | Announcement Trailer

Free content update! | Pokémon Legends: Arceus

DLSS-enabled Nintendo Switch Pro reportedly found in NVIDIA leak

Sounds to me like the Switch Pro rumours last year from the likes of Bloomberg. But given the chip shortage, Nintendo released the OLED model instead I believe. I don't know if they'll release a Switch Pro this year, some think the issue will ease in the second half of this year, others think it could be 2 years. Nintendo might just wait for the Switch 2 and carry on with the available models and maybe an OLED Lite for the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

Today, 3rd March, marks the 5th anniversary of the Switch. But more importantly, to me at least, it also marks the 5th anniversary of one of the greatest games ever made, if not THE greatest of all time, Breath of the Wild.

Happy 5th B-Day Nintendo Switch! How the Next 5 Could Be Its Best Yet! | An Analysis

The Switch is Still Missing 15 Major Nintendo Series After Half a Decade! (5th Anniversary)

Of the missing franchises, F-Zero is top of my list.

Demo out now for Kirby and the Forgotten Land too.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: Remake || Nintendo Switch Trailer 2022

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: Remake is coming to Nintendo Switch on April 7th! Pre-order starts on March 31st - don't miss it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, that looks nice, I wonder if the other HotD games will be coming as well?

I must pick it up, regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Holy ****, was convinced it was a vaporware given how long it's been since its original announcement.

I still have a copy of House of the Dead Overkill on Wii, which is great fun and part of the reason I bothered to get Dolphin working.

What are the controls going to be like for these games on Switch? I hope it's not just "move cursor around the screen with a thumbstick", I can't see that being twitchy enough and for me gun-like controls (like the ridiculous handcannon for the Wiimote from Overkill) are a big part of enjoying the game.

I imagine this is going to be the sort of game made for the standard Switch, given that the motion sensors on the Switch controllers work a treat.

Switch Lite owners, well they are going to be poking the screen with a finger, which will not be cool!

would have thought it would be motion-controlled? Or at least they might give that option in the Settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

In case anyone was impatiently waiting for an update on the release of Pillars of eternity 2:Deadfire since its initial 'coming soon for switch' tease in 2019... Its officially been axed.

Of course, I forgot about those, probably because I am not a fan!

But, yes, of course that would work.

But not as much fun as a Switch controller in a plastic replica firearm!

Edit: relaunch is LIVE

Dunno if many people here are familiar with GoNintendo.com but it relaunches tomorrow after around a year long hiatus. Definitely one of the most comprehensive Nintendo news and news aggregator sites.

Very in-depth discussion about the site, past, present and future, from the owner Kevin Cassidy was posted by GameXplain that is worth a watch / listen.

(Though I don’t like supporting GameXplain after the whole work crunch and screwing former employees drama)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

^ I do not know it, but I am a fan of Nintendo Life mainly because when I was looking to spend my DSi Ware balance, they were one of the only places that actually had reviews of the games, and generally felt I agreed with the scores.

Would someone need both a GoNintendo and Nintendo Life in their ..er.... life?

Gonintendo is probably more verbose in what it will cover. I like using both for a mix of new and features.

Nintendo Switch Online members can avail of the full version of Monster Hunter Rise for free with Game Trials. It will be available from 11th - 17th March.

Also: There will be a Monster Hunter digital event on the 15th March at 2pm Irish time. It will feature 20 minutes of information on the upcoming Monster Hunter Rise Sunrise DLC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement