Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Less traffic noise. Watch Cities aren't loud: Cars are loud for info of health impacts of traffic noise.

Less pollution. Consider the energy expended when walking compared to running same distance.

Safer for pedestrians trying to cross the road. And the deer. More reaction time available for drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Pedestrian crossings are the answer here Certainly can be done without affecting the character significantly. Some Raised crossings with paving would be effective as they would double as speed bumps, slowing cars down at crossing points.

First I've heard about noise being an issue which would suggest it didn't form part of the reason this was implemented.

Cars are more efficient at higher speeds and people are not going to abandon their vehicles altogether for walking just because of a speed limit change.

Like I mention above, pedestrian crossings are the answer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Do cars regularly get to these higher speeds in commuting traffic to allow then to operate more efficiently though? Commuting by car is in itself intrinsicly inefficient. I appreciate some have no choice, but a lot of people live within a train or bus ride, or even where cycling becomes viable. And at these higher speeds, cars pose more of a risk to more vulnerable road users. The outcome from hitting someone while travelling at 30kph, 50 kph or 80 kph vary greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It cannot be justified.

The straight profile of the road and the sightlines of several hundred metres make it perfectly suitable for a 50 km/h limit.

Those mentioning average speed cameras, OPW simply will not entertain erecting such visually polluting things on the Avenue.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The sheer number of pedestrians trying to cross and lack of crossing make an absolute shite of this argument.

Those great sightlines, and still a load of cones got smashed by drivers the last year.

Anyway, I was in the park today. Tootling along at 30 kmph and one car in their lane was obviously doing much more than that. No other car behind me at that stage passed me for the 4 km stretch. They've added parking for at least 250 cars it looks on the North road too and it's only 1 way for half it, so it's non issue. They havn't closed off access to any of the other car parks either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Seems like the best way to enforce the 30km speed limit would be for cyclists to ignore the designated cycle lane. That would be an awful shame.

On Chesterfield Avenue? Yes. Long straight road with very few junctions.

I'm not sure what your point is though. Are you saying that because commuting by car is more inefficient than cycling speed limits should be reduced?

Someone hitting into a cone has nothing to do with the speed limit. That's inattentive driving.

I know, but an inattentive driver at 30kmph is doing significantly less damage to one at 50kmph.

Why should the Park be any different in that regard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭ARX

"The people in cities accept the logic of 30 km/h in side roads and estates" - not in the estate I live in, they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yes, in a way. Cars travelling at excess speed put vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians in more danger - this has been pointed out up thread. Hitting someone at 30 kph versus 50 or higher has generally a better outcome for the vulnerable road user. It's about making cities safer, more pedestrian and cycling friendly. Cars take negatively from this experience, hence the effort to slow them down.

I see long lines of cars shuffling along at walking pace on my commute - pretty much from were I start in Carpenterstown, through Laurel Lodge and Castleknock - all grid locked every morning and back to the way it was pre-pandemic. Granted, you get a bit of respite in the park, but then it's back to grid lock again when you hit the quays. Horses for courses I guess.

Of course 30 is safer than 50, but the actual benefit on Chesterfield Avenue would be negligible. Pedestrian's are at such low risk as the footpath is literally 20 metres from the road! The only time they come close to traffic is at the roundabouts where I agree that safe crossing points should be provided.

I feel it's just people proposing to reduce the speed limit for the sake of it.

I actually think if the courts start getting clogged up with congested charges we might in fact see judges slapping down heftier fines. They don't want their time wasted, and people being arseholes about bye laws that are very easy to follow is the sort of thing they'll have no issue with doubling fines for.

Drive through the park few times today, the lower speed limit has resulted in most traffic going a steady 45/50 kph. Which is grand.

lots of parking around all day too 😁

They certainly don't. Which is why the Guards don't bring them nonsense such as 40 in a 30 zone, by not issuing such FPNs in the first place.

You know as well as I do, that if Irish judges started complaining in the manner you suggest, the outcome would be the removal of 30 km/h limits, not an increase in enforcement, for which there are no resources.

• Advertisement

Gardai don't do it, because it's a pain in the arse for themselves. It can and should be made much easier and it should be much harder to contest. There's no way doing 40 where 30 is the limit is justifiable unless someone is bleeding to death maybe

There are civil appointments being made to the gardai that are ongoing. These staff can easily look after the paperwork going forward.

Enforcement isn't that difficult. It's right on their doorstep, there are literally hundreds of gardai in there everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So in summary all these changes are to fix problems that never existed. But where they are ignored, it's ok because it wasn't a problem anyway.

We can't prove any of it because there's no recent statistics on any of it in the park anyway.

Even if wanted to collect stats, or enforce the rules, or change a gate, or add a pedestrian crossing our improve safely, you can't because you can't change anything historical, or add anything modern. But you can move one of the oldest zoos in the world. No issue with that.

If you want to get to somewhere in the park and were unfamiliar with area someone has coincidentally now removed it from Google Maps.

It will be interesting how it all works out.

Let's hope no one's bleeding to death in the park so.

Gardai working in the depot do not do traffic duty.

Regarding the 30k limit that has come up for discussion on this thread recently, moves continue to roll this out as a default for all urban areas

There is a strong case for having a default 30km/h speed limit in urban areas — it would mean that councils would have to justify having higher limits on some roads rather than justifying low limits as in the current case — the Oireachtas Committee on Transport was told last week.

• Advertisement

No, what you mean is, someone made a presentation and Irish Cycle wrote an article about it.

'Moves continue to roll this out as a default', is an entirely false and exaggerated description.

Thanks to their own public consultation, Dublin City Council members were left in no doubt as to the massive unpopularity of such a suggestion among Dubliners and so they dropped it like a hot snot.

There is no reason to imagine that the Oireachtas would respond any differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Has anyone seen deer near the road at night since the wands have been installed? They are very bright in headlights, my fear is that it's hard to see beyond them towards the wood if deer were likely to be heading towards the road.

From experience those deer are like lightning you generally have almost zero warning if they decide to dash.

If you see one, very likely others are following closely behind. They are like lemons. Or chasing each other.

The law of unintended consequences. They cost a load, look shyte and are more dangerous for all road users and wildlife alike.

No doubt they'll be in a skip within weeks. Just in time for OPW to have their next brainwave.

Never say never 😉

The momentum on this is only increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭carfinder

Irish Cycle is a rag - totally biased and fails to meet the standards of trusted journalism. The "editor" embarrasses himself with almost every article, especially ones to do with 'motor vehicle v cyclist' collisions. Id say the only thing stopping him being sued is that hardly anyone reads his stuff and he probably has no money given the recent begging campaign on the site.

I find it quite good generally tbh.

Obviously biased for cyclists and enthusiastic about that.

You've had some wild takes, but this is a remarkable silly one.

And they don't look any more shite than 100s of cars parked there or in the various other parts of the park

Post edited by Weepsie on

Kinda makes a mockery of not wanting to make any change due to the historic nature of every brick and leaf though. But I guess they are a necessary evil to start with. I've heard nothing about the recent changes. No idea if people are happy with them, or just ignoring them.

• Advertisement

I drove through the Phoenix Park during the week. I have to say that the 30km/h speed limit on Chesterfield Avenue was frustratingly slow. I also think this has resulted in unintended consequences whereby I was overtaken by a car who thought I wasn't going fast enough. Never saw a car being overtaken in the park before and doesn't exactly help with road safety.

That's not the limit's fault. That's a bad driver.

That's same arsehole who thinks it's too slow, will think somewhere else at 50kmph is too slow and 80kmph too slow.

Maybe we should try 20 kmph

I didn't say it wasn't the driver's fault, but it's not a wise decision to have a poor road design that encourages that behaviour. If all roads were designed assuming that drivers will obey the rules then you'd have a lot more accidents!

This is exactly the driver (excuse the pun) behind the push to modify street/road design to induce a desire to drive slower. This has been done across the country at the entry/exit point to loads of towns and villages where you'll see road narrowing, extensive hatching, rumble strips etc etc

In an urban context, the same is achieved by chicanes, speed bumps, narrowing, closing in the vertical view (trees) etc.

It could also be done on Chesterfield but to be honest, if they removed through access it would likely no longer be an issue as those driving to or from the park would not be inclined to speed, only those looking to go through it would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭jlang

I've been in the park a few times this week, running, cycling and once in the car and I've observed that most drivers are indeed going slower than before. Those that aren't clearly deliberately making an effort to go at 30 seem to settle in behind those who are when they catch up. This is much as before when enough did 50-ish that most ended up having to. I didn't see any car-on-car or frustrated overtaking yet, but I imagine there'll be as much taking place as before. (caveat to observations is that I haven't been in the park near rush hour).

As a cyclist I can feel how the differential between my speed and any cars coming up behind is clearly now much less. The actual overtake maneuver takes significantly longer if they stick to the max 30kph, such that I think I'd rather they injected a burst of speed when passing so they clear the overlap sooner. (Referring to the off-avenue roads where traffic was usually slower anyway. Obviously I would be in the bike lane on the main drag.)

And most times I go past there's a car doing a U-turn at the new dead end by St Mary's having taken the left into the cul-de-sac after entering at Chapelizod Gate. Old habits die hard, like rat-running through parks and not reading road markings!

Road design doesn't encourage bthat behavior. That's a poor excuse for poor behaviour.

There's a solid white line the whole length too is there not? So overtaking has always been a nono.

Again not poor design, just poor behaviour imo.

Never been my experience that people don't speed in the area's they live on or in.

Hence the drive in urban planning to make it physically more difficult to speed

• Advertisement

I would consider that good design.

I would say that a lot of the problems in the park are not solely due to people passing through, that's a false narrative.

But sure make it no through traffic as a trial see how that goes....

What nonsense. If that was the case then why should we bother with speed cameras? There should be measures in place to protect people from those who break the rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

How do you prevent through access?

I can't figure out how you do this without cutting off visitor access to huge swathes of the park

The particular rule of the road has to have validity, or in this case the bye-law setting the limit.

If the 30 limit is proving inappropriate, which it clearly is, it won't remain.

With the good road surface, long sightlines and clear separation between modes, 30 is a wholly inappropriate speed limit for Chesterfield Avenue. The ridiculousness of it can be seen by anyone who travelled that route in recent days, on foot, on a bike or in a motor vehicle.

Time for a chat with my FF and FG friends again....

How is it nonsense? Road design being a reason for bad behavior by drivers?

How about a bit of personal responsibility. People are responsible for poor behavior, not the road, its design or laws

Long sightlines when it suits you. Earlier you and another basically disregarded them.

There's nothing I appropriate about this. On a busy day, traffic crawls through the park anyway, so all the hand wringing is pointless

It's either a low speed limit or a lot of pedestrian crosses which give priority over to them.

• Advertisement

It will be the same as all speed limits, most will observe it for the beginning, then less and less as time goes on. But it should still result in lower speeds, which is no harm.

As for the new barrier on the avenue, it's not bad at all, they are white, along the white road markings so they don't stand out so much, visually. And are definitely an improvement on the cones that have been there.

Not really, you can leave all access points would remain open without allowing through access.

If this was about safety they'd have pedestrian crossings.

I wonder how many would still need to drive through the park if a toll was charged. My guess is it suddenly won't be that big of a deal to find an alternate route

• Advertisement
Advertisement