Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colombia legalises abortion up to 24 weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

"Christ, no one carries a child for 6 months then suddenly decides they don't want it."

I'd certainly hope that's true, but we live in a world where people rape and murder each other. But even if you're right and it never has and never will happen, the discussion more recently has been about whether it would be right or wrong in theory to abort a baby at 24 weeks for no particular reason.

If you've through the last few pages you'll see that there have been some posters hold the opinion that unborn at any point aren't even human, therefore in theory having no moral hang-ups, not even a tinge of sadness, about a medically unnecessary late term abortion because to them the unborn is effectively worthless.

It's not even the idea that people might support medically unnecessary late-term abortions that surprises me now, but more the lack of any kind of regard they have for the unborn that I find shocking. A lack of empathy as the dunne put earlier pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

Just because something is legal, doesn’t make it right. Remember the people hiding Jews were breaking the law, the people who sent them to their deaths were following the law.

And what’s your point about the vote? Just because something was voted in, doesn’t mean it’s a good thing. Hitler was voted in too.

"Danos un aborto allí amor, ¿quieres? He tenido este pequeño b * llix durante 23 semanas y estoy harto en esta etapa. Mis malditos tobillos son como troncos de árboles."

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

See here's where you lose credibility, you're ignoring the fact that late stage abortion is invariably due to medical necessity because other generally horrific things like rape and murder also happen. Women who have a proven, real medical reason to end their pregnancy, you want to force them to carry it to term because you assume some people would have a late stage abortion on a whim.

Your reasoning seems to be that because there are always a proportion of people who are terrible, there will be a proportion of late stage abortions for terrible reasons. Forgetting the fact that rape and murder are both illegal yet still happen, so making abortion illegal won't stop the terrible people doing terrible things, it will just stop the medically necessary abortions.

And your other main argument seems to be that because one person made silly comments about foetus not being human you suddenly feel that that is representative of the pro-choice view. Ignoring the fact that he doesn't have kids, never plans to have kids, physically can't get pregnant so never has to actually face this dilemma. And of course the fact that he is clearly just being edgy for the internet. Very convenient that you target him as your opposition but ignore all the clear, balanced and reasonable pro-choice responses.

You're being very disingenuous here, despite you outwardly reasonable tone. How about you give your opinion on the post I was actually replying to, where the poster says all women still pregnant at 12 weeks want the child but are scared because they're alone and the are all cnuts? Not touching that one are you?

How about you comment on all the other examples I gave of women who have valid reasons to be still pregnant after 12 weeks but need an abortion? Rather than focusing on the presumably imaginary "lifestyle aborters".

Of course you could also do what the OP is doing and ignoring every valid point made here and so showing that they are not pro-life, rather they are just pro-control.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I take it you rejoiced when we legalised abortion in ireland?

Why are posters getting worked up about Columbia doing this?

A.Country thousands of miles away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

God botherers will stick thier noses in anywhere even when it's nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t expect you to understand my viewpoint, just as I am unable to understand yours.

“Empathy” is a funny concept though, because you seem to only apply it to one party in the mix, and not to both. But sure, enjoy your seat on the high horse. I’ll continue to just let people chose what they need to do, because it’s none of my business.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well it's content for the site, the more content created the better.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Another person's uterus is never anything to do with them.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Why do people care about Ukraine? A country thousands of miles away.

FYI, I'm pretty much on the same side as you but I think that's a silly point to make.

And that's your response? Nothing to say about how awful you are? No comment about the points I make?

No, instead you'll just check what team i'm on so you can decide whether to hate me or not.

Deleting your foul post does not mean we didn't see it and see you for what you are "Mary"

Is it? The limit in the UK is also 24 weeks, why worry about Colombia, which has no impact on us

Also, there is a war in the.Ukraine, where a sovereign nation has been invaded by a mad man, you don't understand the difference in why we should be worried about that, as opposed to a health issue for women in Colombia? They are not in anyway comparable.

If Ukraine goes tits up then it could lead to global nuclear war where we all die in a massive fireball.

A woman having an abortion in Columbia will bot result in us all dying in a massive fireball (unless you're a believer in all that jeebus/end of days stuff) and therefor does not hold the worlds attention.

Yes some of your points are valid answer this have you had an abortion ever? Well it better to have had one in order to have an opinion on it. 12 weeks should be the limit & only for severe medical reason s any other amount after that . They are my thoughts, in a lot of countries they use abortion as a contraception.

in a lot of countries they use abortion as a contraception.

Physically impossible. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I'd love to see the data to back up that statement 😏

not impossible - sexual congress followed by egg fertilization, sexual congress continues for 12 weeks plus then abortion is had to dispose of the inconvenience. That is using abortion as a contraception !

Yeah that doesn't back up your statement, have you read it yourself?

its stats on the balance of figures on contraception versus abortion as contreception

FYI contraception prevents pregnancy, it doesn't end one.

Contraception prevents pregnancy.

Physically impossible for abortion to be a contraceptive.

• Advertisement

Most of the arguments you're attributing to me there are just in your head. Genuinely I don't know how you can say so much, and for pretty much all of it to be wrong.

One example: You said "Women who have a proven, real medical reason to end their pregnancy, you want to force them to carry it to term because you assume some people would have a late stage abortion on a whim."

No I don't. I don't believe that. I've never said that. And I think any woman should be able to get a medically necessary abortion. What you just accused me of is all just in your head. But if you read my posts you'd see I'm not even saying I'm against abortion in general. I wasn't getting into that because I was more interested in discussing peoples attitude towards the life of the unborn

Another example: You said "your other main argument seems to be that because one person made silly comments about foetus not being human you suddenly feel that that is representative of the pro-choice view."

Here's a quote from me to that person: "that's a pretty extreme opinion there you have to admit. Even the vast majority of pro-choice people draw some sort of line much much further back than that (16 weeks, sentience, pain, etc)." So that's me suddenly suggesting that they are representative of the pro-choice view is it?

I genuinely haven't the interest to go through everything that's wrong with what you wrote because I don't think you're here for a good faith discussion. You either weren't bothered or weren't able to read my posts properly so there's no point in us getting any further into this.

Nice try, but no, you did make these arguments. I said - "Christ, no one carries a child for 6 months then suddenly decides they don't want it."

Your response was - "I'd certainly hope that's true, but we live in a world where people rape and murder each other."

That's not something I invented. If that's not what you meant I'm happy for you to walk it back to a more reasonable position, but I definitely didn't make it up.

I also didn't invent the fact that you chose to talk about the one silly crank rather than the other reasonable pro-choice people on this thread. You chose to use that person as an example in a reply to a post I made about late stage abortion not being performed on a whim. A post where you point at this person and the fact that people rape and murder each other as reasons why my view might not be the case.

You can point at your back and forth with him to show you think differently, or you can just say that you think differently and I'll believe you. Happily so as I think it's a more humane position. However the arguments you make in the post I replied to to not match that position, and it's not bad-faith for me to think so.

I would also point out that that it is hardly good-faith debating to make you points and then say "there's no point getting into this further". Trying to get in a parting shot then taking your ball and going home, is not good-faith debating. Nor is the rudeness of your last couple of lines.

Did you read this at all - it specifically lists Abortion and Contraception as two different things.

I mean it's there in the language - Contraception prevents conception, Abortion cannot happen before conception.

Oooh, I just saw this. I get it now, you've no idea what you're talking about. Ok that's fine "Mary" - whatever you say.

Yeah I do hope it's true. Do you know it to be fact that it has never happened? I don't expect it has happened often if ever, but given the world we live in and the things that can happen it wouldn't surprise me if it has. That's all. No implication that it's happening widespread, or that pro-choice want it to happen or anything like that. I merely commented on something you said as if were a statement of fact. No agenda.

Also you didn't "invent the fact" that I chose to refer that "silly crank", but you have invented the reason why. You're trying to infer too much from what I've said (or what I haven't said). Why would I address other things that I'm not taking an issue with? It's was that persons post, and a couple of others that were similar, that I took issue with. I'd hazard a guess that you and I agree on 90%+ on general matters of abortion, so it's not that I'm avoiding topics but rather I just didn't come in here to talk about all that stuff.

As regards rudeness, c'mon Jack, I've hardly said anything worse than you said to me in your first post. Don't be so sensitive, you should be able to give as good as you get.

I was waiting for some brain to come out with that one. Well done.

• Advertisement

As I said, I'm happy to say I misinterpreted you and drew connections that you never intended. Your clarification certainly indicates that.

I don't accept that I'm arguing in bad faith, or that your aggressive response was warranted.

A spectacularly daft post even by anti-choice's low low standards.

Scrap the cap!

I don't know how I missed your opening question but yes, I have had an abortion. Does that mean my opinion means any more than anyone else in this discussion? I don't think so. It only made a difference in the Repeal campaign as I was someone who traveled to England avail of it. Is there something specific you want to know or seek further guidance for?

I wonder if, as a person who is not dead, I'm allowed to have a view on euthanasia?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Of course you are entitled to an opinion, but would your opinion of say an abortion, a court case, or a car crash be more or less valid then the opinion of someone who has actually been through that experience?

Is there a reason my comment was deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

Never mind3, it was 4 posts up if you care to read it.

Good to see the troll op has been banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

@ohnonotgmail I'm not saying that, I'm saying thats its not as black and white as you make out. There is no magic line where a foetus becomes a person with rights and even ignoring that, deciding that one person has more rights than another never ends well, historically.

I think it belittles your point if you try to lump me into some sort of pitchfork waving, bible worshipping nutjob, when I'm simply pointing out that like most things, its not as binary as you make out.

@Mr. CooL ICE I'm not refusing anything, again merely making that point that everyone is just giving their opinion, there are no facts as to when its ok or not ok to have an abortion. Both sides of the debate are entrenched in this "my facts are right and yours are wrong" when the reality is far from this.

In my opinion its complicated decision between the mother, the father, the medics and the circumstances. I dont believe religion has any part to play as an external opinion. The clearcut decisions are comparatively easy, such as the foetus wont survive or that mother wont survive, after that it gets much more complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

OP got aborted, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

. There is no magic line where a foetus becomes a person with rights and even ignoring that, deciding that one person has more rights than another never ends well, historically.

The difference is that you think the foetus is a person. I don't. and there is no magic line but we still have to decide where the line is to the best of our scientific ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You decided for whatever reason to simply ignore all my other replies to you, choosing to attack the low hanging fruit of people you thought were acting poorly rather than discussing your own actual topic. But I shall reply to you in good faith regardless all the same.

Had you not ignored my post you would know I already dealt with some of the issues you raise in this post here.

The first issue is that of "viability". This is a misleading and moving term. As our technology increases, the period during which a fetus is "viable" is going to get longer and longer. We could even expect some future ability to keep a zygote viable to term from conception. So mediating abortion cut off terms based on viability is.... at best... unworkable.

The second issue is you have once again gone on about "pain" and simply declared they feel it. What is your evidence for this? At what stage during fetal development do YOU think this ability to experience pain comes online, and why do you think it exactly? If there is no reason to think a conscious agent is in play, how on earth could it be experiencing pain? Are you perhaps, as so many people before you, mistaking autonomic responses to pain stimulus with the actual experience of pain?

Once again though, nearly all abortions that happen by choice occur in or before week 12. Which is LONG before the term you are going on and on about. And amazingly this does not change if you look at countries with no abortion or massively strict abortion..... more liberal conditions like our own for example.... or the most liberal like for example Canada. Regardless of how liberal or restrictive the abortion conditions are.... women STILL time and time again have their abortion almost entirely in or before week 12 usually and week 16 more so.

You are performing the fallacy of the exception here. Looking at extreme exceptions that A) almost never happen and B) usually happen for damn good reasons and acting like this is some kind of issue for the abortion debate. It really isn't. Also the later the term when things do occur the more likely it is that the fetus is in fact not terminated. The pregnancy is. That is to say.... the later the term the more likely it is we terminate the pregnancy by delivering a viable baby prematurely.

Sure it is a useful and important question about where we should draw our lines in the sand, and what exceptions that can cross that line should exist. Do not mistake me as saying such a conversation should not be had. But alas that conversation is all too often used as a red herring distraction from the abortion conversation itself. Usually by people who are desperate as they (like yourself) have not presented a single more general anti abortion argument. They want abortion to be considered wrong.... just cos..... so they run to the extremes to manufacture an argument where no other argument has supported their agenda.

The word "justify" is a bit misleading here for a start. You do not have to "justify" something you have not managed to indict in the first place. You have utterly failed to offer a single anti-abortion argument on this thread. So since you can not find any actual reasons to think abortion is, in and of itself, a bad or evil or wrong thing..... no one NEEDS to "justify" anything. Like your misuse of the word "sacrosanct" you are using "justify" to do the same thing.... which is to pretend your personal opinion is correct by default.

That said though, there are any number of medical reasons for abortions. Ectopic pregnancies are just an example where something has gone wrong with the pregnancy itself. There are however many conditions which will lead to the fetus not surviving to term, or do die soon after birth. There is no reason to force a woman to continue to carry such a pregnancy against her will, is there? Especially, but not solely, because it can cause all kinds of physical and emotional complications for that woman the longer the pregnancy continues.

In 2015 in the United States about 1% of abortions took place after week 21 for example. Just 1%. The reasons given at the time were such as health risks to the woman and fatal fetal abnormalities. Further where possible, we can move to terminate just the pregnancy not the baby. If there are health risks for the woman who is pregnant, and it is possible to remove the baby from her without killing either, this is of course the outcome we should target. Especially as our medical ability to keep such a baby alive improve over time.

She should certainly, in theory, be able to terminate the PREGNANCY at that point. She should absolutely have that right and I see nothing against it. Though having a "right" does not automatically mean we have to provide that service as a society. But I see no reason not to really if resources allow.

Once again, as I said in posts you ignored and again above in this very post.... when a pregnancy reaches that stage we terminate the pregnancy not the baby. As in we delivery the baby by inducing early labor or removal surgically. I see no argument at all for supporting a woman's right to terminate the baby at that point however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement