Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The Munster and Leinster Championships should both be guaranteed 5 teams. The one with a 6th team should be determined by the Joe McDonagh Cup.

If Kerry win the McDonagh Cup this year. They should be promoted as the 6th team in Munster and the 6th team in Leinster should be relegated.

Next year then, the 6th team in Munster should be relegated and the Joe McDonagh winner promoted to their province.

This ensures that the 6th place team is always relegated and the McDonagh winner is always promoted to their province.

BTW: If the McDonagh runner-up were ever to win the All-Ireland, unlikely to happen for sure, then the All-Ireland winner instead of the McDonagh winner should be promoted. A GAA solution for a GAA problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Preliminary quarter-finals are unnecessary bloating. The top 2 should go direct to the quarter-finals.

But allowing the third placed team into this "preliminary quarter final" means that you eliminate dead rubbers in the group stages.

Going into the last game even a team on zero points is likely to have a shot at getting to third place.

The All Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group Stage (a.k.a the super 8) suffered badly from dead rubbers in it short life.

I accept your point too. There are pros and cons.

If they insert a rule that R1 winners cannot play in R2, it'll be a good fit for their structure. If 2 teams with 2 wins play in R3, they are playing to win the group. The 2 losers are playing for the 3rd spot, every game has something on the line.

If they do not insert that rule, it could suit 2 teams with a win each to draw their final game so that the team without a win cannot catch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That's a situation where the group is 4-2-2-0 going into the last set of games, with the two teams on 2 points playing each other?

I don't think you should worry too much about them playing for a draw here, because (a) if its a draw only one of them can get a home tie in the next round so the team that would be away in the Last12 is clearly incentivised to go for the win. (b) both of them are still in a situation whereby with a win they could top the group and go straight to the quarter-finals, (c) playing for a draw in a high-scoring sport is inherently difficult, albeit if the scores happen to be tied with 5 minutes left then the game may peter out.

• Advertisement

If the two R1 winners cannot play in R2, it guarantees the group cannot be won until R3 and no team has been eliminated. Each team definitely has something to play for in R3.

Eh, it's not possible under any system for the group to be won after 2 rounds, so you are coming up with a convoluted method to solve a problem which doesn't actually exist.

After 2 games the most you can lead by is 2 points, so you can always be caught for first place on the last day. I don't believe any team can be mathematically eliminated after 2 games either.

If you win your first 2 games and those 2 teams have a win each, they cannot finish above you in R3 on the head to head.

R1: Tyrone beat Cork and Mayo beat Kildare.

R2: Tyrone beat Mayo and Cork beat Kildare.

R3: Cork and Mayo cannot win the group because of the head to head. Kildare cannot finish 3rd because they have lost to both Cork and Mayo. Only one of Cork and Mayo can finish on 2 points. Cork or Mayo on 2 points cannot be caught by Kildare due to the head to head.

R2 variant: If Tyrone and Mayo cannot play in R2, the group cannot be won until R3.

Is it head to head to decide placings. I assumed it was points difference first, hence my claim that it was not possible to win a group after two matches.

I'll take it back if I was wrong. Is there an actual document explaining the new structure in more detail than the superficial level that the newspapers used?

Head to head came in a few years ago, it's been accepted as common knowledge but it very understandable at the same time that some might be unaware. It usually comes up in discussion on the final weekend of the league.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt scoring diff be better as less likely to have dead rubbers in Rd 3?

Head to head is better. Beat a team gives you the advantage over them. R1 winners avoiding each other in R2 is not complicated.

Someone was saying that in the Dublin Championship, the R1 winners meet in R2. That suits when 2 teams advance from a group.

I think H2H is better but scoring diff would mean less dead rubbers

H2H and no dead rubbers can both coexist:

Where 2 teams advance from a group of 4, the R1 winners must play each other in R2.

Where 3 teams advance from a group of 4, the R1 winners must play each other in R3.

Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt! Job done and we can all get on with the game!

Wont happen though, teams will want to know who and when they are playing, also venue, times etc will need to be decided in advance surely? For logisitics, ticketing, TV etc?

Time will tell. It was to under consideration for the Super 8s but the pandemic championships put an end to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

New "smart" sliotar being trialled in u-20 championships.

Professor Kieran Moran of DCU, who has been working with the GAA's director of games development & research Pat Daly on sliotar standardisation since 2003, also pointed out that contrary to common belief, heavier sliotars actually travel further due to air resistance.

Common belief would tell you heavier ball travels further.

Is this really such a problem? Have players come off pitches saying the ball wasn't right? All the talk of rim size is just a cover, it's money. That's the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Should the GAA make there video archives public ?

Love watching games from previous years and a few channels on YouTube are great esp 'Tallowmangaa'. That resource I imagine is a huge strain on time for the people who run that channel but no doubt the GAA have enough money/staff etc to create a video archive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don’t think there’s any Sporting Organisation in the world that makes it publicly available for free anyway but by right they could have it public behind a paywall. I don’t see the harm but in reality I don’t see a massive money maker from it, given the cost of bandwidth to host that many matches and develop a product around it too. Don’t see a genuine demand for it.

• Advertisement

Not full games but anyway

https://crokepark.ie/digital-archive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Probably discussed here before but what's the reasoning behind the radical changing in scheduling with GAA football and hurling championships.

I see the hurling senior final is set for Sunday July 17th. It was traditionally the first Sunday in September. Was then moved to August in recent times and is now all over in mid July. Strange stuff from an organisation that I always felt was conservative and resistant to change. They still have the old provincial set up for example.

Is this scheduling change down to the power of the clubs? The county game in Football and Hurling is the showcase of GAA. The two All Ireland's were always a big event for kids in schools especially from the counties involved. Not sure about the thinking behind all that.

The split season, having a clearly defined club season. Think they should move the finals forward a few weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If it’s to do with defining the club season separately to the county season, why not just start the county season later in the year and finish it as they had done before with the big quarter finals, semi finals etc in late July and into August. Seems strange to not have big GAA football and hurling games to watch in August.

Thats what i thought initially but the argument is that county managers etc would be pulling club players from games and no matter how you might empower co boards to over rule this, we all know how things happen on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seems strange to not have big GAA football and hurling games to watch in August.

In that context I wonder is there a new TV contract either in place or on the way for club coverage.

TG4 have been covering club games for years but mainly the provincial club championships in autumn, and more recently RTE have started covering county club games.

There will be a demand to watch some sort of GAA on TV from August onwards, so it will have to be meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

On this week's Examiner podcast Tony Leen suggested that the GAA copy soccer and give the ref a can of foam to mark where a free is to be taken. Hadn't thought about it much myself previously but it seemed entirely reasonable.

Re next years football cship Group Stages, has it been decided how the group will be formed? I think the prov champions will all be seeded but how ill the other places be decided? I presume the next top 4 in the league will be 2nd seeds but is it predetermined what group they will go into, ie 1st into Group1, 2nd into Group 2 etc or will there be a draw? Think a draw would be much better, would generate great interest

• Advertisement

I think there would have to be a draw for the teams going in via their league placing. They couldn't just say 'best League Team goes in with Munster Champions etc'.

At the time they said it'll be -

No 1 seeds = 4 provincial champions. I guess these can be assigned to a group.

No 2 seeds = 4 provincial beaten finalists. Logically these should go into different groups than the 1 seeds.

No 3 seeds = next 4 teams via league position.

No 4 seeds = next 4 teams via league position *.

• There is also a place reserved for Tailteann Cup winners if they haven't qualified via any of the above methods. Presumably there's also a place reserved for All-Ireland Champions in the unlikely event they don't otherwise qualify (though it's plausible in the case of Div2 Derry in a tough Ulster Championship). So it could be as few as 6 teams via league position.

I doubt they've put much thought into whether they want to avoid a group ending up as 3 teams from the same province etc.

Advertisement