Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭mossie

For an absolute Souls beginner, what class should I choose at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I haven't played all the classes but I'm playing Samurai and finding it fairly straightforward.

Just pay attention to what stats are important, I'm not using magic so there's no point in leveling magic stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Basically me to Margit :D

You are, I'm getting +10 in my strength stat and increased stamina recovery. I've others for damage reduction I can swap in if need be. Most of the ones I've got have been from the minor Erdtrees. Be warned those areas have some of the worst enemies in the game imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Two hours last night until 3am and I'm wrecked. He is one of those bosses that I have their pattern down but it was a matter of executing it without choking.

Well that and getting snaky hits in after summoning my doggos to get through that second phase a little quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of those Erdtree bosses are nasty alright - just beat one this evening (in the lake area) that could one shot me so it was a real battle of evasion.

It feels like those fights are designed around horseback fighting though.

Personally going with the half FP / major damage negation combo. Although I heard somewhere there’s one that gives you free casting for 10 seconds or something which sounds built for my build 👀

The amount of magic the Erdtree lads can produce is obscene, like I've seen them cast the same spell 3 or 4 times in a row and that didn't feel right to me especially with AOE stuff. I think their AI is slightly off?

Loving my 2nd go at Limgrave, destroying the mini bosses first go and actually found a couple of new areas. Found a whole new part of castle morne with the finger that allows you to see co op signs. I was wondering why i couldn't see any signs, very strange an item like that was on a path of a secondary area you can completely miss. Found a claymore as well that would have been handy with my previous STR build. Anyway, found a 100% physical shield so my Samurai build is coming along nicely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Really enjoying the Samurai, Unsheathe is brilliant. Have 1 FP flask allotted specially for use with it. Switch between 100% shield and longbow on the left hand depending on the situation. Was using the brass shield but found another 100% that’s lighter so switched.

Did some more exploring, dinged lvl 27 and managed to get

Margit’s Shackle

so hopefully that should help that fight go a little smoother, that’s next on the list.

Also saw this article - folks spending rl money on runes. What a waste.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-04-i-bought-elden-ring-runes-on-ebay-so-you-dont-have-to

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wish you could unbind the left trigger button from dismounting you. Pain in the arse constantly jumping off my horse while fighting a **** dragon!

So maybe i can rebind the controls? Got to change that if so.

Nope, doesn't seem like i can change it, or at least not without rebinding crouch.

• Advertisement

This game has some simple pleasures, backstabbing or guard breaking imps into the ground through the head and popping those balloons with the mobs attached for a rune as a reward 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As in their AoE slam / homing soulmass type combo attack? It’s tricky alright, although another reason why horseback is the way to go IMO.

Glad I went with an Int / Dex build (although it is my long-time Souls default) as quite a few bosses so far have insane range on their melee attacks. Casting is definitely an advantage against quite a few (Margit went down on the first try). Although definitely think Godrick’s flame spewing attack is one of the more insane attacks in any of these games - a nightmare to dodge that bloody thing as it sweeps over half the battlefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Someone here was mentioning about losing their save when switching from the PS5 version to PS4 version.

I'm considering starting a PS4 file to see how it plays but I'm wondering can I put my PS5 save file on a memory stick, delete the console save and then start the PS4 version? Then if I want to go back I can just save the PS4 save to a different memory stick and transfer the original PS5 save.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The small jump you can now do can be a lifesaver when it comes to enemy ground-pound aoe attacks. I almost never got hit with Godrick's ground slam because I was able to just jump and negate the impact, and get in close for a follow up. His flame spewing never got me that much after the first try as I just ran like f*ck and used it to heal.

Have only fought one of the Erdtree guardians, and yeah horseback was definitely the way to go to avoid the magic.

My most hated enemy in the game so far are the axe-wielding misbegotten in the castle on the Weeping Peninsula. The range and arc on their attacks wouldn't be so bad if not for the ludicrous delay in their swings. After they wind up you can dodge about 3 times before they swing the f*cking thing. Always get lamped with that one.

That was me. So, you can install the ps4 game app, start a new game and it will create a separate save file to your ps5 save. You only lose the ps5 save if you load up the ps5 game app and specifically choose to 'convert save data' which is the bottom option on the main menu screen. It gives a watching that it will overwrite your ps5 save before it does it.

So, you're free to play the ps4 version, mess around and at any time go back to the ps5 save to play your original playthrough.

I'm finding the ps4 version much more enjoyable so continuing with that and if a patch fixes the ps5 version, then I'll transfer my save.

I've had one do a jump with small AOE that then summons about a dozen homing lightning arrows and go into the cast again before the arrows have finished, so I'm about to ride back at it then have to abort and they could pull that off 3 times on the bounce. I just didn't look right to me so had me questioning if it was a bug in the AI.

I wish I'd gone with some range , the hit boxes on some of the larger stuff is suspect at times, like Dragonkin I think it was I was standing right under swinging for the fences with a great sword with nothing registering.

EDIT: I should disclose for that particular Dragonkin enemy I did benefit from a bug where I was at it's knee and it was pushing me around as it turned and I was swinging totally safe from hard and it never went to it's second phase and I just keep swinging think please don't stand up. I'll take a slice of cheese like that from time to time :D

Yeah I started I think with Warrior but have leveled up to be more of a Dex build with the Uchigatana and unsheathe. Going to start trying to mix in more spells and stuff and level up those stats for the next while, got a decent magic staff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had a decent run this morning, beating a bunch of what i assume are side/optional bosses. Still haven't gone far in the castle, just about got through the gates. Fighting some purple knight now, trying to figure out his rotation. Had him to nearly half health last round, but will have to leave it till later. Definitely need to be more aggressive against most enemies from what i can see. Sitting back hasn't been working.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Margit was a bit of an anti-climax in the end - took him down first try and don't think I was hit once. NPC summon & the wolves did most of the work and only used the

shackle

once. Also had the Uchi at +4 and used Unsheathe a few times. Didn't stop me getting smashed by some of the enemies inside the castle though. 🤣

I must say the castle itself is incredible looking.

Are you able to apply magic to your weapon via a spell? I used that quiet a bit in DS3 so curious if it's still a thing in ER, I know you can do it with a consumable but prefer to use FP.

Yeah there’s weapon enhancement magic, although it’s down the incantation path I believe. There’s also a powerful magic sword you can conjure as a sort of normal attack which has carved through the few normal enemies I’ve tried it on. Magic is wonderfully fully featured in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm after finding some really nice equipment over the last few days. Got a Jawbone Axe down in the underground area I mentioned earlier and it's got a really nice moveset. Also has an AOW that lets me hold L2 and you can just keep swinging while holding the trigger. Also great that it only needs 14 strength to use.

I also found two staffs that are useless to me as I'm not a magic dude. One is the Staff of Loss and the other is a Meteorite Staff which looks to have really good stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Having a blast. The open world is a game changer. The problem I had in Dark Souls was always banging my head off a hard boss 50+ times with nowhere else to go and an annoying run every time. Now I just go explore for a bit and come back stronger and the boss respawn points make it so much more enjoyable.

Playing sorcerer and it's kind of annoying your starting spell pebble seems to be one of the, if not the strongest spell you'll ever have.

The Pebble is indeed very powerful for a starting spell, although in my last session I got a scroll for a more powerful version which is now my go-to as it hits quite a bit harder (although maybe a tad less efficient FP-wise).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Gone for a strength build and annoyingly keep finding amazing magic stuff! Really on the hunt for new weapons though. I’m still using the twinblade I’ve had since the first day I played it - it’s doing the job but there has to be some better stuff out there!

I'm using a Lordsworn's Heavy greatsword, looks to be the same as a Claymore pretty much. I do have some other nice bits like the rusten anchor and Watchdog's Staff which is seriously cool it's move set is that of an ultra greatsword but it's special when two handing is to summon 5 magic arrows.

Only reason I'm not using them is I have the Lordsworn greatsword to +11 and don't have the mats to get either of the others nearly as high.

Yes. As with other Souls games, there are two magic branches; in this game it's Sorcery and Incantations.

Sorcery is based on the Intelligence skill and Staff weapons. Seems to be magic type of attacks. There's definitely one spell for enchanting your weapon which I've gotten, but haven't used yet.

Incantations are based on the Faith skill and Seal weapons. Seems to be elemental (fire/lightning/poison) and healing types of spells. I think there are spells that can add fire or lightning to your weapon.

I bought a few incantations early on (plus I forgot there'd be different ways of casting different spells. Had one death in a boss fight trying to cast a healing spell with my Staff instead of a seal), but going to focus more on just the magic/Intelligence spells.

There's an tear you can use in the physick flask that causes an explosion when you drink it after a short delay, you take damage so for me it was about a fifth of my health bar. Tried drinking it and running at a dungeon boss with my shield up. BOOM!!!!!! and that was him done 🤣

I'll see if I can work out how to post the capture.

Hmmm I noticed there that some of the summons require a decent amount of FP just wondering are they worth it? I'd be looking at having to put maybe 10 points in to get it high enough for some of them, one of them needs 104 FP

The summons are definitely worth it imo. They don't always do huge damage, but they take a lot of aggro off the bosses and can make the bosses target them instead, so you have time to heal or avoid attacks, get behind etc. I've mostly been using the Lone Wolf one, which is three wolves for about 55FP. I have gotten a few who are single heroes for more FP but haven't tried them yet.

Given that you use FP for magic and weapon skills, it's worth building up your FP bar anyway, and saving a flask refill for your FP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but if you let Fia hug you in the Roundtable Hold, you'll probably want to use that item she gives you - holding onto it gives you a -5% hit to your HP.

Advertisement