Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Sorry another dividend question. I had a few small dividends on DeGiro last year. There was a deduction on DeGiro which I'm assuming is 25% DWT.

So after this the remaining sum is treated as income?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Found this on Ask About Money forum from a poster discouraging amateur investors going it alone….

Opinions? Are they drumming business for their own business or would you find this credible.

Post edited by SnowyMuckish on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The whole dividend is income.

The State tells the firms to deduct a witholding tax, which is now 25%.

You declare the dividend in your normal tax return.

You either get some tax back, or pay the balance 15% if you are 40% tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Capital Gains Tax Question (most likely asked & answered 100 times already so please point me in the right direction!)

I started trading at the beginning of last year and need some clarity on Irish CGT in relation to stocks.

So my question - can losses on the sale of stocks be carried over year to year indefinitely? And can the losses from the sale of one stock be offset against the gains from a different stock or do they have to be used on the same class of stock?

Random example: if I lost 1k on MSFT/GOOGL or whatever stock this year, could that loss be offset against a gain from BTC in 2024?

I ask this because I recently read this in a moneyguideireland.com article:

If you have shares that have gone down in value and you wish to use the loss incurred on the shares against other gains, then you must dispose of the shares in the same tax year as other shares sales upon which you have made a gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 KrazyKMM

If you are just starting out with investing, what would you say is a good amount of stocks for a portfolio to be considered well-diversified? Obviously I can't buy in all at once, but I am making a goal. I am thinking 20. Is that too many?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

20 is a good number to be diversified. The key is to be diversified in industry and market. 10 different shares is more diversified than 20 travel stocks for example.

Can be tough to buy 20 in one go without a big initial deposit (unless you're going for fractional shares)

Thanks! I really appreciate the reply. Yes, I do plan to buy into them just a few at a time with hopefully getting to a full 20 different positions within 3-6 months. I do plan to buy some in fractional shares. Once I get all of them that I want to hold, then I will continue to put a little bit into them as I can. Your comment about being in different industries makes sense. I will be sure to diversify into different sectors. Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Some complete noob questions here and apologies in advance.

I was looking to throw maybe 100 euro a month into s&p 500 for long-term investment (decades).

Just wondering is it is easy as doing so on degiro just adding 100 euro a month and forgetting it about it or do I have to worry about filling up tax forms every couple of years or getting surprised with charges on degiro each year. Any help would be appreciated and sorry for being so green to the area of stocks.

Don't quote me on it, but I don't think you have to worry about the taxes unless you actually take realized gains or losses. Not sure about Degiro fees though.

It seems he's talking about ETFs. Which are taxed differently to stocks. Definitely worth researching.

• Advertisement

If you're putting it into a S&P ETF, you have to complete a tax return from year 8 onwards. Nothing too onerous, In year 8, you've to calcualte the tax on your profit as if you've sold the year 1 shares. Year 9, do the same for year 2 etc.

Degiro charges aren't noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Okay thanks I will have 8 years to learn all about it so.

Is the below fund in picture the closest I can get to the s&p500?

Or is there one you would recommend instead.

Thanks

This is the equivalent of VOO in the United States. It's a good one for following the S&P 500. Check the expense ratio on that. Not too bad at 0.07%.

What platform do you use to buy your investment trusts? I was looking at Aj Bell, their fees seem ok according to boringmoney? Can you set up an account if you’re based here in Ireland?

What other options are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Degiro have all the main ones, including the Ballie Galford trusts

Are there any ‘ beginners 101’ simple to follow websites or apps to help learn about tax on investments in Ireland that anyone could recommend?

https://youtu.be/InfLTMTllg4

Thanks Bainboru! Just had a look at that and their other stuff, They have so many informative videos for beginning investors! Well worth it!

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous, but it seems to good to be true, am I understanding this right?

According to the above SMTs investments grew 359.81% over the last 5 years.

So for example if I had invested €1000 5 years ago my return would now be this:

€1000 + 359.81%

€1000 + €3598.1= €4598.1

Surely I’m misunderstanding/ miscalculating?

I think it's a little selective with when they took the 5 year period, 5 years ago it was 360 and now its 970 so more like 170%. And you'll need to pay tax obviousy on your gain. It had a great run and may have been up 360% at some stage, it's down about 40% in the last few months

• Advertisement

I was thinking it sounded too good to be true , thanks!

If it’s not too personal a question, would anyone be willing to give an example of their own returns from investing in an investment trust over the last five or ten years? I would love to get an actual insight on how people have really faired out, I completely understand if it’s too personal!

The last few years are a bit of an anomaly, the S&P in the past 3 years is up 31%, 18%, 29%, so even just buying a cheap Vanguard fund for those years has been tough to beat. Personally, 2020 was a year I'll never beat, 110% in the year, mainly off the back of Bitcoin surge and the tech stocks surging, but was flat then for 2021 and down so far this year. I've only been invested about 10 years and have a CAGR of 24% currently. I don't think that even beats the market in that period!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Was only in the financial position to start Feb 2021 after being a long time voyeur of the markets, anyways my impeccable timing had me down 10.5% by end of Dec 2021 and now down 20% since the start of this year! Come sign up to my financial advice service turning dreams into nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 peacock20

Have been watching a lot of Everything Money on YouTube.. I kind of like it, main guy is no nonsense really, bit arrogant but that doesn't bother me. Anyone watch them, has anyone signed up to their software?

The videos are always a hard sale of their software, that's fair enough, but if you look past that, I'm wondering if it could be helpful to nail down a process. Personally, I'm a bit all over the place lately, but too flighty.

Any thoughts on this anyone ?

From observing from the sidelines I see some of the green energy stocks that I’ve had on my watch list have shot upon the last few days, no doubt due to the energy crisis atm. Everything else seems to be going down.

Where does money usually go when the market is nervous? Bonds/ gold? Has anyone invested in these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

So I hadn't lodged money to my etoro account in a while but don't see to be able do it like I used to before

I used to lodge through PayPal in dollars from a revolut mastercard. This meant the exchange rate was done on revolut who I think are much better than using etoros exchange rate. But the option to lodge in dollars seems to be gone off the PayPal site? Am I missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Just thinking about something, if you are in a position of recurring income and have future CGT wins then really investing is a no brainer, although I state that with intention someone here might correct assumptions I'm making

If you realize any stock losses you can off-set them against future CGT gains, my own accountant tells me absolutely yes on this as I thought it could only be CGT in the specific year, so really even when you lose you don't really lose 💁‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

A loss is a loss, either straight or through massive taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

So I have 1-2k to play about with on shares via Revolut... I'm not too fussed about short term losses etc and it's money I can afford to loose. Ideally, I'd like to pick about 10 stocks and forget about the choices for a minimum of 5 years. Any suggestions or ideas? I will be doing my own research but I'm interested in peoples thoughts.

Advertisement