Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

I've not heard that, no, but I wouldn't be surprised! I've always found it strange that there was no "big box" gyms in Bray (except for crossfits). Plus the drawing for the center looks like threadmills in the window on the first floor lol. However in saying that, I would be hoping for actual stores rather than a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oh yes the "expensive" cinema is going to cause mayhem on BOF.

"What!€20 to watch Schindler's List. Disgusting!".

The outrage will be strong and no attention paid to the whole thing being a different concept to a normal cineplex.

That being said I wonder how it will work and if it will succeed.

Also the bowling alley, really surprised me and I wonder if it will do well.

Agreed. From talk around boards/forums, it seems that there will also be "regular" cinema screens to suit people not willing to pay for the "experience". Nobody will be forced to pay to attend. It will be an asset to the town and if people have a problem with it, then they can simply just pretend there is no cinema there, like there has been for the last 15 or so years...

It seems Dundrum is getting a similar "Berts Bowl" bowling alley, hopefully they follow a similar concept to "Brooklyn Bowl" in the US where its a food/bar/music venue/nightclub/bowling alley venue

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bray has become very rundown and neglected looking over the last decade. I think this center will be a very welcome addition to the town. I know many that will frequent the cinema, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rumour on BOF saying TK maxx will be anchor store

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

I’m not sure how I feel it being TK MAX if true …. It’s not a shop you’d frequent too often, it’s more a browse type shop… maybe that’s just me

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I can't even bring myself to do that such is my dislike of the place. That said, I think it would be a good addition to the town as it would definitely bring in the shoppers and, presumably, more retailers would then follow.

I'd say it's just you to be honest as they can't have hundreds of shops all over the world surviving by people just browsing.

Most shops have at least 6- 10 cash desks operating at a time to deal with customers so I think people definitely buy stuff there.

Anyhow, I think there's a strong chance that TK Maxx will feature in new complex and dont' see how it's a bad thing. It's not like it it will be the only one of the larger shops in the new centre.

Also, who are people expecting? What contenders are there? I think Penneys, Dunne's, TK Maxx, M&S (Unlikely) , Home Store & More and maybe Argos are the most likely of the larger chain stores who will be there.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm obviously not the target market, but I hate TK Maxx, I find it unpleasant to be in.

"I'd like a shirt"

"Great - he're a rail with 200 shirts in random styles and sizes, most of them hideous and overpriced, even at the supposed discount. Spend an hour searching through them and you might find one that you like, in the wrong size."

I don't mind TK Maxx at all, Just don't like how they have things on top of one another and as you say they might have items in all sizes.

That being said they're fairly good at keeping most clothes grouped by size but I certainly wouldn't find their items hideous or overpriced. You can definitely get "last season's" branded item of good quality at a reduced price.

I think it's a good contender for Bray as they were supposed to be going to Dun Laoghaire shopping centre but from what I understand that has fallen through.

• Advertisement

I guess with Carrickmines so close by I wouldnt have thought TK Maxx would be an option but lets not rule anything out. I would have thought a Sports shop of some kind, i did think M&S at one point too as there are no shops south of dundrum... who knows.. maybe a super drug... NEXT...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I wouldn't rule out TK Maxx as Bray is a big enough town and catchment area but Next is another good shout that could also do very well.

Probably, but for me I've always found their food, over priced, over rated and the "British" angle of all their products turns me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I would probably go to the expensive cinema the odd time. I would be more likely to go see new movies and also bring the kids to see kids movies. Hopefully the new cinema caters for that. I think that things that do well in Bray tend to be things that cater to families.

Read on Bray People at weekend (article is behind a paywall) that the council were updated by the developers last week and told that some restaurants in Bray Central will open next month(I'm guessing the likes of Wowburger and Elephant & Castle) but the cinema will take 6 months to open to its complicated fit out.

No anchor tenants were named but they said they were still going through the legal process.

Based on that I think it looks it will be close to Christmas before the whole site will be fully operational.

I read this too! It's a shame they cannot do a full reveal however given the delays due to covid etc, its understandable why they aren't hanging around any longer with opening up with whats ready!

Here's hoping that we receive an announcement shortly on the tenants and that everyone is happy (however - it's Bray, so thats unlikely 😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Has anyone eaten in the new Thai place opposite the hotel

Still no news on shopping centre anchor store.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Can't help thinking 'The White Elephant' would be an appropriate name for this shopping centre!

I hope I'm proven wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Great to see The Green Tree on Herbert Road up and running again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it took a while though! I thought the place was going to be developed as a house site it was taking so long.

So Im hearing basically that the 2 anchor shops are Penneys and TK Maxx. And that is coming from someone very close to the Council who would be talking regularly to all who knows whats going on.

Terry Pratchet

Why is that? Do you walk/drive past it? Have you seen its progress? From the outside you can tell it is high quality built that has unfortunately been delayed due to COVID-19. If you know anything about OAKMOUNT/PRESS UP company you should know they will not put their name on something that is not top class. Just because it's taking longer to open does not mean its going to fall apart and be derelict. Jesus, we've been waiting 25 or so years, what is a couple more months! The negativity around this center from people is really something to behold. A lot of people in Bray have a real hatred for change and progression, after crying about the lack of change and progression. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. The b*tching and moaning from people regarding how the traffic will be once the center is opened, and then plans are announced for a new bridge to cross the Dargle to help ease said traffic and the same people are crying "WHAT ABOUT THE SWANS????". Its actually comical at this stage.

I think the public would be happy with those choices! Here's hoping! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I see BOF has broken you too, just like me... 😀.

The Dawson's carpark was the one for me recently, stop apartments being built there because the site was once an amusements. They'd complain about winning the Euromillions.

Haha yeah that one got me too. If I eyerolled any more....

Yes, one person said that the new development was the death of Victorian Bray.

As you can see from above Dawson's was a beautiful example of fine Victorian architecture on Bray's seafront and is greatly missed

Agree 100% with this.

People complaining that the current developers are responsible for the whole debacle since the 1990s but they have only been involved since site was bought over by the council a few years back.

Since then it has been on track and recent delays are due to Covid.

With building work now complete and as you say it's of high quality, how people can say it's going to be a white elephant is beyond me.

I do find it strange how anchors have not been confirmed yet but these can be complicated deals with a due legal process so I'm sure they will as soon as they can.

TK Maxx and Penneys would be good additions to the town. I still hold out hope for new modern Dunnes but I don't know.

I think also having a cinema and more choice of restaurants is a big plus that will boost the main street during the day and night.

• Advertisement

I understand that the delay in announcing anchor tenants is the legal stuff.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement