Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I used to think that but every day the war goes on and Putin's reputation is chipped away more and more for not easily taking over a country the more I think he may make the order. The only grounding thing is I don't think there are enough suicidal idiots that would relay the order and for the button to actually get pressed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Yes I am because, he can't do that to the world. He might think about it but thinking and doing are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Whats not enough ,

Thousands of anti aircraft missiles , thousands of anti tank weapons , thousands of Small arms and artillery ,they the Ukrainians are doing a bloody fantastic Job ,I'd love to see Nato airstrikes but it'd not going happen ,in the meantime they are giving Putin a public bloody nose ,by all accounts thanks to Nato weapons they have stalled the 30 km convoy outside of Kiev after taking out the lead vehicles ,it's one long kill zone the Russians can't retreat from and the longer they sit there the more damage Ukraine will do ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The old joke was an American saying to a Soviet that he lived in a free country because he could criticize his government. The Soviet responded that he was free because he could criticise the American government too. Lets not forget the existing Russian regime is relatively liberal too. So long as you don't criticise Putin, you can say what you want. It's why fugitives like Edward Snowden - who simply told the truth against their own governments - have found shelter in Russia but would be imprisoned for the rest of his natural life if he strayed into a "free" country.

You're pretending that disagreement over tactics is actual dissent. You can disagree over the best way to achieve the aims of the ruling ideology in any country in the world - the USA, Russia, China, etc. But if you dissent from the ruling ideology in the USA, Russia or China you'll be treated much the same. I think the Russians and Chinese have missed a trick in not simply having two parties that agree on all major ideological points and instead hype up minor points of disagreement and personality contests. Hold an election every few years, whoever wins the same ruling ideology is implemented. Whereas the Russians and Chinese are too coarse and unsophisticated to be that dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Life in Kyiv now. Still so surreal

A 43-year-old father and resident of Kyiv spoke to the Guardian about how life has changed since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began a week ago.

My son’s a very brave boy. He’s trying not to cry. He’s trying to help. But every time the siren sounds from outside the window, and we have to run downstairs to the shelter again, I can see he’s scared. But he doesn’t panic.

That day I was standing with a neighbour outside in our yard. Suddenly we heard gunshots from automatic rifles close by. Later I read the news via Telegram that Russian troops were trying to infiltrate the city. It said they were liquidated.

At the moment you hear gunfire, you’re not afraid – you don’t have time to be afraid, you just have to get your son to safety in the car park. The shock comes a little later, when you realise you could have been killed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

hats off to the Azov Battalion, fierce fighters though even if they are nazis!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

From reading the article that accompanied the video it appears the first shot was explosive and took at least one of the tyres. Very lucky people to walk away from that. I think the Russians have mixed up the word liberate with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

That Sky News video is absolutely chilling, very lucky crew.

I thought journalism was dead after COVID, but my god the reports out of Ukraine have been something else (incl Stuart Ramsay). There’s 2 Irish journos on BBC reporting most nights who are also brilliant. (Orla Guerin and Fergal Keane?)

Not true the rpg is still an extremely effective and cheap to produce weapons the AK12 rifles only came into service in 2018 ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

it is entirely feasible those 70 fighter jets the EU supposedly promised to Ukraine actually got spirited in somehow, though the EU now deny they ever agreed to it

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You don't think it's a possibility? You believe everything Ukrainians say without questioning it?

Was it independently verified that it was Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just like he can’t invade a sovereign nation.

Just like he can’t poison humans with novichock nerve agent in NATO countries

just like he can’t make the Russian duma pass laws that carry a 15 year prison sentence for spreading false information.

Just like he wouldn’t threaten the west by putting his nuclear deterents on alert

Just like he wouldn’t threaten Finland with military consequences if it joined NATO.

To be honest I don’t think you’ve though this through and your reacting off emotion.

Again NATO cannot officially intervene here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The rest of that kit is bang up to date, there's the improved versions of the PKM, AK and Dragunov. Worth noting that some British Elite units still used the lee enfield for sniping because the sniper version really good, old does not always mean obsolete.

Russians seem to throwing paratroopers into situations with no support, good way to get them killed.

Doubt it ,it's hard to hide 70 + aircraft and Bulgaria Said they barely have the ability to keep what little they have flying , Romania lost 2 aircraft over the black sea the other day one mig and one puma helicopter in separate accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭standardg60

Interesting map of where refugees of the war have migrated

Wonder how many went to Russia and Belarus willingly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I think we need to find a way out of this that isn’t all out war. Of course criticise as many other nations have. I do think Ireland has been very vocal - David McCullough’s confrontational interview with the Russian ambassador went viral worldwide. Would he do the same to the Chinese ambassador over say Taiwan? We need to keep diplomatic channels open, Ireland historically has been a peace broker & achieved a peace settlement here in Northern Ireland.

The fact is Russia is a major military power, when this crisis passes - how will they view Ireland into the future. Make no mistake, their ‘military drills’ in our economic zone was a message. Strictly speaking - we’re not in NATO. We don’t have an automatic knight in shining armour to come and defend us. It’s likely the U.K. or US would, but not inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,185 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't need to say that. I've said that neither though or I have any idea who was or wasn't in that building. But you've decided it most likey doesn't include legitimate military targets like ukranian snipers or reconnaissance or just Ukrainian resistance having a rest.

And you've based thar on no evidence, just the fact that the ukranians have an army. If you were being honest, you'd say you don't have a clue and I know neither of us have a clue because if either of us were involved enough to have a clue, then we wouldn't have time to post on Boards.ie.

So our choice is to accept the facts we see (an apartment block was shelled) or believe our own editorial which is that the Russians shelled an apartment block out of malice because there weren't any legitimate Ukranian militarily targets in the block and Ukranian militarily would never even sleep in an apartment block or use an apartment block for legitimate military purposes like sniping or reconnaissance or sleeping, because...

If we're honest, we'll admit we haven't a clue. And I support Ukraine without pretending I know what's really happening.

I'm pretty sure the Russians take a very dim view of people who leak their classified info, Edvuard Snowdenski carrying on with Vikileaks in Russia would never have got so far as a trial.

Still, nice try at false equivalence.

• Advertisement

It's grim to look at that map, you can see the real focus is the south, trying to encircle Ukrainian forces in LNR and DNR, whilst putting pressure on Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Finland seems to be heading towards Nato (possibly with Sweden), based on talks today between president Biden and the Finnish president in Washington today. Finnish minister of defense is also heading to Washington next week, and Sweden's prime and defense ministers are visiting Finland.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/biden-meets-finnish-leader-russia-rattles-european-neighbors-2022-03-04/

Just like he can’t poison humans with novichock nerve agent in NATO countries

And what did NATO do exactly to punish him? Yes nothing. In an all out war they be the cowards that wouldn't get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It's insane to even consider Serbia for EU membership. If you think that the Hungarians and Poles are "Right Wing" and Nationalistic, the Serbs leave them in the halfpenny place.

Just like he wouldn’t threaten Finland with military consequences if it joined NATO.

And so if Finland joined, would Nato leave them on their own in the likely event of an Attack? I think they actually would they are so useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The reality is those reporters did not know who had shot at them. They initially believed they were being shot at by Ukrainians and started shouting they were journalists. This is in an environment where the Ukrainian government has already distributed weapons to undisciplined, uncontrolled civilian "militias" that they have no command or control over.

They were later told by Ukrainians that it was "Russian hit squads" who had shot at them. There is no reason given for why those Ukrainians should know. It was just as likely it was a panicky local militia.

There's been some tentative analysis that the Russians don't have supplies to last beyond Sunday, even if their logistics wasnt fucked. They envisaged this to be over in a week tops. That could mean Vlad might go tactically thermonuclear rather than face utter humiliation

The Russian conventional army are no threat to us. The only danger is nuclear warfare and we are far from that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"If you dissent against the ruling ideology in the USA, Russia or China you'll be treated much the same"

Utter donkey w*nk.

I invite you to perform a really simple experiment: stand in front of the White House, the Kremlin, and in Tiananmen Square - with anti-Biden, Putin and Xi posters respectively and report back.

You'll be bundled in a paddy wagon, probably beaten and investigated and perhaps worse in Moscow and Beijing - you'll end up in a conga line of like-minded people in DC and likely could ask a cop to take a photo of you if you asked nicely. To even attempt to draw that equivalency with the lived reality of millions (billions in the case of China) of those countries is an insult to the intelligence of everyone contributing to this thread.

And you're here on this thread posing and contorting as if you're not coming at it from an angle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement