Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not anymore unfortunately as I'm going to Germany tomorrow for the Nordderby on Sunday. Last minute decision since they increased the capacity to 25k a few days ago and I got tickets. Couldn't pass it up after 3 years without going over.

Hopefully the 4G/wifi on the train back from Dublin on Monday night is decent so I can watch live though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Exciting! Enjoy. Will certainly be watching out for that match report over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Don't worry about that chant Drumpot, it's just supporters having a go.

I'm sure your son enjoyed the away win. I hope he did. As a LoI fan, the bad days are more frequent than the good ones. 45 years as a Drogheda supporter has taught me that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah no, I brushed it off as a bit of banter , I just don’t like having to do this at sports events. Had to explain some stuff at other games/sports.

He may even end up a Drogs fan as we live near them. I don’t push the kids to follow who I do, but I guess they just want to watch games with their dad (which is nice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, we can’t have too many complaints really, even though we could have snatched a draw at the death. Only started playing after Sligo went 2 ahead really. Tunde took his goal very well and has certainly staked a claim for inclusion as a starter. Sooner the better Paddy Barrett is back, as we look shaky defensively. Don’t think we’d have lost that game with Barrett and Lee Desmond at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Motm performance from Kearns by all accounts. I don't see any chance of us changing style and especially not in big away games, he is who he is. Justified by the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

He was very good, made some brilliant saves.

Galway played the bulk of the second half with 10 men so you would excuse the pragmatic approach but they didn't exactly try to play football in the first half either.

Galway against Waterford next week will be some snorefest with Morris and Caulfield in charge!

Ya we always struggle to break teams down when they sit in. Your summation sounds like what I've read elsewhere on the game too.

5000 at the cross last night? Mad attendance. If they could keep 50% of them coming every week that would be great.

Reading that all the tickets for the away end in Derry last night were sold to Shamrock Rovers members which rips the "small minority of trouble makers who aren't actual fans" theory we always hear to shreds. Club members jumping on the pitch by the dozen to celebrate the equaliser with some getting into it with Graham Burke according to Dan McDonnell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Which is never acceptable and I'm not excusing it, but they haven't got a long history of doing that. It seemed to be a lot of kids and it was a 95th minute winner to open the season against the champions. I don't see it being a regular occurrence. Shamrock Rovers are the ones acting the maggot at most away games and brushing it off as acts carried out by people who aren't genuine fans when it turns out it's club members at it.

There comes a point where it needs addressing whether it's jumping on the pitch, detroying toilets, or the craic they were at a few years ago in Sligo where a group came into the pub, lit a flare and started throwing bottles around, one of which hit a man across the head. Their fans and the club can't keep ignoring this behaviour and the excuse they usually use is gone now. All the tickets last night were sold to known individuals since they are club members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What clubs fans defecated on an away fans bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thanks for owning up.

I'm assuming a few clubs were fined over the behaviour of their fans after last week. Waterford confirmed they were in a statement but I'd also imagine City and Bray were.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pitch invasions after goals are a stupid 'offence'. It's like the nonsense rules in England like not drinking alcohol within sight of the pitch. It is also a decent achievement to do it in Derry for either side given the gap between the pitch and that far stand.

A last minute loss in Derry in week 2 to a good strike is no big deal, but the manner of giving it away by Lopes' inexplicable mistake makes it feel bad. He could've done literally anything else with it but weirdly contort his body into a backpass on that pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The ' it was the pitch' again?

I would usually agree with you about pitch invasions, most tend to be harmless but the ones at the Brandywell were at a level above the ordinary I thought.

The Rovers fan who video'd himself running right up to the centre circle then back to the corner flag, then over to the Derry keeper to wind him up, before he was chased by a Rovers player kind of set the tone for the evening, along with those who encroached after the equaliser.

That behaviour gets to the opposing fans, who then couldn't wait to invade once we scored the winner. There was a lot of fans on the pitch at that point and it had the potential to turn ugly considering we have no police in the ground, only a group of stewards.

In fact one Derry idiot ran the length of the pitch to goad the Rovers support, and a couple of Rovers fans came to meet him, and one of them gave him a good few slaps before stewards were able to intervene.

Derry have enough wee scumbags now following the team, which really annoys the vast majority of our support. Had a couple of dozen of them snapped and decided to invade and head towards the Rovers end, there is next to nothing the stewards could have done to stop a major fight. It was genuinely the 1st time in many many years that I have thought that something could have gotten out of control at the Brandywell.

There has to be a far harder clamp down on pitch invasions. Most ate harmless and 99% of the guys who ran on to the pitch after we scored the winner were probably under the age of 10 or 11. It's hard to tell these youngsters not to run on to the pitch, it's like trying to hold back water, and to fine the club's is harsh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well when they get applauded and rewarded, like the girl who got Ronaldo's shirt in Lansdowne Road, it is hard to tell others that it is the wrong thing to do

Didn’t Rovers fans invade the pitch in a European match a few years ago ? Got a very lenient match offficial if I remember correctly. (He managed to see nothing )

UCD v shels delayed cause water sprinkler turned on to pitch

• Advertisement

Problem solved with the most Irish solution ever. Some lad is holding a wheelbarrow over the spray…

and then a second sprinkler turns on. This is like a benny hill sketch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Brilliant! Greatest league in the world

Could be 10 mins sprinkler injury time in shels game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Rubbish performance from us tonight. Bohs fully deserved their win.

Dull enough game at the Brandywell, probably a fair result.

Derry played well in the 1st 35min or so, Sligo better team in the 2nd. Both teams hit the cross bar.

Second half was a hard watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Could have been 3-0 up before Dundalk got their first with 2 off the line, one off the crossbar. The first goal just knocked us all over the park though

Can't say any of our new signings look like duds though, just havnt had that bit of luck so far. Better team v UCD too but can't say we created the chances in that game we did first half today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jaysus that wasn’t a pretty watch, but 4 points from 6 and 2 clean sheets away from home is not the worst at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Thought we were much improved from Friday, really tightened up at the back. We look dangerous going forward, defending will be the making or breaking of us this season. Probably should have 6 points but we'll take 4. Don't know how much of it was down to Pat's being off the pace but we controlled the game well enough.

Big test on Friday now, going up to Ballybofey and getting a big win will be a statement but more likely another poxy 1-0 to Harps and a long drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Thought we were much more solid with Doherty in the middle, really added some steel and had a good game. If Mallon can stay fit he'll be a big player for us this season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I still have little faith in our defence, Pats just couldn't take advantage.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Some clearance off the line by Macari.

Very happy with a point at the Brandywell. Dodgy opening half an hour but the defense settled after that and Derry rarely had a sniff on goal. The New Zealander (Pijnaker) we signed for replace Mahon looks like a really good player. I was worried after the Bohs game was postponed that we'd have an awful start and the buzz around Sligo would be lost, but it's certainly still there after beating Pats away on Friday and then following it up with a point in the Brandywell. Should be a big crowd on Saturday for the Dundalk match.

Looking at the highlights from the Harps game and they were desperately unlucky to go in at HT down a goal after some of the chances they missed. The new striker looks to have something about him at least. Bit more luck and he'd have had a brace.

That Byrne pass for the Shams opening goal was brilliant and then he followed it up with a fantastic goal himself. Far too good for this league.

LOITV: I like that they're showing goals from other games this season. I've noticed a lot of pubs around Sligo are advertising that they are showing our games. Can anyone confirm if LOITV has a commerical pass for stuff like that? I hope they're not paying €7 and then showing it to a few dozen people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Ya I'd have taken your hand off for 4 points before Pats and Derry away from home. We were right in the game in Derry too, so after a few p1ss poor starts the last couple of seasons things are looking up.

Personally think Byrnes exceptional at LOI ball but he's not up to it anywhere else. He doesn't have the work rate in midfield to make it at a higher level. He has the hollywood pass or the quality goal in the locker in the LOI but he wont contribute for 90 mins. Even at Cambuur, they left him on the bench for bigger games. I'm glad he's in the league as i enjoy watching him and he has that bit of magic in the locker. I think the international team has passed him by too with Mcgrath/Ronan and one or two others emerging and overtaking him. He just seems incapable of getting a good move like Georgie Kelly to Rotherham and fighting his way up the ladder.

I hope LOITV are giving the games away to pubs for nothing! Brilliant to have LOI matches in pubs over Burnley v Norwich. Should be encouraged and applauded not penalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Jack Byrne covers a huge amount of ground anytime I watch him. I prefer seeing him in the opposition half but you'll often see him dropping deep to start attacks. Maybe its different watching a player live as watching on the box.

We (Drogheda) have completely new back 5 this season and our keeper is our No 2 as our new No 1 got injured in pre-season. Our entire back five gone!

Whilst I take the point about Byrne's goal and that he should have been closed down, it was a terrific strike.

We have no points from two games but have actually played well in both. We didn't deserve to lose against Shels and were the better side for a lot of the game whilst we did well against Rovers for spells last Monday.

Individual mistakes have cost us dearly but the arrival of Sean Roughan and the return of Sam Long (I'm not sure how long he is out for) will help. With so many changes to the team, I'm not panicking yet and hope that we improve with more games.

Something out of our game v UCD on Friday is important though. Preferably three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This.

Footage never shows what you can see from the stands. He puts in a shift every time.

He was played almost as a forward/winger in the first two matches, which just doesn't suit him, but was much more central in the last match where he's at his best.

We really need a proper left footed player to play as a wing back on the left. Towards the end of last season when we had a few injuries it looked like he was going to try convert Greene to a wing back, but he's not a natural defender.

Post edited by chopperbyrne on

Unfortunately both Farugia and Kavanagh seem to have regular injury problems. At least Barry Cotter seems comfortable playing on the left.

Jimmy Brown signs a two year deal at Blackburn. Delighted for him, great lad and always gave it all for Drogheda.

• Advertisement

I hope LOITV are giving the games away to pubs for nothing! Brilliant to have LOI matches in pubs over Burnley v Norwich. Should be encouraged and applauded not penalised.

I don't see how requiring a commercial establishment to purchase a commercial license is penalising them. They're making good money selling drinks and food and can afford to pay their fair share. You're taking thousands of euros from clubs/the service otherwise.

Can't expect LOITV to give away the product and letting pubs make all the money in the hope you attract a few new fans who happen to be in there drinking at the same time.

Anyways, there is a commercal pass I've been told. No idea how much but it has been a thing since RTE were doing the games in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Need to be putting away teams like UCD is the only issue - we've a tough set of fixtures coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, defo would have wanted to win. But if we can win our home games against those sorts of teams, then a draw away from home won’t be the end of the world for what we need.

Based on the performance I won’t be expecting too much from the Derry game on Friday anyway, unless we take huge steps forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It is unfortunate in that both are quality players when fit, but also a huge gamble going into the season with the two of them as your wing backs. They are made of glass unfortunately, if they could stay fit I would guess they'd be playing abroad. Cotter has been a really good signing considering he was signed when the window was closed as a backup initially, can cover a lot of positions to a decent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I haven't seen any confirmation yet but from what I believe it is a hamstring injury but to the opposite one that he had issues with for the last couple of seasons. Hopefully he is back soon as he played well against Pats and the half against UCD

From RTE sport previewing tonights game...

The Hoops do have some injury problems.

Chris McCann is doubtful. Sean Kavanagh and Neil Farrugia are still a week away from fitness.

• Advertisement

Great win for Pats. Forrester of all people heading home from a corner.

Mandroiu did not seem happy at all to be subbed off before the 60th minute.

Comfortable enough win for Drogheda tonight.

Sean Roughan made his first start and kept Colin Whelan very quiet.

Super goals from Gary Deegan and Chris Lyons are worth watching on LoItv.

UCD keeper will be disappointed with the goals. Their blonde CB did well but Drogheda controlled the game reasonably comfortably.

It was an important 3 points for us. UCD are game but will struggle as they were bullied a bit by our more experienced players.

Just glad that we're off the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Delighted with the win. Hard work and a solid backline won that for us. Forrester also had a fantastic performance. Rovers were good enough in the first half and Byrne dictated the play but he went deeper and deeper as the game went on but he became less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Derry beat Shels 1-0. Game looked destined for a 0-0 draw until a goalkeeping error gifted Derry a goal. Derry looked comfortable for the most part but didn't create much. The goal was the only save Webb had to make and didn't. Shels improved from Monday night but didn't look like scoring. Duff played three in the middle which seemed to work well. Dervin, McManus and Wilson probably our best performers on the night. Kane got down the line on the other side a couple of times. Moylan went off injured, hopefully not too serious.

Crazy game in Terryland tonight. Waterford absolutely dominated us in the first half and thoroughly deserved their lead. Then we came out like men possessed second half while they tried to sit in, we scored and then they had no legs to get back into it. Two super saves from Murphy kept them in it and then they'd a player sent off with 5 left. Waterford lads spent about 3 and a half of the 5 minutes injury time on the ground but the ref still only played the 5!

Junior and Wordsworth ran the show first half. We couldn't get near them. Second half McCormack and Hurley drove us forward and Stephen Walsh (lb/CB) came on up front and scored. Waterford looked shattered from about 60/65 onwards.

Very entertaining game but questions to be answered for both sides.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement