Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Samsung is ceasing exports to Russia

Also, they are donating 6 million and 1 million worth of goods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Wagner group were also in Syria where they suffered heavily in their encounters with U.S. forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Twas the stare - many a covid denier can testify to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭Talisman

Imagine Filatov's reaction if something like this happened at the embassy in Dublin. I'm thinking the David McCullagh interview looped might just push him over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fair play to her and the camera man - said a few days ago, so much Russian money in London...Johnson gives with one hand and takes with another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You "don't know"?

That's certainly not what you say in that same comment

"Be realistic - what is more likely? Russian "hit squads" dropped behind Ukrainian lines? Or panicked, ill-disciplined civilians with guns shooting at cars they don't recognise in an environment where they are terrified of Russian "saboteurs"?"

I think you can drop the pretence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You seem to be permanently banging the same pro putin drum.

What's your point? That you reckon Putin was right to invade, bomb the **** out of and ethnically cleanse an entire nation because of a relatively small number of far right interests? Germany has similar far right groups, England has far right groups, even goddamn Russia has some far right groups even working for Putin on his Soviet era fantasies of recreating the USSR.

https://en.respublica.lt/signs-of-neo-nazi-ideology-amongst-russian-mercenaries

You like videos? Here is a video of far right elements in Russia - these ones differ from the Wagner group only in they don't seem to be fans of Putin. Maybe he should go after them first before using the existence of far right groups elsewhere as an excuse for attacking others

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Just read a story involving a Russian professor who was close to putin reckons he and his family are hunkered down in a bunker. Deep in the siberian mountains ..he describes it as a smalll sprawling city built 10 years ago ..to withstand a nuclear fall out...it doesn't sound good..has putin decided what the outcome of the Ukraine invasion. Will be .chilling

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

You probably are one..considering the language you use

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The US has a Nazi problem you say.

One of the largest Nazi groups in America has 500 members, in a country of 330 million.

Is the problem for you that there are so very few?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Warmonger Putin has had a new table delivered to the Kremlin. Like the previous one it's also long, but more conducive for negotiations a spokesperson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,606 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There are hundreds (~450 as of 2017, which by all accounts rose sharply after Trump took over) of disclosed white supremacist groups, which each have hundreds of members, and then of course there's all the undisclosed groups.

Also particularly interesting that you picked out that one line of the chaps post, completely ignoring the actual point of the post itself. Comes across like you didn't want to deal with the actual content of the post, so instead picked whatever you could to deflect with.

I may as well re-add it here; "Right now the invasion is a far far far bigger issue. When Russian troops leave the Ukraine entirely it can get discussed. Till then no one actually gives a f and this is just an attempted distraction from Russia invading."

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The number is still so small as to be negligible.

Always one bus crash away from decimation.

There was not much content in the post, hyperbole and panic.

Russian forces are going through a meat grinder now, still unable to take small cities like Sumy.

He is using classic Putin bot distraction and disinformation, trying to big up Russia and smear others.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Young Russian soldiers are being massacred in droves. Mariupol is now a tragedy on both sides. Russians refusing to enter urban areas as the soldiers are mere cannon fodder.

Lukashenko now coming under extreme pressure from inside, from pro independence and possible incursion by Ukrainian forces.

Putin cannot be ousted in a political coup. It will have to be military with the support of the oligarchy. Oligarchy unhappy with sanctions and progress in a war which will become more expensive due to corrupt military spending.

Civil unrest will soon erupt in Russia. Mothers not hearing from Russian soldiers, Putin can't hide the exchange rate, no facebook, no twitter, harsh policies on protests.

If curbs/sanctions are put on oil and gas the net will close in. Military will put him on a one way ticket to The Hague (in flight meal - paltry cyanide pill - more than what young Russian soldiers are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

This Russian war is very quickly running out of steam and completely exhausted. Kharkiv, Mariupol and Sumy still in Ukrainian hands.

The massive negative is the Ukrainians only fight defensively. To end this war they will need to learn to attack Russian held areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

OP is well-intentioned but irrational, and either doesn't know the principle & purpose of NATO or refuses to understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair I don't think they have any choice but to fight defensively now and for who knows how long. The longer they hold out and inflict serious damage on the Russians the better as it also allows more time for more arms and weapons to arrive and get to the right places. The next few days look scary though for the Ukrainians as it looks like the Russians are more and more each day looking to just bomb and level Ukraine's cities. How and or in what shape will the Ukrainian military and resistance be after that will be telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I find it hard to believe what's going on won't filter down to people in Russia. There's millions of Russians living abroad that can relay what's going on. Russia isn't North Korea.

Also, going after the Oligarchy money from the start was an incredibly smart move.

I see Lukoil are calling for an end to the war.

Pressure is building on Putin. A long drawn out war won't cut the mustard this time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

People seem to be forgetting that they can ignore anyone claiming to be pro-russia or pro-putin. Anyway, they are not pro anything, for God's sake.

They are all basically bored keyboard Simps, working normal jobs in a normal part of the Country with limited experience of the world around them. They're not influential, they do not have any connection, either politically or economically to Russia nor have never set foot on Russian soil. The people you are wasting your time arguing with probably spend most of their free time reading obtuse articles, live at home with their Mums or by themselves ( they definitely do not have a family or kids) and either work in Aldi or in a lower paid Civi Service job, like a Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I suppose the more pertinent questions are:

• Will the majority of ordinary Russian people believe what they're being told by people who aren't living in Russia and potentially haven't lived in Russia for some time?
    • Assuming they even believe what they're being told: will they care, and will they actually object to Russia's actions to a significant degree?
    • Assuming they actually object significantly to Russia's actions: will they actually do anything about it?
    • Assuming they actually do something about it: what impact will their actions actually have on the massive authoritarian apparatus of the Russian government?

I'm not sure anyone really knows the answers to any of those questions; other than to say that an extremely small and insignificant portion of the population has engaged in relatively peaceful demonstrations against the war and ended up in jail for their troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Putins curren whereabouts has me concerned, with a slight pinch of optimism. If true, that he is hiding out in the Altai Mountains, then it seems that he is preparing for the worst.

To give you some perspective, the area he is said to be currently residing in is called Altayskoye Podvorie. This is a small resort-like area right in the foothills of the mountain. They key thing here is how far he is from Moscow.

Putin is over 4000km from his centre of operations! It takes hours to fly there or 55 days if you're driving. I

It's in an area that would be extreme well protected, whatever the weather conditions, should there be Nuclear fallout and you can bet that his bunker is built similar to NORAD in the US.

However, this also means that whomever he left behind is running the show. I hope the US et Al are discussing means and ways to connect with these surrogates behind Putins Back, so to speak. It would be a good exercise to monitor any flights operating to or from the nearest airport to Putins granny flat over the coming days.

Here's a few pics to put it into perspective. He couldn't get further away from the theatre of operations. Christ Russia is vast...

I think it's clear the invasion hasn't gone exactly as the Russian's planned it; nor has it gone the way many analysts seemed to think it would.

However I think it's unrealistic to expect that once they have shored up their supply lines and consolidated their positions in Ukraine that they can't exert huge pressure on Ukraine's populace both militarily and economically.

How long will Kyiv, a city of around 2.5 million people, be willing and able to hold out against complete isolation from the outside world and sustained bombardment by munitions which are so heinous they're banned by the Geneva convention?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

In the south of Ukraine the Russians seem to be heading towards Odesa and Rybnyy Port ( contains large quanties of oil and grain)

Once they have captured all of Southern Ukraine, the will head North to close all of Ukraines Westerly borders to the outside World.

This might be their tactic to stop and Arms or Aid coming into Ukraine

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I think that's an important point to make..a lot of people this week feigning shock at this war.Putin has form as history shows,he is battle hardy and is no novice to war.

They don't need to close the borders; and they don't really have the personnel or equipment to do so anyway.

They'll likely just surround cities and larger suburban areas to make sure nothing can get in or out and just try to pound and starve them into submission. Russia has form for this during the Second Chechen War and the Battle of Grozny. Granted Kyiv is significantly larger than Grozny but I think even just the possibility of another Grozny will be enough to force Ukraine to capitulate long before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The Ukranians need this guy fast. He will take out the whole Russian army with his advanced weapons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement