Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Lambing taking a turn for the worse today 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Had a lamb born today - smaller of a twin.

His bottom jaw/lip is back a bit further than the top. Just wondering what do you call this condition and what is the prognosis for him regarding his ability to suck. So far I've given him a few bottles of beastings as he seems hungry.

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

overshot,

unless it's very bad he'll manage away, might be advisable to introduce creep early and finish him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Bought a tonne of 20% Protein Ewe and Lambs nuts loose for 385 euro a fortnight ago......but heard its going up again in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

It never rains but it poor when things go wrong at lambing time.....was the second pictured lamb born indoors or outdoors?....have had grey crows pull out intestines at the navel at times here when ewes lambing outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

She was indoors, was grand. Milked the ewe and fed her straight away after being born and I'd say the ewe just bit off the navel while she was licking her. Got vet out and he put it back and stitched her up against his will because he wanted to put her down. Was sucking the ewe herself this evening so time will tell. He said she won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Had one similar to that a few years ago, Umbilical Hernia, vet stitched him up but unfortunately he died a few days later. Hope yours fairs out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea, I believe that once the intestines get contminated by the dirt it's impossible to save them, but there's always exceptions to the rule

• Advertisement

It's not too bad but I'm wondering is there something else wrong with him also as he's not very good to suck the bottle at all. It's not for the want of trying mind as he's sucking like mad but gets it very hard to actually suck the milk out. (teat opening not an issue) I'm wondering if there could be possibly something wrong with the brain or something. Even when I take the bottle away from him he continues with the suckling motion for a small while which seems strange.

He's able to stand up and walk no problem so bit confused as never came across this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

With feet prices going through the roof and a predicted global shortage of cereals (mainly wheat).

What steps could us sheep farmers make to help ease the impact on ourselves and on society in general.

I can't see the price of lamb increasing in line with costs as lamb is an expensive cut of meat as it is.

If price of food rockets, people will be forced to buy cheaper food stuffs.

Could the humble sound become a staple of Irish diet once again???

There won't be any cheaper foodstuff, grain prices will make chicken and pork a lot more expensive. Rocketing labour and fuel prices will make vegetables more expensive.

Sheep farming would be more environmentally friendly than most enterprises, you could grow root crops such as typhon,redstart etc to be less reliant on cereals for lamb finishing and winter feed.

I've a couple of acres, rented ground, that needs seeding. Apart from putting in a good clover mix is there anything else I should be looking to plant in this. I'm taking an extra 7 acres but it was ploughed last year. Only getting it from this week.

Part of the deal was that I'd reseed it so can't really sub let it for someone else to plant s crop in.

The extra grass will be very welcome this year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Might be worth looking into multi-species.

I don’t really know anything about it, but as you need to reseed anyways I think it’s worth a look.

Anyone here have sheep on multi-species swards?

EDIT - few links below, am sure you would have got em yourself but I just looked it while having breakfast there…

https://www.ucd.ie/lyonsfarm/research/researcharticles/grazingmultispeciesswardsimproveseweandlambperformance/

Post edited by Dinzee Conlee on

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Well folks ! Just looking for advice here . I had a ewe that prolapsed quite badly here yesterday and had been shoving for a long time that she had actually put out some of her anus also . I stuck a prolapse spoon up her and that’s holding her uterus..but her anus is still slightly prolapsed .. she isn’t pushing anymore and is getting antibiotics and pain relief. Wondering what can I do about the anus situation? Will it go back in itself in a few days time ? It’s only barely sticking out ? Thanks in advance to any advice ! She’s 2 weeks away from lambing

I always advise the prolapse harness, if you look at the picture in this ad you can see that it holds in the whole backside. I don't agree with the spoon as it irritates them and makes them force, but in bad cases it's needed until they settle down,

Try a harness and put it on tight, take the spoon out after a couple days

https://www.acravet.ie/prolapse-nylon-harness-for-sheep-ewespoon-101110002

Thanks dinzee, now getting time with lambing ready to start🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Do you not put in the spoon and then the harness over?.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Have attached a label from the feed i am feeding ewes that are 4 weeks out from lambing. Can anyone advise if it is a good feed with the right ingredients and percentages, especially in relation to soya what i hear alot about

• Advertisement

I use the harness first and it usually works on its own, if the harness is on right it seems to stop them forcing. I would only use the spoon as well in a minority of cases. Even the ewe that put out the whole lamb bed after lambing last week only had the spoon in overnight. The harness was enough after.

The higher up he soya the better, grennans 20% ration has soya first on the list,

I also like to see oats in a sheep ration

Any tips on getting a ewe back on her feet? She went on her back a couple of nights ago, the bad night of course and I thought she was done for the next day, don't know how the crows didn't spot her.

Gave her some chanatol and water by dosing gun and she had picked up and was eating a bit of hay, grass and ration by the next evening. I'm shifting her position in the little pen a few times a day and she's still eating and making dung but can only stand for less than a minute supported.

Her dung is gone a little rancid smelling too, I think I'll try to get a probiotic from the vet tomorrow. Probably the abrupt change in diet that's done that.

I have a fish box that I'm going to doctor tomorrow and suspend it from the roof enough that I can put her in it and let her legs contact the floor for a while to see if that might help get her going but I'm a little concerned I might put her on the downhill again.

Did you give her ivy,

Some sort of a sling is a good idea, kinda physio for her paralysis.

Yeah that's what I was thinking with the fish box, though a bit of a trawl net might be better. I haven't given her ivy yet no because she was eating hay, ration, pulled grass OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Have used a small bale in the past, put em over it…

ivy is a good call, and would cut a bit of grass and put it front of them, see if they pick at it…

Went with the bale this morning as the simplest option first, she's making an attempt, it'll be a slow process.

She's able to stand for a good bit longer now, up to ten minutes. She can't yet get up on her own. Tried a very ambitious kick scratch with the back leg this morning and didn't fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Well folks quick one for yous . I have a single bearing ewe that slipped her lamb today, I say she’s a good week early since lamb wasn’t the biggest and she has a small elder but has a little bit of milk . Just wonder if I was to give her a good bit of meal and draw abit of milk out of her every day till the weekend could I foster a lamb onto her end of the week ? .. ewes are due to start Lambing end of the week . Should have a triplet lamb to put on her by Saturday I’d say .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Tileman

It would be hard to foster a lamb onto her after 24 hours. The hormones goes off them and they kind of know it’s not their lamb and will be very hard to get them to take to it.

Advertisement