Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

Talking to a man Thursday night that works in a fertilizer production plant, he was telling me fertilizer is now gone so expensive the last few days that they won’t be importing any more for the year as if the price drops back they will be left with a yard full of expensive fertilizer, he said they have enough in there yard till probably mid April but when that’s gone that’s it he said, and this is a big company he works for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Don’t know …they wouldn’t be light users of fertiliser …feed yes but environmental regulations are at long last are catching up with them …things like slurry storage and silage pits on proper concrete slabs ….not out in a field etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Horse in the milk, might never see mid 40s prices again.. 18 nut gone to 400 with arrabawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,607 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There’s liffeys and Roches feeds locally Kev …400 is mad but feed all going to take a fair jump now due to Ukraine situation …fixed here till end March …nearly afraid to ask after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Everything down here close to or over the 400, whats in the mixes ye are feeding for 307?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

From now on everybody will have to watch marginal production. They will need to look at the effect of reduction and expansion on profitability.

If present trends continue lads that have land rented will really have to do the figures. Nitrogen is 2.2 times the five year average, P&K about 1.5-1.8 times. If N goes another 200/ ton it will be 2.5 times the five year average. The fallout from this conflict could be N fertlizer at 5-700/ ton longterm.

If the new GLAS pays what it says it would for MSS I will definately do it. I would even consider it at present. It's an actual no brainer. John Heney made a good point in last year's FI. D pastures are capable of 7-8t DM/ HA with virtually no N compared to PR 12-14T at maybe needing 800 kgs urea and 400 of CAN.

The N cost at present prices would be well over1k euro. Maybe a 6-700 euro difference. While milk can carry that cost, I do not think beef can.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Will you full reseed or stitch? What you thinking on the silage ground?

Silage ground will remain grass at present. I have most of the farm reseeded and these awards are very open. Si I will try these first.

Will see how these go before old permanent swards

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭straight

Last I heard of NZ, they were feeding on average 1 ton of meal and only delivering 380 kgMS. It's not somewhere I would like to be myself. Too many cows and not enough milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Im in milk, it can pay for it at this years milk price, I’d it drops it’s a different story

weve no idle land here, we’re paying for every acre we’re farming so everything is working to its max and no room for mediocre production

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

With the health warning the weather plays ball and we don't get a 2018 type event, all bets would be off then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gouldings have withdrawn their price lists, can't get quotes off their own suppliers.

Its the length of time things continue will be the catch. One year may be manageable but after that who knows the price the farmer is paid will always drop before everything else so that must be kept on mind too for that period when sales won't cover output...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Has anybody done the figures on whether inflation in output has come close to matching the inflation in our inputs.?

Haven't had a minute the last few months but just tested positive for bloody covid so might get a chance to look at the figures this week and get my head around a few scenarios for the year.

That's the big fear, a fodder shortage next winter if weather goes against us a distinct possibility..I'm not going to sacrifice silage this year if I can help it at all, nothing as stressful as the year going around the country in April begging for silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was thinking the same...fellas will think twice about calling the contractor in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Don't a full rundown here 3 weeks ago, just to make sure things where stacking up, they where provided no more potholes came about and their was a healthy enough margin of circa 7cpl after all costs where factored in excluding labour, with meal costs and fuel/electricity costs escalating at a frightening pace (this year's fertilizer is in the yard here) unless co-ops return a base price of 45 plus cent as a average for the year as a minimum, and the weather plays ball, will be lucky to break-even.....

Pretty sure will be cutting numbers back by 30 odd % for 2023, will milk planned numbers through 2022 and will fatten up empties and problem cows for the hook for march/April 23,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

There was a letter from the department about the new cap payments in 23. Is this some type of reference year for organic nitrogen? I must read it again. If I cut back this year will it mean I will have to reduce my fertilizer amount next year

It's looking like it will play right into the greens hands so. I can't really cut things a whole lot more here I'm lowly stocked on overall farm ,milking oad so upping output not an option.

I have good few heifers coming on next year so bottom 20/25% of the herd will be up the ramp in September/ October.

You would think a lot of suckler cows and poor performing dairy cows will be culled after this year and it may be a bit of a drag on beef prices.

But who knows what way lads might be thinking

In fairness to contractors too some risk in doing work this year and maybe not getting paid for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Impress me with what you know. 🙃

Paddocks have been grazed already in jan/feb.

No nitrogen so far. Got 2,600 gallons of slurry before grazing alright, gypsum and gran lime end of last year.

First spray of minerals of the year. No fert yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Good land though.

No it is not. What will happen is this year's stock numbers will decide the amount N you are allowed if you opt for N limits for a target in the new eco scheme

Slava Ukrainii

I bought the last of my fertlizer requirements this morning I had 50% bought end of January I bought 3T of urea, half of it protected urea and 2T 18-6-12. Nearly 8.5k spend on fertlizer this year. Over double what I spend last year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Sure that’s there every year, which is why we have a reserve of silage in the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

I bought the last of mine this morning too..well most of it paid for in last few weeks. Don't know if it will do me especially if we get drought that we had over the last few years.

Say my name.. very impressed with your input...I know I farm conventional but I would be open to change. Your land is similar to mine and like yours mine was grazed with sheep in January and February but no growth like yours. Mine still have good covers but as I said not as good as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I will say this if you are starting down that route. Start with calcified seaweed as the base and then foliar after.

And I'm using no dissolved urea but you have to play what's in front of you and use your judgement.

But it's hearing dawg using the gypsum. You take the advice where you can.

I've even thrown white lime in the mix and you'd see a difference too.

Even that slurry I added compost into the slurry before agitation and spreading.

But it's all with an eye to seeing if I can go organic and keep the stocking rates. And even if I miss the target I'm future proofing myself against any possible future developments.

It's taken me four years to get here. Every year did get a little bit better though.

And another with the cows you're not grazing to the floor like conventional farmers need to. With pure npk fert the need is there to floor it but with this a bit left means it grows back faster and you're never worried about a wig of grass being rejected and the topper brought out. As the N is not really in the grass proper or it's a different type of N. They'll still floor it if you want without affecting performance or roaring at you over the gate. But a bit left means it's available to take more foliar in faster and grow back faster. ..I'm hardly able to make sense of any of that myself now. It's different is all and takes years.

And now I've jinxed myself in my work..😃

Everyone figures out their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭straight

If there is any silver lining to the sh1t that is going on its that the environmental fundamentalists have been bumped off the front pages and headline news and it is hurting them.

Gibbons reckons the war is only affecting a tiny amount of people compared to global warming or whatever they call it now

Advertisement