Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import a motorcycle from EU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Not much help but I just bought I'm Eindhoven and am collecting this weekend. It's too cold to collect the other I bought in Poland.

I need help

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Haha nice one, what did you get this time?

What sites did you use to find it?

I'm thinking of selling my bike this summer and picking up something in Europe so always interested to hear everyone's experiences,

Are you riding it back?

I bought an old 600f2. Just to keep me going til tge weather gets better. It makes no sense just the flight was €8 and ferries were buttons too.

I'm on garden leave from work so I've time on my hands which leads to this kind of mischief

That's what I've agreed a deal on but I have backups.

And I just used Facebook marketplace. I was pints deep when doing this and herself is going to stab me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't think many people appreciate that (say) in Germany, older bikes never depreciate as much as they do here. They do go down to a 'level', and then just sit there. Here it'd keep going 'til it hit the floor.

I'd not have much qualms buying privately in either NL or Germany as I've done it & know the drill: buying privately in Italy or France i don't know about. I do like the 'comfort' of dealing with a shop though.

I think the key thing here is you go abroad more for choice (and condition of) bikes, not necessarily the price.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks, you're right, I'm looking abroad because the bike in question would be less available here... and theres more choice abroad...

One other question... when using someone to transport the bike, do you have to pay for the bike in full in advance? Money doesn't transfer straight away between international accounts... so how do you manage the transactions?

Post edited by Bluefoam on

Yes, you have to pay in full, in advance.

As I was dealing with a shop (which is a franchised dealer), I just sent it by Bank Transfer. I sent my payment on a Monday iirc, and was collecting it the following Saturday morning.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I just brought one in last week. Dutch reg, the dealer deregistered it, I got a sheet with a small credit card vehicle document and I bring it to the VRT office and pay them on the spot.

You should factor in the de-reg time as well, the RDW will take the old plate when de-reg and you can make up a temporary one yourself with an export number.

Private sellers may not always want to do export, some will some won't. There are plenty of scammers there as well.

Jarvis transport delivered it. No hassles great company

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - do you still need to do a 'de-reg' if you are getting is transported? Is the process different for say Germany (or France) and does Jarvis know about these details?

thanks

Jarvis is well acquainted with all the paperwork necessary. A shop will not let the bike go without dereg and a private individual will definitely not. It’s the equivalent of selling a car in your name but not signing over the logbook. They would be on the hook for anything that happened. Germany is the same and a similar process. I don’t know about France . I believe it to be more convoluted and bureaucratic but maybe it’s just hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Debub

thanks for that - and how do you do a 'de-reg'? is it similar to taking over the Reg Cert here after putting your name on it? In the UK you need the V5 for the car along with you fior VRT purposes

They dereg it, put on a temporary export reg number, and your NL document matches the new temporary reg. Temp reg is good for 2 weeks.

I rode mine back (end of October).

Hand over NL docs as normal at VRT office, get Irish reg. Simples.

Another +1 here from me for Jarvis: I used him to export a car to Vienna, all went perfectly.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Does anyone know how it works for buying a new bike from Europe? Looking to buy in Germany. Am I correct in saying that I only have to pay VAT here in Ireland?

...and VRT and transport... It would (most likely) cost allot more than buying here, plus your warranty will be more difficult to manage. Is the bike not available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Ducati dealership here didn't seem interested in making a sale at all, perhaps because they didn't have the particular model I wanted in stock. So my decision to buy in Germany not soley based on price.

That's a shame, I'm no expert, but my comment above still applies, it would probably be expensive. Is there someone else in the dealership you can deal with or possibly use the Northern Ireland dealer? Not sure if the can sell new bikes into the south or not...

• Advertisement

I bought this in Eindhoven today. Going to RDW tomorrow with the seller to complete the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Technically, you should be able to buy the bike without German VAT (MwSt), but only if its shipped on a pallet/crate etc, by a shipping company.

If it's to be ridden away, you'll haven't pay German VAT and then reclaim it once you pay Irish VAT, here.

Some dealers don't want the hassle of the VAT refund, so check that first.

Warranty will be a bit of a gamble though, and even the first service (@1k kms)

Ultimately it will cost you more, but like you say, there are other things at play.

Ode To The Motorist

Deposit paid this morning, contracts signed and returned and arrangements made with transport co... It's a very scary process, but looking forward to having the bike at the end of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭geotrig

what did you buy ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭geotrig

👍️ cool

Just docking in Dublin now, VRT booked for 9am... some few days :)

Outside the local

(Excuse the chain, it wasn't going in my backpack)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Nice one, how did you find the journey back on that kind of bike?

It was fine to be honest. Only 475kms over 2 days.

VRT done now too. **** 120 plate though.

All in all I spent about 1400, that's travel and hotels included. No way I'd get a clean '87 CBR600 for that in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silver Cauldrons

plan to buy a bike from autoscout in September a Buell XB 1200 , any recommendations on a courier service that possibly picks up in Italy (Palermo)?

Do all of the NCT centres do VRT & registration? What's the process like? Do I need to book it in in advance?

• Advertisement

Not all NCT centres do it. You need to book in advance.

The NCTS website has a section devoted to VRT and they answer all your questions on that part.

Its not hard but as with all bureaucratic processes make sure all the paperwork is correct before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd try get that registered as Multi-coloured. Makes it so much easier if you ever want/need to change body panels.

Jarvis Transport, Dublin

Can I point out one thing: make sure the NCT centre fill in ALL the required boxes - including Type Approval Number, Weight, Power (Kw) and Power:Weight Ratio (Kw/kg) boxes. Mightn't be an issue for you now, but if you ever sell or trade it, in can affect who can buy it as licences etc all tied into it. Lots of people out there with A2 licences etc.

Just went through this with my new bike and ended up getting VRO in Rosslare to correct it. Do not assume VRT office will see this info, they're not used to it being asked for it.

Make sure to scan/copy ALL of the paperwork you give to VRT office, before you hand it in, and have the VRT form filled in before you get there.

Here are the 4 fields that should be completed: G, K, P2, Q. All of this info is very clearly marked on the NL Kenteken card/documents.

I note even after 2 attempts, G is missing on mine, but the other 3 are more important

'Inaccurate' VLC to L.H.S, amended VLC to RHS

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abmoto

Anyone here who may have bought from these chaps? https://superbikefactory.co.uk/

Looks like quite a collection. Will it attract duty?

You'll be paying 10% Customs, VRT, 23% VAT, plus fees and transport costs.

Oh, and Sterling.

Cant see the UK being competitive at all tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diffens

so basically

Buy bike, Jarvis Transport, VRT appointment, pay VRT on the day. when do you get a new licence plate ?

You get the number once you pay the vrt office. You can get plate made anywhere you desire

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diffens

thanks CJhaughey , i will be buying a 1200cc Buell XB12 , what sort of VRT will i be paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Heard some bad stories from there over the years.

My bike just arrived. Jarvis were sound and the bike was immaculate when I got here.

Theres an added bonus, that the bike has a centre stand which is not normal for this model, but it also has some sort of alarm that I wasn't expecting... Does anyone recognise it? Do I have to do anything in terms of operating it? It's shown in the image below with the three amber lights... Centre light blinks when the bike is off & there's a cap that reveals a connector of some sort...

We'll wear bluefoam.

Can't help with the alarm but give us a few better pics of that Guzzi!!

She's put away for the evening but here's some I got earlier...

Nice!

I always get a little niggle to buy a Guzzi.

Maybe someday.

Looks Fab

Well done :-) Ride safe

J

• Advertisement

That's not an alarm, Thats a Ctek pigtail for a charger to connect to. If its flashing yellow its time to charge your battery 12.4v-12.65v.

Green is fully charged and Red is below 12.4v

Thanks! I've had a look at chragers online & might order one...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abmoto

Looks great. The more I see these, I feel EU import is the best way to find clean pieces.

I've my trip to collect the Blade organised. Fly to Poznan on April 20th, collect the bike that day but stay there for the night, next day to Hanover, stay there for the night. Long day then to Rotterdam, overnight ferry to Hull, drive to Liverpool (turns out I'm there for the Merseyside derby) stay for the night then ferry the following night to Dublin from there.

Flights, ferries and hotel coming in at €470. And I've a few days of riding in Europe

• Advertisement
Advertisement