Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian build up along Ukraine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Irish weapons are not going to be sent, clearly.

However, the incongruity of that position with the reality of 'there but for the Grace of God goes any smaller independent State', is all excellent fodder for the debate on Ireland's defence policy that must now happen.

I should be very interested in any Sunday paper opinion poll over the next few weeks on the topic. I suspect the preaching of RBB and Mick Wallace and the like is totally and utterly out of step with the silent majority of this Country, who would gladly put our entire Army fleet on some Ferries and send the lot to Odessa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

Yeah, they aren't being sent. But as you say it might be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks might go, and given the commitment of Coveney to bring something forward in regards to the Commissions Report it will be interesting to see how this will play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

We are asked to take in 20,000 refugees.

How many we ultimately take in will depend on different factors, but we should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

One of the PC-12's is over in Poland near the Ukrainian border. Delivering weapons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Medical supplies more likely...and probably badly needed.

I doubt the government even knows at this stage, likely it will be more like a volunteer solution. Just look at what Moldova and Poland are doing.

Taking off from Rzeszow now, wonder was it a collection of some of the infants and family?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Shes back in the air. Not sure where shes heading.

• Advertisement

Coming into the same airport behind her is the Luxembourg A400… But yeah small nations can’t fund equipment..

That's the spirit...Anything constructive to add to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think we should sell any surplus military equipment to maybe Poland for maybe a euro. What they do with them afterwards is none of our business.

P.S. we shod be sure there is Ukraine language instructions in the boxes.

Slava Ukrainii

Now now, talk like that makes Eamon wake up unhappy...

So keep going.

Not directly related, but in the same neighbourhood, a Romanian AF Mig-21 Lancer has gone down near the Black Sea coast of that Country and very sadly a search helicopter on the trail of the plane, a Puma, has also crashed with the loss of all 7 aboard.

No word on the pilot of the Mig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

From the FR24 thread. Its carrying back an Irish couples surrogate baby.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FWIW, sodium iodide is a stable, simple salt. It only has to be kept dry, it doesn't decompose or degrade or become less effective. But everything that is "food" or "medicine" has to have an expiry date. I'm surprised bricks don't have expiry dates on them these days...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

Most of Ukraine East of Odessa is in Ru hands or control. The next Ru move is to take ODESSA Ukraine's main import/export harbour. There are Russian troop carriers offshore ready for beach landings to augment any attack from Crimea direction. It beats me that the leader of the free world has remained mostly silent and not issued some redline warnings to Putin, including denying Passage through the Bosporus and preempting landings from the sea.

The Tanaiste has implied that our Defence Forces are to be made more fit for purpose by upgrading. I believe we may need expert guidance to achieve the Training, Skills, and Weapon levels required for Defence and participation on joint exercises and EU required tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of Ukraine East of Odessa is in Ru hands or control.

I stopped reading there.

No it isn't. Map as of 2100Z last night:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

The US along with the rest of NATO have been clear, they are not going to get into a direct confrontation with Russia. Moreover it's not anything to do with the US in regards to the Bosporus, Turkey has legal responsibility for that and has already moved to block non Black Sea ships from entering the Black Sea, however they can do nothing about ships already there or permanently based in the Black Sea. And sending any NATO surface force into the Black Sea is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ukraine will get arms and support from the West, the West is not getting involved directly.

I'm not sure what our DF upgrade has to do with your initial point Ancient mariner.

It was already on the cards anyway due to a change in the prevailing winds of geopolitics, and out of the consequent CoD report, but obviously the Russian military assault on a sovereign State has thrown a spotlight on the need to be able to at least mind our own patch of grass and water adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Turkey controls the Bosporus, Not the USA. They have closed it to all warships. Whats in is in. They were prevented from acting earlier due to a clause that allows warships to navigate the passage when returning to their home port. For now though nobody else is getting in or out.

Technically they were prevented as they have to declare it a war first I think before they close it, the Turks are rather careful how they act with that treaty. And I think ships can leave it’s just not allowing ships in.

Directly East of Odessa is Crimea , Mariupol, and the areas seized in 2014. All in RU control. To control access to Odessa harbour is the next obvious Ru objective, especially with troop ships offshore. I didn't say most of Ukraine, just the portion east of Odessa. My other point is that while Turkey has put some controls on the Bosporos it doesn't seem to be at the advice of the US, who seem very tardy and dragging behind EU action such as closing airspaces a week after everyone else. We need leadership from those capable of the biggest response. The US State seem silent and leaving the initiative to Political and Defence organisations in Europe. Are we on our own?

Of course Odessa is a critical aim for their advance, it's the largest port Ukraine has, and near it is the only dock capable of fixing their rustbucket of a carrier after they sank their floating dock under him a few years ago, not too mention the likely aim of a total land connection to the rebel area so that he can threaten Moldova long term. And no Turkey doesn't operate on "the advice of the US" in terms of the Straits, the US isn't involved in the Treaty and Turkey is an independent nation (which has a mixed relationship with both the US and Russia). As to who is what in this mess, there's plenty of people to point to. The US and UK were far ahead of Europe in arming and training the Ukrainian military for example, while most of Europe didn't want to risk the energy issues, in the last week the EU has become much more aggressive, but in doing so is basically making things up as it goes.

And we are on our own, we always have been due to a variety of reasons most of which I don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

In Slovakia it is now compulsory that they take the people into their home

Well they and the Czechs have a good memory of what Russia did to them during 1968 so that could be driving a willingness to provide such shelter, but I'm not sure what your point is? Every EU nation that takes in Ukrainian refugees will do their own thing in their own way?

When Ukraine's sea coast in the Black Sea is under RU control. it will mean loss of ability to use Port facilities for major cargoes in and out of Ukraine. It will also cause demise of their navy, and loss of control of their seas. Whatever happens in a future Peace Time must include a full restoration of Ukraine's original territory.

• Advertisement

That’s unlikely to happen, Russia won’t give up Crimea no matter what, and is likely to push very hard to maintain a full land connection to it. As for the Ukrainian Navy, the only significant surface vessel they had has already been scuttled to prevent her capture.

Advertisement