Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone got a source for a cheap Eddi? 480 is the cheapest I've seen online.

Got an immersion switch put in today and connected to my cylinder and my tado.

Next step is a diverter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You had 5kWp+ and a 5kWh battery done for under €6k net?

That's a bit high. Even taking into account the loss of the battery grant you'd be aiming for €7k to €7.5k.

Go back and haggle though, if you can bring the price down then all good, otherwise keep shopping.

MOD NOTE

Sorry but pet hate of mine, but when posting quotes please include the panel wattage, or even better the total size. "15 panels" doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things as that could be anywhere from 4.5kWh to 6kWh.

Also please state if the price you're listing is net of grant and if not, whether or not you're eligible for he grant.

As I say just little niggles of mine, but it does make it easier to see at a glance whether the quote is good value or not without having to either guess what size panel you're getting, or multiply 15 by 340w etc in your head first and then wonder if the figure is with or without the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Well guys install complete and v happy indeed.

Went with 24 x 370w panels in the end, 10kw puredrive and 6kw hybrid, ( installed zappi, harvi,hub and clamps myself)

8.88kw array in total, so a very good day to start..thanks for all your help 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Fab, great size system.

I'm currently contemplating adding half a dozen, take me up to 8.06kWp total.

I'll get some of the roof tomorrow 👍👍 really impressed with invertor..

Thanks dr. Really chuffed with it..washmachine x 3 , dishwasher x 1, tumble dryer x 1 and wires ev got some also..and batteries charged fully..tks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I've seen some YouTubers comment on battery storage should be twice your array size.

Some of you will have full batteries by 09:30 !!!

Might get second invertor in shed and fill the roof. Looking at getting air to air heat pump some time in the future. That'll soak up battery hopefully. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I got my thermal tubes moved to a different roof to accommodate PV. Both systems working very well in tandem. See graph of my tank from earlier today. If your aim is to heat water, thermal tubes are considerably more efficient than PV per collector m2.

You need to bear in mind that if you scrap the thermal tubes you will always have cold water in the lower half of the cylinder. For the cost of a new dual immersion cylinder, you could get your thermal panels moved and reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AGC22

Nice tidy job and great system, well done. Still waiting on my install date!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

Thanks for that. My cylinder is a bit weird as it is in the roof and so to get cold water head it is horizontal. There is only one large immersion element and I can't remember how far up the tank it is! I'll have to get up there later.

I don't really have anywhere else to put it so it's either keep it and forego so PV space or maximise the PV size.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

Any other PMs for installers? I'm in South Dublin if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No answers for the labour costs of a DIY setup? 😭

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks really happy with it overall - mine was a cancellation :) so jumped at the chance

hopefully not to long more to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Here's the results of my weeks shopping. Prices after grant.

12 PANELS 370 WATT 4.4 KW.JA SOLAR

4.8 DYNESS BATTERY 

5 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

EDDIE WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE

TOTAL 8500 EUROS 

------------------------------------

16 PANELS 370 WATT 5.920 KW.JA SOLAR

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

6KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER 

EDDI WATER DIVERTER 

WI FI DONGLE

TOTAL 10100 EUROS 

13 x PANELS HYUNDAI 400KWH ROOF SYSTEM 4000Kwp

5 KWH BATTERY HUAWEI.

HUAWEI INVERTER

EDDI INCLUDED  

€ 13430

A 6kW PV array (16x Qcells G9-ML 380w all-black panels)

5kW Solis Hybrid inverter

Puredrive 5kWh Purestorage2 battery

Eddi diverter

€10,750

• Advertisement

Quotes 1 & 2 are about the same value for money and pretty decent (no gouging anyway). I'd probably go for Quote 2 myself as I think you get a better return on investment (longer term) on a bigger system. Both these quote probably can be beaten, but it won't be €1000's, more like €500 or so. If it was my money I'd shop around some more, but Q2 would be the pick of the ones you've given

Quote 3 = bin.

Quote 4 = same system essentially as your Quote where Quote 2 is €600 euros cheaper (ignore the "all black" selling nonsense)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Pretty much my thoughts. I’m actually going with quote 4 as he was recommended and when I talked to him there was no sales bullshit. He was all tech talk. He can also do it at the end of the month where the other lad was end of April at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

You know what one im picking, best of luck with it.

On a side note, the price difference with the Huawei gear makes no sense to me. Yes it might look better and some useful apps but I would rather save my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 0 SolarPVWannabe

Created an account to request that anyone with a positive experience getting PV installed in Dublin could please PM me the company names.

I've been poking around google but seems a lot of them are based in either Connacht/Munster and don't make it clear whether they operate countrywide (presumably a bit tricky since could mean one heck of a long drive???) never mind finding out if they are actually any use or some newly set up fly-by-night crew.

Ideally I'd like to get as much paneling as possible, with a mind to expanding it later if the current limits are lifted (6KW limit as I understand it?).

I'd prefer to actually use the electricity rather than go the FIT route so up for spending a bit more on batteries than might be the norm, would also be nice to have it as a fallback should the mains go too (yes, I appreciate the switchover would not be immediate so I know internet/active appliances would need a restart but still far better than being stuck waiting for the mains power to come back), though I appreciate that if that happens later at night I'll probably be out of juice and out of luck. In an ideal world would have one battery configured to charge as normal but only discharge if there's no power in the mains but no idea if that's doable (I know can do it with smaller 5V circuits but no idea if possible with mains power) or if there's a problem with needing to regularly cycle the power to maintain the battery's capacity, hopefully talking with the installers will clear up if that's a pipe dream.

If anyone knows a crowd that do both PV and HVAC with heat exchangers that would be even more awesome (would be nice to get the better air quality though doubt my house is airtight enough for it to boost the efficiency, just don't want to lose heat like if I left windows open), but otherwise no problem getting that installed later.

Hopefully once I've a few recommendations I can give them each a call to see what they can do and what they quote.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Helping out a relative here. His current system is:

Panels 16 x 370w Trina Solar (5.92 kWp)

Inverter SMA SB 5.0

Plus a Myenergi Zappi and Myenergi hub.

At the time of buying this the supplier advised to wait for cheaper batteries to come on stream. They are now been quoted 8.2k for a 5kwh Sonnen System (DC Storage) which seems extortionate even allowing for the fact this set up appears to be at the top of the market.

Any recommendations on how best to proceed. My understanding is that their current inverter is not hybrid. Would also welcome PMs for recommended suppliers in the northeast. I'm looking into a system for my own house so the supplier recommendations will have a dual purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

10kW DIY Powerwall for max €2k. See the Solar PV Battery Options thread

Since your looking for quotes, your best bet it to look at the quote thread rather than start a new one. The reason I say that is that if you read say the last 10-20 pages of the quote thread, many of the same questions you have will have been already answered for you.

If you have time, no harm to read from the start.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - Page 41 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

You'll at the very least get an appreciation of the quotes coming in for people and the state of the market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I picked up one last year from the local CT Electric wholesalers for just over €400

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement