Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ings and Watkins start.

Buendia on bench.

Konsa back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Game delayed because if traffic issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Not what I'd have done but the manager will stand or fall on his decisions. Ings and Watkins have never looked to work together. Luiz and McGinn must have something in their contracts that say they have to start together if fit. They say that insanity is trying the same things over again and expecting different results.

I agree with you. But other than Sanson, what's the midfield alternative?

I haven't seen any evidence Watkins and Ings will click.

Buendia can feel really hard done by, he's been our best player under Gerrard I feel, equally I'm not sure him and Coutinho work together.

Coutinho to me is a signing similar to Ronaldo at Utd, an opportunistic signing, unplanned, the knock on effect being no DM signing and slower settling in time for new signings Bailey and Buendia.

I'd have had Chambers in at DM. He played that role at Fulham and we certainly need some protection for the back 4. That midfield trio of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey has been putrid as a unit for the past few games.

Fulham in the championship.

From what I've seen of him in the last 2 games, he's not nimble enough to get around and close down players quickly, not to mention his lack of on the ball skills, he's a natural CB.

Arsenal didn't entertain him in that position and they haven't been overly blessed in DM.

Chukwuemeka is injured. He won't play Sanson. No other options, it's painful viewing and I'm sure Luiz and McGinn are pretty p1ssed too being played out of position.

Opening 15 mins, Brighton are bossing us.

We are unable to keep the ball, playing like individuals.

1-0 Cash. We'll take it even if we were not very convincing up to that.

Great strike from Cash, 1-0 Villa.

Booked now for taking off his shirt.

• Advertisement

That could be costly as it puts him on a knife edge. Very silly.

It's a game packed with needle and silly fouls. Could easily be a player sent off.

Despite the 1 nil lead, there's been no improvement in play.

Digne often the furthest man forward while Ramsey has to cover for him at LB.

Coutinho not in the game. Our midfield missing as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Can’t understand where all the needle has come from. It’s been there since we scored. Not what you’d expect from Brighton. There’s been more yellow cards than Coutinho has had touches. Would love to see Buendia on to offer some penetration.

We always look vaguely panicked in possession and play pass the parcel until someone loses control or makes a silly pass to give it away.

Cucurella has been a little dirtbag today. Maupay is usually like that.

4 of our lads on yellows, surprised Ramsey isn't one of them. Watkins unlucky to be booked, in fact Cucurella should of got a second yellow there.

Great example just there. Free kick in our half. Taken backwards and two passes later carried out over the sideline at the point on the field where the free was taken.

• Advertisement

Yeah noticed that. Luiz with the free. Such a lazy option knocking it back like that. Cash couldn't keep it in then having received a poor pass.

Anyone seeing any positives from today's performance so far? Ings and Watkins barely touched the ball between them.

I can't see us keeping these scoreless. We need to get another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Well done Watkins, BHA are all over the place.

The elusive Sanson makes an appearance.

Iroegbunum on now for a debut. We need someone to get a foot on the ball.

• Advertisement

I’ll take that. Brighton were surprisingly poor. Never really threatened us. We weren’t much better but really needed a result to lift the gloom. Coutinho needs to be relegated to an impact sub when our opponent has tired legs. He’s a passenger in a 90 minute match.

Delighted with the result, still major concerns around everything else.

Can't see Gerrard dropping his friend Coutinho.

Was surprised to hear that Brighton won only 3 home games this season.

Great that Watkins scored, but still it's clear as day that partnership will never work and neither is good enough to start next season.

Having our LB as the highest player up the pitch every game just doesn't sit well with me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Delighted for Iroegbunam - he’s a great prospect. Somewhat surprised though as he had a poor game for the u23 during the week. Tommi O’Reilly on the bench too who I’m very excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

An ok performance yesterday as Brighton were poor but a clean sheet and 3 points the most important thing. McGinn was better, Mings ball to Ollie was good and Ollie’s control and composure for his goal was also good hopefully that will give his confidence a boost.

I see the rest of the season as effectively an extended pre-season whereby the players get used to SG’s style and he can work out what’s needed for 22/23.

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all, going to VP for first time in years for the Southampton game. Very excited.

Any useful tips from regular or recent visitors here? Plan to get to ground early, what are decent pubs in the locality for more match pint? Are the players anyway accessible before the game?

Our flight back is at 20:10 - should be safe enough to pop into taxi at 5? Our tickets are for Upper Doug Ellis stand.

Thanks folks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I haven't found a decent boozer near the ground. It's a pretty grim area. Probably better off in the city centre.

If you hang around the players entrance at the corner of the Trinity Road and North Stands you might get an autograph/photo with a player as they come in.

You'd be safe getting a train I'd say, no need for a taxi, it's a quiet airport, doesn't take long to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers, thanks for that. Anyone have pub recommendations in City Centre?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Any Claret Club members not going to the Arsenal game? I can only buy the one ticket on mine and herself is joining me. Not sure there'll be any left on general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Not on tv again?

Got used to every game live during covid times

Konsa and Digne out.

Chambers and Young replace them.

That weakens us hugely.

• Advertisement

Goal from Watkins.

Lovely play from Ings and Coutinho in the build up, nice turn and finish by Watkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Fantastic goal from Watkins. Great assist from Ings too

What a finish , assist from ings.

Stream stuck on mute ffs

Watkins has to be making that 2 nil, poor miss after Coutinho puts it on a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Playing some lovely stuff today, 2 nil.

Has anyone seen our midfield yet? I'm still waiting for them to turn up.

Coutinho has that class he shows every now and then, he should of scored after Watkins good work.

Magic from Coutinho who put it on a plate for Luis, 2-0 Villa.

Awful miss from Coutinho, could have been game over.

2 up

Should be 4

This fella from barca on loan aint half bad

• Advertisement

Just hope we buy him at the end of the loan. Otherwise we’re just getting him fit while our record signing doesn’t get minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Coutinho should have a hattrick- 2 easy misses but then again he has 2 assists......

I've a feeling that we should have had a peno too when ref played on for Coutinho's blasted shot from Cash's cross - McGinn I think was bundled over right in front of Coutinho - just shoved, no tackle

He has one assist, He passed to Ings who assisted the first.

True, forgot that

Here’s hoping we can string together two decent halves of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The pass from Chambers to Coutinho was fantastic. Not really a great performance so far but we’re creating so many chances and limiting them to scraps. Weird one.

• Advertisement

Coutinho definitely should of made it 3 at the end and if we don't get 3 points from this position then there's no hope for us.

Next goal is vital.

Coutinho gets his goal, too good!

Sign him up.

Theres the goal

Lovely dummy, think it took a deflection, he's just got that class about him.

Would like to see Baily and Buendia brought on after the hour.

Ings should of scored, and now he does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Wow. Thats 4. Has Stevie G cracked the Ings Watkins issue?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement