Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think it’s “no tall men”, dazzler might be vertically challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I reckon her remaining anonymous is an arrangement that suits Eoghan also. Does he really want people looking her up and asking her questions, looking for more info on certain claims that remain unchallenged by him? Possibly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

But even if the truth had came out initially would he have been ruined. Although the law is binary at 17 for consent, most people think it is morally wrong for a 27 yo to sleep with a 17 yo.

Then you factor in his career as somebody being woke. Do get away with in his profession. If it had been a sports star who had slept with a 17 yo when 27 they would get away with it because they're relying on their sporting ability not their persona to make a living. But in this case it is more like. Sorry Eoghan I don't want to hear your woke opinion because you hang around school gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I see articles in some papers today. He has the PR machine in over drive. As ive said. Issue is for a woke metoo crusader he had previously had sexual relations with a school kid when he was 27. **** that. Leave the lad live his life but he shouldnt be let near a state broadcaster again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But even if the truth had came out initially would he have been ruined

What truth?

All I see so far is verified lies.

The anonymous allegations have to be treated as complete fiction. It's too unsafe for any rational human being to make any sort of judgement using that as a source.

• Advertisement

He is not denying anything, he doesn't have to.

If it gets to a point where he is asked actual questions about it, then if choses he can answer them.

If he wants to go back to "broadcasting" he'll need to give a full frank account of his interactions with a school child. He has verified he had a relationship with the person. A Fundamentally different account to hers obviously.

Could you link the where it was confirmed she was a "school child"?

In the solicitor's letter it said they had a relationship in or around October 2010.

• Advertisement

Then the truth regarding their age would not be contested. He was 27 or 28 then and she was 17. If the truth regarding their relationship and ages had initially been published would his career have been ruined anyway even tho it was not illegal. I think so given his persona.

Again if you have a link to something that verifies her age by all means post it up.

The only fact we know is she lied about what age she was.

People again are making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If it had been a sports star.

If he had been a sports star he would have got the same leway and sympathy as Paddy Jackson got here after his case.

Thankful Jackson's potential employers have been less forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

If she was 16 or 17, then she wasn't an adult. 17 is the age where someone can consent to sex but they aren't an adult.

But yep, adults can groom other adults, apparently.

Unfortunately, due to the way our laws are, a poor person can make statements like that and there's very little you can do to them in a civil court. If they don't have any money, what good is an award of money as compensation? You won't see a penny of it. And most likely you will have to pay your own (substantial) legal costs.

It's all well and good going after her in the High Court if you can afford to lose maybe €100k but if you don't have that money or can't afford it, then there's not much point really.

And yeah, it sucks if someone makes a false allegation about you but going to court can be an unaffordable way to clear your name.

Yeah and I also make the assumption if she was 18 or older in October 2010 then Eoghan would or should be broadcasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s noteworthy that the solicitors letter says that she was over the age of consent when their relationship was physical, and not that she was a consenting adult when their relationship was physical. I wonder why that is.

That was an accusation of rape.

But let's say it was consensual relationship between a 27yo sports star and a 17yo that hit the media then there would be no issue of the sportsstar losing their job where if it is a woke broadcaster they probably will. Do you not agree?

The letter is from her solicitor.

It seems to have been only released on the condition of full anonymity.

He hasn't "broadcast" anything apart from that 1 tweet.

Just to clear up, before an other unfounded allegations are made about the texting, does anyone have any proof of what was in the texts? A number of posters have alleged that he was “grooming” this young girl for sex, has anyone seen the texts? Or is this another bunch of people accusing a person of something they didn’t do?

If you have proof of grooming, please post it.

• Advertisement

Im not going to link her story. Not fair on her or Eoghan.

As ive said if he wants to drive home his woke metoo agenda again on national media he has questions to answer. If he wants to become a teacher he sure as **** has questions to answer.

3 alleagtions were withdrawn and clafrified as being inaccurate. He does have family members in the guards too. He gave an interview stating that.

She withdrew and verified that she was in fact at the age of consent.

She withdrew third party allegations about Eoghan.

Thats all.

A lot of other alleagations and info werent withdrawn and Eoghan didnt challenge them.

If it were me and this girl was in fact a lot older than she said and wasnt on school id be insisting that appear in the solicitors letter and retracted. But its not and Eogham didnt challenge. Thats a fact.

She confirmed she was above the age of consent, that is all he needs confirmed. Anything else is down to peoples opinion of the morality of what he did. That is not something he needs to verify.

If she wants to follow through with her accusation of rape, that is a matter for the Gardai, she seems not to have made a complaint so draw from that what you may. She had no problem accusing him online, but had a problem walking into a Garda station and telling the Gardai what happened.

She did more than acknowledge “inaccuracies”, she admitted to making false allegations.

Gusser, if you have proof the texts were an attempt at grooming, post the texts to confirm your allegation, otherwise you are just another anonymous poster trying to tarnish a persons reputation by implying he groomed someone under the age of consent.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

At the time he was teaching in another school. Total scumbag.

Boggles have you even read the letter from the girls solicitor which McDermott was happy to publish? In it it’s agreed that he, a teacher at the time we now know, aged 27, had a romantic relationship with the girl, aged 17 at the time, a 5th year student. You have no issues with that?

You’re happy for your 17 year old daughter to have a 27 year old teacher who has a 17 year old girlfriend? That doesn’t give you the creeps?

He tarnished his reputation himself. Didnt need help from me or one of the many others on this forum who think his behaviour on a moral footing was appalling.

I wouldnt like him teaching my daughter.

He was a teacher, having a relationship with a student? Seriously?

No doubt, would you like to comment further on the implication of grooming?

Can anyone confirm he was a teacher at the time? His bio mentions he planned to become at teacher if his media career failed.

Was he a teacher at the time or registered with the Teachers Council?

I don’t know this guy, my interest in this discussion is more about numpties making unfounded or inaccurate accusations online which have an affect on a persons like, so Too, are you stating that in this case a teacher had a 17 yr old girlfriend, or, are you joining the list of people posting unfounded allegations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You seem to not understand what grooming is.

Grooming. You may have heard the term as it applies to children, but adults can also groom other adults – even at work. By definition, grooming is when someone builds a relationship, trust and emotional connection with someone so they can manipulate, exploit and/or abuse them.

People usually message others to build bond, to build trust, not to talk about weather. Sexual grooming is when the end result of such exchange is sex. Texts don't have to be sexual. But if such built relation ends in a sexual act (especially unwilling sexual act), so it is enough for me to see it that way....

But if it is what happened here, I don't know...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement