Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

So, they've beaten Fermanagh and Wicklow, lost to Limerick and drawn with Laois. Big swing.

There is never an excuse for that Wicklow performance. Ever. Given what was at stake and who we were playing, there was only one way to approach that game. We went out and were out-performed by Wicklow. That is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You have less than ten posts but I can see that glass you’re drinking from is definitely half empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

How poorly Wicklow have been before and since then only makes it worse. We are the only team they have beaten in the last two years. Complacency is the only reason that performance could have been so poor. Complacency and the fact that Wicklow must have had the game of their lives. I generally watch games 2 or 3 times sometimes if possible but I can't bring myself to watch that game again.

I think any Cavan fan re-watching the Wicklow game would qualify as an elite-level masochist. I think barring one point by Conor Madden there wasn't anything to write home about, and there was a lot of horror-show moments as well. My abiding memory was Wicklow players collapsing all over the field from cramp and exhaustion over the last ten minutes as they had emptied the tank.

Ultimate salt in the wounds was that Paul Fitz said on We Are Cavan that the Wicklow players post-game felt that it wasn't a shock result and that Cavan were rubbish. We had just won Ulster. They haven't won a game since. And we let them beat us.

Right, that's it. One of the mods can ban me if i bring that game up again. Like the Waterford game in 2006 and the Tipp game in 2017 i probably just need to let it go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Someone said earlier the ball has to be kicked earlier to get goals but do we have forwards who will win such a ball against their marker, probably a sweeper doubling up and then drive through them for a goal. I dont think our new forward coach ever scored a goal in championship either. Conor Madden is the type of player we need to break out of whatever sort of slumber he is on and start grabbing games by the scruff of the neck.

All that said, if Cavan turn up focused and motivated they will be too good for Sligo. If they go in at 90% Sligo will throw everything at them as Sligo need something after their disappointing loss to Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Remember Connor madden taking on his man and scoring two brilliant goals against Roscommon in the league a few years ago, it’s a pity he isn’t showing that kind of form.

Do you not think Clarke will be used at midfield with Galligan missing?

I do think this needs to be treated as a championship game but looking at the GAA rankings on here we are 13th & Sligo 26th so this is a game we have to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

It's a must win Game, Murphy, Carabine and Hughes the biggest threats, this could be the game for us to score goals because from what I've seen both of Sligos keepers are only average so a good push on kick outs will be vital! I think we'll have too much all over for them but McEntee is a good coach and knows Ulster football so we won't have it all our own way

A big 2 weeks for us 2 wins and we're laughing

Killian Brady or Gerry Smith (if fit) are also options at midfield. It might be the type of game that suits Brady as it could be scrappy. I certainly wouldn't be moving Gearoid out of the forward line when we have relied on him so heavily for scores.

• Advertisement

For me, it's Clarke to the middle and keep Gearoid on the 40. He's flying there, scoring for fun and asking him to come out to the middle cuts our nose off to spite our face.

Clarke more or less played in the middle against Tryone and Wexford and was our best player in the latter game. Ideally Jason is back and the Gunner, Faulkner and Jason in the full back line works for me.

I would be concerned about how our half back line gave Carlow enough time to pick passes into the inside line. Moynagh and Conroy are too similiar in that regard. Brilliant ball players with an eye for a forward pass but neither are blessed with pace. I would have Fortune in there. I would go for (if fit):

Ray, Jason, Podge, Gunner, Fortune, Conroy, Kiernan, Clarke, Smith, Cian Madden, Gearoid, Martin Reilly, Cormac O'Reilly, Lynch, Caoimhin.

If Martin Reilly isn't fit, then Conor Madden or Oisin Brady to come in.

Clarke and Smith in the middle, and then have Gearoid and Conroy come in there as well for kick outs. Conroy is no slouch under a high ball and well able to take a mark. One option would be to play Argue as a half forward where he plays at club level and have him come out to the middle on kick outs as well.

Are you dropping Gerry Smith or just assuming he isn't fit? I agree Moynagh should be dropped. I think management are chasing getting him back to 2019 levels, when he was an All Star nominee, but I don't think it's going to happen. He was almost two years out of the game.

There's no reason Gearoid couldn't float out to midfield to support kick outs and then move back inside. It's not as if we play a blistering, counter attacking game that wouldn't allow him time to jog back in after the kick out!

I didn't list Gerry as I was assuming he wouldn't be fit. I couldn't work out when he was coming off whether it was a knock or muscular. He's had his fair share of the former.

Fit and he starts all day long for me. Moynagh was magnificent in 2019 but it is a massive ask to have him come back to that. He did okay in the first half against Carlow (he won two balls he had no right to win) but it has to be either him or Conroy, but not both. On current form, that's Conroy for me.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread. The treatment of Fortune since we won Ulster mystifies me. I had presumed he was injured through the League last year but then he's thrown on after 29 minutes against Tyrone for Cian Reilly. I always felt Cavan had a fairly settled starting 15 after Ulster and the positions up for grabs were 2 forward positions.

The next two weeks are going to tell us alot about where exactly this Cavan team are.

Bizarre in what way? In that they have already played a game against Monaghan? I've seen one or two clubs congratulate players for being part of the panel. Haven't seen any formal squad list.

I know you don't always agree with me seeking the opinion of others but my sources in Mullagh tell me he is a nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

The U20s are getting hammered by Westmeath. It's only a warm up tournament but will be the second defeat. The performance last year against Down in Championship was really poor, so Damien Donahoe will be under more scrutinity this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

How did Damien Donohoe get that job anyway, what managerial experience has he up to this?

**** me. Cavan U20s beat 3-10 to 7 points in Breffni by Westmeath. How much longer can the county board allow that farce to continue? Absolutely horrendous.

• Advertisement

Yes the Minors have been poor for a few years. At schools College level St Pats Cavan haven't pushed from when they won the MacRory Cup in 2015. Some of that management is no longer involved and standards slipped.

But there was probaly too much emphasis put into Pats also.

Cavan are in Division 4 but they need some good under age teams to emerge, because in a few years Gearoid McKiernan, Ray Galligan, won't be around .

How is it possible to only score one point in a half of football unless you’re playing against a gale of a wind?

Donohoe managed Drumalee, Killinkere & was a coach with Mullahoran. He was run out of Drumalee - which actually resulted in Mickey Brennan upping sticks and heading back to Meath. He got Killinkere to an intermediate final one year and relegated the year after. Then he changed to coaching Mullahoran.

I thought giving him the U20 job was to keep him on the county board’s side re his media influence and profile. Others have said it’s because he’s cheaper.

Whatever the reason, it’s hard to believe that the county board passed over Daragh McCarthy for this, particularly given I understand McCarthy works with young people in his day job.

He didn't have the credentials for the job. You would see in a lot of Counties the U20/21 manager being a future Senior manager. I don’t think that was ever going to be the case with Damien Donohoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I think the biggest issue with Donohoe as u20 manager is his favouritism towards Mullahoran lads. Players who couldn't make their club team last year getting picked ahead of far more talented players.

Cavan have made a few strange appointments at U20 level since the days of Terry Hyland and Peter Reilly. Kevin Downes was there 1 year and they were hammered by Donegal 2-20 to 10.

John Brady took over the U20s after previous controversy when he was Minor manager, with a lot of the backroom team leaving. Darragh McCarthy is a very good manager and would probaly be getting more from this Cavan team. The S/C issue is a strange one when Cavan are one of the few Counties with a full time S/C coach,

The favouritism towards Killinkere and Mullahoran, to an even worse extent, is difficult to listen to in the podcast at times.

My main issue with Donohoe is from listening to the podcast I think he can be a poor judge of player. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy We Are Cavan but I still would feel he and Fitzpatrick paint players as above their level at times. Paul also has a clear bias towards anyone shows even a passing interest in handball - Stephen Smith being a classic example.

Its unfortunate because the U20 lads are working hard - they trained 3 times this week, including a night in Athlone - but, unlike the minors who have a superb management team IMO, the county board haven’t given them the one basic thing they should have: a manager who gets the best out of them.

Exactly. These jobs should be going to the best club managers in the county and Donohoe isn’t that.

If the squad is known to be a weak bunch, then why not appoint a manager that gets the best out of limited resources like Kevin McDonnell? He was available at the time and the man got Denn to two senior finals for gods sake!

As others have said, at least the minors have Seanie Smith who is an excellent manager from what I’ve seen of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

If there were any brains in the county board theyd be asking Terry Hyland to get involved in our underage again. Maybe U20 next year.

I dont know anything about Damien Donohoe as a manager, seems like a sound fella on the podcast. However if he is light in experience then the fault lies squarely with those who put him in there. If he were an inexperienced fella with potential why not ask him in as a no2 to someone else like Hyland or McCarthy?

• Advertisement

Donegal pulled away in that Minor game after Cavan had a player sent off before half time. https://www.donegaldaily.com/2019/05/19/donegal-minors-reach-ulster-semi-final-after-impressive-display-against-cavan/

Ryan Brady and Cormac Brady were impressive for Gowna last year in the Championship. Not sure why they haven't featured

Advertisement