Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I did not expect Ukranian resistance and fight back to be so successful. I've heard of a counter offensive in places.

It's genuinely encouraging, but under no illusion that Putin had a lot more forced and weaponry to call upon.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

It doesn’t count as long as you preface it with “I am not X but”. So anybody who says I support Ukraine but is covered under this clause and they must be speaking with genuine concern and in good faith. QED

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

An infarction, that's a bit drastic and wouldn't wish it on anyone [except maybe Putin] (sorry could not help it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Russia are only starting the Big War...after Ukraine is finally Bulldozed with a couple of hundred thousand dead Ukrainians - it will be Poland or Finland next up.

At what stage will the world say enough??...or do we just keep looking on ?

• Advertisement

The key determinant will be what direct or indirect support the Kremlin will receive from other foreign governments.

I do agree that it would be foolish to think that this will stop at Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Talisman

There are senior people in the U.S. that are trying to think outside the box to find ways to implement a no-fly zone.

In some ways implementing it will hinder the Ukrainian defenders because they are setup to take down short range aircraft and helicopters. They also have the use of the skies currently and have been very effective with drone strikes. A no-fly zone means that anything that goes up will be shot down irrespective of what side it's from. Introducing a no-fly zone means that the Russians can fall back to firing cruise missiles from within Russia or Belarus and the Ukrainians are not equipped to counter such weapons.

If they find some way to get a no-fly zone approved by the U.N. then I think it shouldn't be enforced by Europeans. There's too much at risk, it's virtually guaranteed that Russia would use it as an opportunity to engineer an incident. It could be something as simple as drawing an aircraft into Russian or Belarus airspace in an engagement - imagine the field day that Putin would have with that for his next televised address.

The job of enforcement could be delegated to the Chinese air force supported by U.S. AWACS - they are both permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and are the best equipped non-European air forces. If this unlikely scenario came to be it would totally mess with the perceived dynamic between China and Russia. If China were to refuse the opportunity then the next best alternative would be Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

'People are sheep'?

The kind of sentence you get from a misplaced sense of moral/intellectual superiority and probably a few glasses of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Two things to note. A huge number of protestors came out to protest the Iraq war. Berceuse the war was sold on a lie (a believable lie given that Saddam had used WMDs) the initial invasion and for a few weeks later, was reluctantly supported by many because of the perceived threat. Hence why you didn't see the same reaction. Also we were not living in a social media age. Social media puts massive pressure on corporations and entities to 'act'.

These are not the same conditions as with Russia and Ukraine.

The concept of sheeple might have been edgy 5 years ago. Now, it has been done to death and is so passé 🥱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

If I'm a Russian soldier and I've been told Ukrainians will greet me with flowers, and I see this. I'm turning around and walking home. I'd need to walk because I'd be out of fuel, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've gone from a far right,neo Nazis, transphobic , woman hater , warmonger,CIA agent , Blue shirt to a sheep ...

Deadly I've come full circle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

but what about..

I'l spare you the photos of the dead pilot, the other bloodied but alive and another two caaptured. Today will probably be declared national shoot down a Russian bleep day.

Baaaaaaaaaaa....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Ukrainian people seem to be saying fairly unanimously that they do not want the Russians there. To be honest, the Russians should have guessed this when the pro-Russian leadership was booted out of power. Even the ones who were more pro-Russian have to be looking at the constant bombardment of Ukrainian cities and going, 'Eh, actually...'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

H

Never said they were weak, but they look weak if they are trying to act like a super power.

Even going straight to the nuclear war threat looks like a desperate move , I don’t think Putin has planned for this. That’s not underestimating Putin it’s implying he may not be the genius some think. Who knows, maybe he’s not the man he was 20 years ago, he is human after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

in fairness no surprise , the only thing those scumbags are good at is digging mass graves (and sadly filling them) .

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Are you being serious? The Iraq war was against a genocidal dictator who tried to wipe the Kurds off the face of the earth. Who wants to wave a symbol of support for such a piece of filth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

I know its CNN. But Admiral William McRaven view on how the war will go. Good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I cant stand whataboutery - it just keeps coming at us from all directions. And from all angles - I had my first 'whatabout the homeless crisis' today which was blood boiling.

The iraq comparison just keeps coming up and we keep responding. And i would add this is NOT a zero sum choice. You can be AGAINST BOTH IRAQI AND UKRAINIAN WARS -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Talisman

At this stage Vlad should climb into his bed and not come out for a week ...

The Ukrainians are giving a world class performance in delivering uplifting stories on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭threeball

I was watching an interview with a Russian ex pat who studies the Kremlin and Putin. She made the point that Putin was never a chess master. His modus operandi is to throw enough **** at the wall and see what sticks. This can be seen in all the accusations he's thrown around in the last 10 days alone. There's no master plan, just a load of accusations (nazis, drug addicts, empire of lies etc) to threats (nuclear, a threat like you have never seen before, if you help you're at war with us.)

It's a common theme throughout his reign. Just a poisonous, ruthless little fcuker rather than grandmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

You were wondering out loud why people were not displaying an emblem of support for Iraq ie. a dictator who brutalised and murdered his own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like reports that Russia is sending it's strategic bombers TU22M to hit Odessa and other Ukrainian targets tonight ,

It would be massive if the Ukrainians can take several of these down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So Putin appeared today surrounded by flight attendants…they all looked terrified with the fakest of smiles plastered on their faces if they thought the cameras were picking them up. Message to Russian population - ‘I am not a paranoid mad man taking on an old USSR ideology and bombing a neighbouring country to pieces because I want it back against its will…’

Would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting between the Israeli PM and Putin. It seems like the West is attempting some form of back channelling diplomacy. Putin will lead everyone on a garden path and do what he likes regardless. It should be in his interest to have an exit strategy, but it may not depending on what his ultimate goals are.

RIP to all the victims killed, including the poor 18 month old child in Mariupol today and all the other children killed in the conflict to date. Horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭omega man

Just turned sky news on there to see doctors trying to save a toddler who dies there and then (filmed yesterday in Mariupol I think). Its hard to think logically and not want to see Putin taken on with the full force of the west. Tragic needless loss of innocent lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I saw the elevator one earlier and thought it couldn’t be topped. But there comes granny with her cucumber and knocks it off the top spot 😂

🥒 👵 🥇

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Russia are only starting the Big War...after Ukraine is finally Bulldozed with a couple of hundred thousand dead Ukrainians - it will be Poland or Finland next up.

Dramatic much? You'd swear some people want this. No it won't be Poland or Finland next. Russia's big scary 'military might' has shown its many weaknesses in this invasion. An invasion against a country with little cash and much of their military equipment Cold War hand me downs and a country pretty ideal for military vehicle use. And even with their overwhelming manpower they're already bogged down in a few places because their tactics and fighting men are below par. Taking on a NATO country, even if we take nuclear weapons off the table(and their introduction in reality would be beyond a clusterfúck and I can't fathom why some people don't understand this), would be a very different prospect. The Finns have previous in dealing with Russian forces and totally fúcking them up. The Poles would fight like crazed animals if the Russians put a jackboot on the wrong side of their border and that's before the rest of NATO got involved. And get involved they would, because it would show Putin and his minions to be actually insane/stupid for escalating.

Plus it'll be a long time beforre Ukraine is close to being 'bulldozed' by the Russians. And even if they hold it there are thousands of armed to the teeth Ukrainians ready to make it Russia's Afghanistan all over again. And that's before the worldwide sanctions on near everything worth a damn for Russia that are going to bite ever harder and harder and their foreign reserves locked and the assets of their mafia ruling class seized. The world isn't just 'looking on'. I have never seen such swift, decisive and group condemnation and action from so many nations against one in such a short time. In a matter of days. They're cutting Russia off from the world and supplying support and arms to the Ukrainians. The World has said "enough" and loudly. The only thing they've not done, and it would be dribbling moron time to do it, is put troops on the ground. Y'know, because of WW3 and thermonuclear effin war.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement