Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm no geopolitical genius but I think if it were me....I'd go in and hit him with everything I've got.

That's why I'm not in charge I suppose.

Part of me thinks that's the only language a thug/bully understands.....and that's always been my (deeply satisfying) response in a one on one situation but the stakes are vastly higher with potentially millions and perhaps more lives at stake if the West decides to go in........I'm willing to bet if any rational person with a shred of empathy had to make the decision to escalate it wouldn't be something they could do without huge levels of doubt/worry etc etc

Just goes to show you what Putin is, he can make a decision that will mean thousands/possibly hundreds of thousands/ possibly more will lose their lives.........maybe fighting fire with fire is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

That his hand or the mic are ethereal?

His hand passes through the mic.

He's not sitting there. It's a deep fake from Russian fascist state TV propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

This is the problem. Its all about nerve to a certain extent. But beyond that, its about willingness to take responsibility for the consequences

Hypothetically - The west/NATO stands up to Putin - No Fly Zone

• Outcome A: He backs down. In the face of escalating to World War 3, he either backs down, or is forced domestically to back away from the brink. His regime may or may not end, its irrelevant for this hypothetical
    • Outcome B: He Doubles down. Nato planes shoot down Russian Planes. Russia retaliates by attacking NATO's airfields. NATO responds by taking out the russian planes bases. Putin backed into a corner, issues a Nuclear threat to the western hemisphere. Committed at this stage, NATO stands eyeball to Eyeball. No one blinks. Russia Launches. America Launches. Millions die in the short term. Potentially Billions from fallout. End of civilization as we know it

Every fiber in my being wants to see Putin fall. I wake up every morning for the last week, hoping to switch on and find he is gone, dead, or dying. I want to stand up to bullies, and in life, i frequently have. But where the consequences are what they are (Nuclear Armageddon, end of civilization as we know it) - Can we really call his bluff. What if it is not a bluff. There are a few points in the above where he could also back down, but i reiterate the question. What if he doesn't?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That whole "only thing the bully understands" thing is often bollx. Often the bully knows he is bigger than you or can at least knock you senseless before the rest step in.

This bully can cause WW3 or the nuclear apocalypse if you are wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Whats clear is putin has been planning this for years. He has even written about it!

He has weighed up the situation very well and knows the west cannot directly do anything

And i don't think anything that is said, done or threatened or even the losses in Ukraine are going to bother him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you did intend to hit them with everything, it would be essential to get the timing right - and surprise would be essential.

At the present time, NATO are not ready at this time (as far as we can see), but are getting ready. However, we do not know how ready they actually are, and when they would consider that they are ready, or what sequence of attack would be required.

The NATO campaign against Serbia over Bosnia would not inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I thought point of bothering making a response (if you disagree) is to try and parse it, and piece by piece explain why you disagree.

Anyway, didn't mean to misphrase your point, sorry. Yes I took it wider, but to state it clearly I disagree NATO will be secretly delighted with how things are going, not right now, while they are in the middle of it and nobody can see how it ends up. I suppose it was mainly the word "delighted" that got me edit because you are correct in all you said as regards possible positives for NATO. I imagine they are under a huge amount of stress/worry though.

There is of course a war going on now, just not one where NATO/US/EU etc. are direct participants but are very heavily involved. Am no expert but from memories of Cold War etc, the economic sanctions seemed to me to be within a reasonable response to what Russia is doing here, just as weapons/support to Ukraine is. If Russia + leadership there is in fact reasonable (?) they won't escalate (start a war with NATO/US/EU) over that.

I'm sure both US/EU will still be engaging with Russia or trying to + looking for ways out of this (e.g. if Russia is willing to cease fire in Ukraine and pull back to where they were), whatever trade sanctions are levied in the mean time. I don't want them to stop doing that.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes, NATO hitting the Chinese embassy in Moscow with guided weapons like they did in Belgrade in 1999 would be unhelpful at this time.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I didn’t see the hand passing Ygritte mic but on YouTube a teapot disappears during the video and there is definitely something off about it.

It reminds me of the videos Saddam took with the hostage human shields during the Gulf War.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Not trying to be weird - genuinely - but do you have a link for this?

Im getting more and more curious about it (yes by all means take the mic no pun intended) - Initially it seemed to be a stretch to suggest something bogus about the video - but who knows at this stage - two weeks ago i would have denied that this invasion was going to happen - it honestly seemed impossible that

• Russia is spotted moving a large force to Ukrainian Border
    • Its publicized
    • They deny it - officially from the Moscow government, and via all media
    • Boom - they invade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭amacca

I take your point to an extent, however bullies will keep at it until they meet their match.....that one is always the case in my experience.....if you cant immediately retaliate and the situation is inescapable the best course of action is usually bide your time and wait for the opportunity.....but like I wanted to make clear, I'm aware this isn't a playground and the stakes are about as high as they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

People think Russia will fail. They won't fail like you think. If they were at a stage where they were in big trouble economically they would be easy pickings for another country to ally up to. Considering they are anti west they will go all in with China ect. Having a subjugated Russia as an ally with all its nuclear and energy power will be very useful. All they need to do it keep its market's open to them.

Europe will be shafted either way because when the suckers end up fighting, which they will, it will set it back decades. Just because they tried to stick it to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Has there been any announcement of what Putin said to Naftali Bennett yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nothing like a friendly reminder who's top dog ,

I believe there was alot more to that than we will ever know publicly.

Could be worse Russia fired cruise missiles at anti Assad forces.in Syria and hit Iran instead ,and we wonder why they are taking heavy losses in Ukraine ....

Imagine the combined 30 countries of nato vs Russia , the Russians would be anilated in days

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Absolutely disgusting that Russians are firing at peaceful Ukraine protestors

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Can't go to China while India refuses to condemn them. Then they lose India and billions in a arms deal. He really has snookered himself.

Best for everyone if India continues as they are doing. Because it actually works against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I wonder how long the west can keep these sanctions up.

Can we move away from Russian energy?

Russia was always an enemy who couldn't be trusted so why did Germany get another gas pipeline built?

How much pain can the west inflict on its own people before they back track?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Italian Air force has landed in Eastern Poland.

No prizes for guessing what's on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Eventually some EU countries will split, as in when the war is over and when Russia gets a new leader it will be open for business again.

Even it Putin died tonight someone will inherit a very powerful country ie unlimited energy/Nuclear resources. They won't be willing to let that go to the West to easily. Diplomacy is the only option to us having a peaceful future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

You're missing the fact that Russian government has blocked Western news. Russian media is being controlled by the Russian government. Russians are being brainwashed. Putin says Russian military is defending Ukrainians from nazis. And many Russian people have such a brainwash for decades, they believe what's on tv. A few days back they started teaching this at school too. And if you have a different opinion or protest, there's a new law which puts you in jail for 15 years being against Russia and for 'spreading propaganda' (pretty much anything West says). Some Ukrainians have families in Russian, even their mothers and fathers don't believe their children in Ukraine telling Russian army is attacking civils. Russians are adamant Russian army is to protect Ukrainians from 'nazi' and 'come with peace'.

Some younger people manage to find Wester sources of information via VPN, but it's hard to make the older generation to make them believe the news from West due to ongoing lie. They believe only what Putin says. If we wait till Russian (it's a huge nation!) wakes up, more likely a part of Europe will be gone by then. Sanctions (and even more drastic) and a no-fly zone in Ukraine could win some time.

For the first time in history a major war is being waged in a country with multiple nuclear reactors and thousands of tons of highly radioactive spent fuel.

Ukraine operates 15 nuclear power units, including six of them at the biggest European nuclear power plant - Zaporiz'ka NPP (6000 MW) which also has an on-site open-air spent nuclear fuel storage.

The Russian army has it in their plans to gain access to its facilities. On 2 March 2022 brave citizens of Enerhodar (satellite town to Zaporiz’ka NPP) came out to stop the invaders from entering the city and consequently didn’t allow a direct route to the NPP.

As you may know, the occupation forces captured Chornobyl NPP. This is an act of nuclear terrorism. Russia is using the Chornobyl Exclusion Zone to place their weapons, so Ukraine couldn’t strike back. The presence of weapons is already a great risk for the radioactive situation at the station.

Ukraine has already called on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to immediately appeal to NATO to enforce a ‘no-fly zone’ over its nuclear facilities (the so-called A2/AD zone) and to step up effort to prevent further acts of nuclear terrorism by Russia.

Nuclear power plants might be targeted with the aim of:

* widely dispersing radioactive material;

* disrupting the electricity supply;

* setting up an additional launch site for Russian missiles knowing that the Ukrainian military won’t retaliate fearing the worst outcome;

* using the seizure of NPPs as a bargaining chip during the “peace talks”;

* using them as a “fail-safe” - destroying during retreat to cause significant damage and additional chaos.

1. None of the Ukrainian NPPs (as well as any NPPs in the world) is designed to withstand an act of war, and radioactive emissions from a missile hit in an operating nuclear power plant can exceed those from Chornobyl and Fukushima.

In the worst case scenario, the reactor can be destroyed as well as the cooling system. In this case the radioactivity of both the reactor and the fuel pool could escape into the atmosphere. It could make a large part of the European continent uninhabitable for at least many decades and over a distance of hundreds and hundreds of kilometres.

2. A loss of off-site power could also be an issue of serious concern.

NPPs require constant electrical power for cooling even when shut down. When the electricity grid fails and the reactor is in a station black out, there are backup diesel generators and batteries, but their reliability over a longer period of time cannot be guaranteed.

Fighting could disrupt off-site power plants or transmission lines servicing the reactor, and could also prevent diesel fuel from reaching the plant to replenish standby generators.

3. NPPs require a complex support system, including the permanent presence of qualified personnel, power, access to cooling water, spare parts and equipment. Such support systems are severely compromised during a war.

Therefore, a swift and powerful response from the EU and the world is required to stop the war started by Russia and make sure that military activity around NPPs doesn’t lead to a new planet wide catastrophe, and that operating nuclear units are duly protected and overseen.

We are asking NATO member states and Ukraine-friendly countries to close the airspace over Ukraine and establish an effective no-fly zone which will not only save the lives of our citizens, but will also significantly reduce the risks of enemy missiles hitting Ukrainian NPPs.

Importantly, even as the war rages on, Energoatom and the Ministry of Energy are working to ensure that nuclear power plants are in a safe working condition and that Ukrainians have a stable supply of electricity. 

However, Putin didn't expect such a strong Ukraine's defence keeping in mind limited resources. Putin has planned Ukrainians will defend which hasn't happened. It put him in the corner and he's now desperately trying to do something more to win. Hence the threats about a nuclear weapon etc.

RUSI Director-General Professor Michael Clarke and the Atlantic Council's Ben Judah - on LBC

Its from 2 days ago so in theory its old - It is very good in my view

• Discussion on the International Security Situation in the west -
    • NATO Expansion discussion in relation to Ukraine
    • The ACTUAL military situation
    • The 'Air-force' question -
    • A very pessimistic discussion on 'Gestapo' tactics which are predicted to be employed to remove possible 'trouble makers'

I think it speaks to many of the questions we have discussed (if i missed something and this was already posted apologies -)

We might be back in business on this plan - it was discussed earlier in the conflict but there is traction now - CNN report Biden white house in discussion to replace Polands Warsaw Pact Era planes

Cant find a CNN link but its on the Ticker - screen grab from my CNN Satellite feed -

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Your concern for the west is very touching comrade.

By the time we are finished you will be mooching around Moscow with a half stone of rubles trying to find a shop that is still open . The oligarchs/ mafia already know how putin will die it's just a matter of then rounding up his henchmen and eventually his apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Remember putin saying they weren't invading Ukraine, as thousands of troops gathered around their borders. Remember putin saying they didn't want war with Europe. Well they lied and invaded Ukraine, now we sit and wait and watch them destroy our friends in Ukraine.

So sad, all other nations can do is feed Ukraine's weapons, without helping them in battle.

I understand this lunatic is evil to the core and provoking him could lead to worse, but he needs to go to his friends in hell.

Considering Nato are suppose to protect EU states, are they afraid once Ukraine are in the EU, they'll have to do something about putin and the war will escalate further?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

If you would be so kind,

Please help us raise funds for the Irish Red Cross who are helping people on the borders of Ukraine. It's winter time and these people need any support we can get to them. Food, clothes, medications, shelter etc. I just want to try help them, the Irish Red Cross could do a lot for these people and their children with these funds.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-ukraine-people-irish-redcross-050322

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

When all the the ‘ opinions, etc, are removed the following has been the case from the breakup of the USSR . Putin was clear that the breakup was the biggest mistake ever made by the USSR - so the idea was always there . As far as Putin Was concerned it needed to be put back together again - if necessary but by bit . So everything he has done or should have done was always towards that end and he has gone significantly down that road AND zbO BATION SAW IT COMING and it will continue . For example what is the international community going to do when he rolls into Mondova and repeats his nuclear threat?

Advertisement