Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

First day and did 19.1 kWh really happy, may it last 🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

In the middle of a fuel crisis was nice to pump a lot of electricity into the electric car today

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

You were spot on with the output mate.

With regards to being away during the summer it would be 4-5 days with nobody being at home.

Logic for the battery I guess is that it's full once we get home and can pull from that regardless of the weather.

Let's say for example we don't get a battery, we leave the house on Monday and don't return until Saturday. We've basically exported everything for five days. We come home and need to do washing etc and immediately need to pull in from the grid.

I'm not too pushed on battery size tbh. Just something cheap and cheerful to take in some of the excess.

We could possibly add another 5 or 6 panels but the sun really only gets around to that side of the house for 6 or 7 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I spent a lot of time early days when i was looking at the math behind all the solar variables. For sure batteries are worthwhile. Ideally if you have the skills a DIY battery is ideal, but that's not for everyone, and for some people I know ... they should NEVER be let near a 3pin plug, let alone a battery bank!!

The biggest problem you have is that when you sit down and work it out, you just will find it hard to recoup your outlay. A simple quick way to think about it is to place a nominal price of €0.25 on a unit of electricity. So a fully charged 5Kwhr battery charged from the sun will hold about €1.25 worth of electricity. However, we have to knock off 10% for losses in getting the energy out of the lithium (I'll be generous with that, it could be more).......so let's say that you battery holds about €1.10

Now if you pay say €4000 for the battery, that's €4000/(1.10) cycles that you have to do to break even, or 3636 cycles, and with 365 days a year, that's 10 years. However, you mentioned that you are away some days, so.....you won't be cycling it every day, and of course not every day is sunny, so when you factor that in......it's unlikely you'll ever make your money back.

(That's a bit of a simplistic model - it's not as doom/gloom as that as in winter you can help offset the cost with night rate power and then use that during the day......but honestly I'd say you'd struggle to get your money back in 20 years).

Now if you had some more panels, that would be different.....

Cheers BD. Very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Charging the batteries at a cheap night rate during the winter, and using them during the day is great.

The price of electricity is going through the roof. Store it if you can imo.

Probably deviating a little away from the "Daily PV production", but 100% agree with you 6. I do that strategy myself - and it is great. The issue with LimerickCity though is that with him being away for sometimes days at a time, he's not there to "cycle" the battery and take advantage of the captured energy, so the payback timeline is long as he's missing out on those days. Now to be clear, you will eventually get break even, but it's a hard slog, probably 15-20 years or so. Might be better ways to spend €3,000 ? Double glazing, insulation in the attic, etc. dunno.

A small battery (2.4Kwhr) would be all I'd do.... at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I wasn't there when he called, but I think the grid settings were incorrect on the inverter itself, was not set to correct setting and parameters were too low on the setting it was on. Must check same tomorrow.

35.7KW on Friday on the 7.8kw panels, best since install in Dec.

• Advertisement

The house is currently A3 rated mated. Brought it from C3 through various upgrades over the years.

I was thinking of a battery in the 1k to 2k range if one exists.

Just galling watching the electricity flow back to the grid.

I think that's the bane of everyone's life here. Best trick for you is to save power hungry tasks as much as possible for lunchtime. Or if your going out for the day (and you know it's sunny) arrange the washing machine/dishwasher to start at 12:00 noon. Most washing machines/dishwasher/tumble dryers have a "Delay" button on the panel. I never gave much though to it until I got a day/night meter - great little feature.

You can load up the machine at 8am as you leave for work and then "Delay" it for say 4hrs to come on at 12:00 noon, and use as much of your generation as you can. Ultimately, you'll end up exporting something.....it's just the nature of the beast, but you can do a few things which help cut down your export.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I'm going to put in a monster day today.......for early march that is! 😁

Sunset here 18:20 so I expect a good few post around that time with everybody else's epic numbers as well!

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Do you get to use a lot of the production, I see that you don't have a battery(neither do I) can you get some production into an EV?

I have to look seriously at getting a battery.

At the moment I am only using about 40-50% of it and that takes a bit of work using washing machines, working from home so use the showers during the days etc but thankfully I have the missus on board now and have her set up so on the Home Assistant app so she can see when we are pumping out the kW and what we are using. I am only a few months into it and didn't realize how much excess I will have coming into the spring summer.

To be honest the only thing I can see that will use the excess I am generating is an EV. So I just ordered an EV a couple of weeks ago (ID4) so hopefully this will soak up every bit I have, I have a PCP with VW that was due for renewal so it has worked out perfectly for me. I might touch 40 kWh today so no size battery will absorb that apart from an EV battery.

So far today I have only used 30% of my PV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You can setup a notification to your phone with home assistant so that if you're exporting above x kW for some period of time you'll know.

Even with an EV you will probably still export most of the year, if you're driving the EV during the day you're not charging it and if it's at home two days in a row it'll still be full from the previous day.

Can home assist work with solis invertor ? Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

170kWh for all of February, 70kWh from 5 days so far in March.

Finished out with 38 kWh, thought I would break 40. It didn't reach its max of 6.1kW as I think there must have been some high level clouds or something. Anyway a good day. Exported most of it unfortunately

Yes it can but all it does is scrape the data off the Ginlong website, its a HACS integration so there is a bit more to it but if I can do it then you should be able to. If you look at the thread on this forum for PV automation some of the lads here are reading the inverter directly using MODBUS. Its above my paygrade though. Although I use the HA to scrape the data I now use a ShellyEM to read my PV output as this gives data live and a lot more detail. The HACS integration is only every 5 mins or so.

Using the the ShellyEM I can then use Grafana to do fancy charts as it all ties in neatly, here is todays energy usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hope I don't sound like a cheeky prick here but why install a big system if you're going to export most of it?

Have you plans for battery storage or an EV?

• Advertisement

After seeing ECO's 38 Kwhr, I feel somewhat inadequate with my "meager" 13.1 Kwhr.....even if it's an all time record for me :-)

Started out such a nice clear sky day, then some altocumulus clouds came in and ruined my curves. I've yet (in 5 months) to get 1 single day which has a smooth curve. Ohh well, tomorrow looks like it could even be better. Perhaps that's the day I get to see perfection!?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Another great day from 6.9!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

29kwh today, every sunny day is a new record for the year so far. Only got the system last May so these months are all unknown.

106kwh in March so far, in other words better than all of December 😁

I started using electric radiators around the house to soak some of that excess but still managed to export 5kws today. I even heated the hell the out of my shed, just because.

40.6kw generated today on the 7.8kw panels, new record for this setup.

No problem at all! well I originally specified 3 kWp when I tendered and specified building my house. But then reading this sub here during the build process people were saying the cost of the actual panels itself it not the expensive part really and add as much as you can. Since I already had scaffolding up and the rafters were exposed it wasn't that much extra to add another 3 kWp €2700 (inc VAT) My total system is around €6900.

I don't have a battery and don't plan to get one the payback from again people on this forum isnt that great. I have ordered an EV and should take delivery around June, so I am hoping that will soak up a good bit of my excess. I have planned for an EV as well in my house in that I have two feeds from my consumer unit (and 2 CAT6 cables) to two isolators on an external wall ready for the EV charger.

To be honest I didn't realise I would have this much excess but as you can see here my two lads came back from training and had 2 big LONG showers and my HP can go up to 4-5 kW when heating the water and my PV will cover that.

Also I will be making a fortune selling back to the grid when the FIT comes in later this year!!!!🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

63.3kWh today, things are ramping up fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

4 kWp split 1/3 SE 2/3 SW. Clouds across the day and then neighbouring houses/trees bringing it down later but still early days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Solid 23.1kWh today, despite some clouds. Had enough surplus to meet all of the house's heating requirements too using plug-in radiators. No Russian gas for us! 🇺🇦

Advertisement