Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

@mp3guy is permanently ramped up.... 😁 he has 16 kWp installed. You should check out the PVStats website @harderthanf built it for us, it has everybody's system size and their monthly data on there. Very useful to compare and contrast systems.

Jesus he is pushing out 1500 kWh during the summer I only realized

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I'll be cracking that this year, my export would cap out at 3kW last year due to voltage problems, it's working up to 6kW now after fixing things. Also have a slightly bigger EV battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Any recommendations for plug in radiators?

Great option for days like today when there was excess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just a assortment of dumb oil radiators and fan heaters. I have them connected to Kasa smart plugs to allow control through Home Assistant. Make sure you are using decent smart plugs rated for 13A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I was about to ask the same thing. I have an old oil rad connected to a smart plug but I wouldn't mind getting a few more.

Oil is savagely priced and in winter I'd go through 400+ litres a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

I have a converter heater drying clothes in spare room via tp/tapo smart plug bought on Amazon (4 off) 30euro I think. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

Only have PV since the start of the year (6.84kwh) but it's already changing our usage habits to maximise usage.

We aren't due to change a car for another year or three (f all milage put on the last 2 years) and weren't planning on an EV for that change. However already 'exported' 35kw in March ( have an old type meter that goes backwards,😏 but that won't last forever), so it's definitely on the radar now.

If we changed the 'home' car mainly used for the school/shop runs, that does only approx 350km a month, we could potentially be able to run it for free from Mar-Oct with the excess.

Though I am already planning on using the summer (May-Aug) excess to heat water via the Eddi, in lieu of oil as I wouldn't have the soild fuel stove lit during those months.

Will see how the summer goes with the water and will re-evaluate all then.

Biggest dilema if we did get an EV would be, does the free solar kWh that goes into it, count towards the payback of the PV or the car 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sorry if you already have it in hand, but in case not, it might be worth picking up a small dehumidifier for that room as well to prevent damp. We used to dry clothes in the house before getting a drier in the outbuilding, and had a few issues with damp. Mostly cleared now but we got a dehumidifier before xmas and it's more or less ckeared up the problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

March for sure has come in with a bang, let's hope it holds up. Lambing and spring planting coming up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Been cracking march here. Over 30kwh generated on 3 of the 5 days and today shaping up as another great one. Unfortunately from Tuesday on weather looks really poor here

Dehumidifiers are great for drying clothes indoors Way better than a heater, Most even have a clothes drying mode.

The difference between NE/SW aspects today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Not a perfect curve but just sneaked to top spot yesterday. I'd say we will have half of Februarys generation done in the first week of March.

Like others we have a few oil/electric radiators running on smart plugs and even at that we are probably using about half the production. Will look to pick up another one or two if we see them.

ion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

24.1kWh today, comprised of;

9kWh electric radiator

2.5kWh EV

4kWh eddi

4.5kWh battery charging

3.5kWh other house consumption

0.6kWh exported

Another good day tomorrow. Not sure how we're going to use it all. 😂

Have herself on board now with the no gas initiative though, so we'll see how long we last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

21.5kWh here, pumped 12kWh into the battery, plenty of washing & drying, about 2kWh into the car and 1kWh into the Eddi. Zero export.

Total grid purchase of 7kWh which was overnight including about 1.5kWh into the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

38.2 kw generated today, exporting too much 20kw , might have to look into the humidifier or electric rad option until an ev is realistic addition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

What size is your array vs battery ? Today was a weekend but would an EV be home during the peak solar hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Another record day today, 26.6 from 6.1kw system. However ended up exporting almost 8kw which was frustrating as I had left the ev plugged into the zappi at home while out at a match nearby. When I got home I noticed the zappi was saying "charger delayed" even though it was charging when I left from excess solar in eco+ mode. No timer set on car app which would have stopped it? Only way to get it to restart charging was to unplug the cable and plug back in again and it worked fine. Anyone else have this issue with the zappi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

7.8 KW Panels - 5KW Puredrive battery - would have gone bigger with battery, but cost was prohibitive. We are only using PV for 3 months, so adjusting slowly to same. EV would be around the house for a lot of the time, but probably another yr at least b4 purchase. New hot water cylinder is next, will use a bit of the excess up and is needed anyway.

Great day yesterday cracking the 40kWh mark, still exporting and playing around with options to use up more excess.

Seems the 6.3-6.4kW is the plateau for the system.

My wife has 40kw leaf.

The scenario :

Batteries 100%, sun shining yesterday, house only consumer 600 w approx

EV plugged in and eco plus plus..car starts charging, but I notice that batteries are exporting to the zappi ? I thought for some reason that the ev would only take 1.4kw and above if the arrays where producing

I have myenergi set up in pic below,,maybe I'm missing something ??

I get these issues as well and have been playing around with the Zappi settings.

It seems that setting an 'Export Margin' can help and to set it to 'Avoid Drain', these are both under advanced settings on the Zappi. You might have to increase the export margin to see what works.

Get this issue with an ID3 and the Zappi, seems to occur when a cloud rolls over and the production drops and then starts up again quite quickly which the EV thinks is a supply issue.

I think adjusting the stop/start delay timers should help although I haven't changed these yet although I keep meaning to.

I find is this happens when we are out I will stop the charge in the myenergi app, restart the charge in the id3 app and then go back to the myenergi app and put it back in eco+ mode which generally sorts everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Savage few days. Managed to get both EVs up to 100% (from around 39% and 60%) which will do me, considering what I'd be paying for diesel otherwise. Loads of washing and drying at the right time took up the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dont get sucked into paying €40k for a car to save yourself €40 a month :)

Advertisement