Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,676 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Who says so? anything I read pretty much says the opposite.

Any link to France backing down?

A lot of French companies seem to be suspending business.

The most recent things from them all seem to be around encouraging their citizens to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

That's the point I made exactly. I said take 500m out at the front and rear and the rest are fcuked. They can't drive into the fields as they'll sink and they can't go forwards or back. Leave them there to pick off at your leisure or just attack the fuel truck when it arrives. A lad 5km away with a javelin could control the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,676 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Given the huge volumes of shady money from Russians in the conservative party...as well as the same in Brexit funding...not surprising they are trying to distance themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

The talking heads on the press review on BBC seem convinced that Ukraine will lose. Admittedly I don't know what their qualifications are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably because, at the end of the day, Russia does have a huge amount of troops and equipment it can still call in.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The UK appears to be very much on the sidelines at the minute. Apart from some internal mumblings about them allowing the Oligarchs time to move their assets abroad before they come down on them, they haven't really appeared to be getting any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ecospace

Post edited by ecospace on

Jimmy told me down the pub. I think that's what he said though as he was fair pi$sed. Then again, he's always pi$sed

• Advertisement

Yeah, ultimately I'd imagine that is sadly what decides it. The losses will be staggering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That reads like a Russia threatening to shoot down passenger planes and blame terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think they have imposed the fewest sanctions among the west. Last chart I remember seeing was like a dozen individuals vs the EU with 400+.

Not to take away from the all the intelligence and arms they have been supplying Ukraine.

I keep getting hopeful that the Ukrainians will force the Russians back or something but it is just magical thinking I guess. They just aren't well enough armed to fight off so many Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well sure that's, literally, "whataboutery", because something like that goes no further. But attempting to understand how we are where we are and why it has gotten to this point, coupled with the acknowledgement of precedent that has come before the present events is not.

I would draw the line at people using the "whataboutery" card to simply dismiss uncomfortable facts however.

Anyway, it doesn't really appear that we have much of a disagreement here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's it,

And think of this actually one man can carry 3 Javelins at a time ,3 men can single handledly take out 9 tanks in a few minutes and leave the area fairly quickly ,

Seen another post on Twitter showing a Ukrainian voleenteer collecting a night vision scope while others were collecting thermal imaging scopes so the Ukrainians have the ability to fight day or night and and still hold an advantage

If they have any of that intelligence left over, can they give it to their own politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

From the scrap yard?

Theres no evidence of russian having sufficient stores of operational equipment.

In fact they are shipping ancient stuff from the east coast across Russia by rail.

Theres a pervasive narrative that Russia has hundreds of thousands of everything because Russia is so big. The reality is they don't. Small numbers of operational gear. Very underfunded and extremely underfunded maintenance and back up.

• Advertisement

Sure people are still waiting for the Russian Report from the UK!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well kinda J. Unless we're talking about neutron bombs which are pretty much designed to render an area uninhabitable while leaving much of the surrounding area intact(yeah, some fcukwits came up with that, for no good reason save for fcukwittery) nuclear bombs aren't as 'bad' as something like Chernobyl going rogue. Yes you have major initial spikes in radiation, but it dies off pretty quickly, because the reaction itself 'burns' off most of the radioactive material. Before the ban on atmospheric testing we were setting them off on the regular. Reactors going rogue add much more into the equation. After all Nagasaki and Hiroshima are large thriving urban centres today and were from a few years after rebuilding and the bombs. Yes there were effects from those detonations, but Fukushima is worse in many ways and a lot more long lasting. Chernobyl won't be a thriving urban centre any time soon. Like for centuries. If it had gotten into the groundwater and blew up even more(as they feared) most of Belarus and much of Ukraine would be an exclusion zone. And those effects would have travelled farther on the winds and caused cancers and other nasties, screwing up a fair bit of Europe.

All politics West and East is corrupt thats one thing for sure and I trust neither but I am baffled how weak the West and NATO really are when it involves Russia,

A large majority of the world and the 'West and NATO' have already taken them on with some of the most punitive sanctions in world history and did so in a matter of days, hours in some cases. And are supplying Ukraine with weapons and intel and widespread humanitarian support. Now(and no this isn't the usual whataboutery, it's to illustrate the differences) compare and contrast the level of support or sanction when Iraq, Georgia, Chechnya or Afghanistan were invaded. Hell, look to Yemen today and for the last, what five years? It's being pummelled and nary a word on Western telly, or the interwebs. IIRC 20,000 dead and countless more displaced. If I were darker of skin, I'd be forgiven for thinking the 'World" only seems to wake up when White people are killing and dying in Europe. More than wake up, they as Americans might say "lose their shít" and with remarkable speed too.

its like they feel like they can't take on this Superpower in the fear they will lose.

Oh for God's sake. It's not a fear of losing or winning. It's a fear of massive escalation getting way out of hand and world changing, even extinction level event if all the buttons were pushed. Losing or winning could kick off the same result.

People talking about starting WW3 I think this has already started and history will repeat itself again.

Actually I would say 911 was the start of WW3, but it's somewhat simmered down of late. If anything this is WW4. Though I don't believe it is. Yet. IMHO it's a phoney war. A Cuban missle crisis on our doorstep and a return to the proxy wars between the US and the USSR in the 20th century.

There will soon be genocide in Ukraine and will the world watch as it happens? Are you OK if there is genocide committed in Ukraine and nobody intervenes?

Please, please look up the word 'genocide'. It isn't what you appear to think it means. Genocide is not happening in Russia's misadventure in Ukraine.

There has been the sniff of it in the Donbas alright. Where it's kinda like Northern Ireland in the Troubles only on steroids and methamphetamines. Where(to continue the comparison) the Irish and the British were supporting and supplying their 'side'. To carry it further Donbas is more 'Loyalist'(to Russia) than 'Nationalist'(to Ukraine). To labour the comparison even further, the war in Ukraine today would be like the British invading Ulster in the Troubles to "protect their own' as their claimed aim, but who then went to invade further and seek to take Dublin, Cork, Galway, get rid of the standing Dail unless they were 'Loyalist' in tendencies and put in a London controlled puppet government. And the World lost their shít, and rightfully so, but didn't dig too deep into the whys, or excuses if you're Putin. Like barstool Irish-Americans in the 1970's waxing lyrical and ignorantly on the Republican struggle 'back home'. "Top o' the mornin' to ya, laddy boy. Have some Lucky Charms and a fiver for de' cause". This has been brewing for a long while and it's a lot more complex than flag avatars and blind rhetoric on all sides.

What do the UN actually do if they can't intervene because of political agendas?

Involve themselves, compromise, sanction, support, to talk and try to de-escalate and peacekeep if and when they can. What they were designed to do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Visa/MasterCard thing might be a bit of a blessing for Vlad. They have a similar card system called Mir in Russia. It's linked to the central bank. Now it will be easier to snoop into what people are buying with their cards.

Russians won't be able to buy stuff abroad though. Not that they can right now anyway.

They really are going right back to Soviet times.

Jaysus lads, I withdraw some of my praise of US Intelligence, the Russians did it all in the open and for everyone to see online. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

That's why Russia needs to unload the old missiles before they sent in the fodder. Grozny style.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And hard cash being half a stone of rubles to buy naggin of vodka!

I hope the shithole of a country goes down the tubes and stays there for a long time.

Is Mir a credit or debit card?

I'd imagine loosing access to quick credit via a Visa/Mastercard credit card would hurt more than a debit card, especially in light of how their economy is going. You could cut off Americans debit cards and they probably wouldn't notice, cut off their credit cards and they would be fucked!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

The Ukrainians would be better off shooting Russian mechanics than Russian soliders at this stage and the war would be over in a week. It an army of antique equipment with some decent new stuff sprinkled throughout but not enough to win a full scale war.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Won't happen. It has to much resources for anyone to let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Rereading the Visa/MC announcement it doesn't appear to exclude Russian issued cards from being used within Russia, at least on reading the Visa statement

Bit of ambiguity in their statements

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement