Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curious Case of Violet-Anne Wynne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If Violet Anne did try and reignite a career later on you would find the same people would tell you she is too old. I am amazed that someone would come out wit a comment, sorry actually not amazed as it's just a way to stop saying something critical of Sinn Fein. I very much hope this person doesn't actually think like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree there should be more women in the Dail. Where I disagree with you is women with young children. Women simply cannot work a 7 day job and also be a mother to young children. Thats reality!

All of my friends would rather be at home with their children than having to go out to work. We have discussed this many times

But a man can? cop on to yourself. It's getting embarrassing now

I love the made up story to try back up your sexist attitude. Quick hint, do not say anything like this in public or you won't have many friends at all.

A job she is totally overwhelmed by. Add to that an unplanned pregnancy. A baby arriving 4 weeks early, in an ambulance at the roadside. She is totally out of her depth and not getting the support needed from her bosses.

The issue here is the support from her party/bosses. Instead of trying to help the woman they decide to mental abuse her and drive her out of the party. That is the problem.

A woman should never have to quit her job because she is having a baby.

If this was my company, the person who made the comment would be fired on the spot. I mean fired, everything taken off them and walked out the door never to return

Then the manager would be fired plus a whole HR review to find out why the woman was treated like this. The best Sinn Fein could say, well we tried to give her a laptop.

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree. Any decent HR manager would ensure that all new employees have proper induction and access to necessary equipment and services. She was failed by her party. I hope that she continues as a TD, because I believe that she has a lot to offer, not least from lessons learned since she was put on the ballot paper.

Your so out of touch with reality.

The truth is what most women want is to at home with their kids instead of having to work. Most women hate going back to work after maternity leave but have to go back for financial reasons.

No they don't, I have plenty of friends who don't have to return because of money. They have a career and it's just as important as everyone else's

It is a great deflection by the way from the Sinn Fein story. Go down some rabbit hole about women working from home. If you want to discuss if a woman should/shouldn't work from home after children I suggest you start a thread and see what reaction you get. This is about Violet Anne and Sinn Fein bullying her.

I see the usual SF supporters are online now across social media and calling VAW all sorts of disgusting names. The whole party from top to bottom sinks and this is just another story which proves it. Instead of looking into the issue, like every other party would do, they have gone on a full on character assassination on the woman. Too stupid to see that Sinn Fein knew all about her when they put her forward.

To me I don't like the person politics, I think from day 1 she should have donated the money she owed the charity to any charity to get rid of the story but this carry on is terrible and nobody deserves it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh tbh it doesn't look any worse than the political bitchiness and shennanigans that go on in any local branch of any party, one the most cut throat environments on the planet.

The RSF stuff is just bizarre tbh,

I agree with others, she seemed out of her depth.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I never said anything about you being sexist.

I just asked you would you tell Violet Anne Wynne to visit any other career when her children were older if she wasn't a TD. Why can't her partner/the father of her children quit his job and return back to it when they're older?

She's elected by the people of Clare. If she wants to continue that career that is up to her and nobody should have the right to judge her if she does so. That also goes for anyone who judged her for getting pregnant and looking for maternity leave.

Oh and btw, I'm not a fan of hers whatsoever. I just think it sends out a horrible message to any woman who wants to get involved in politics.

No, I don't need to work for anyone, I would know people in all political party's. They are, when things go wrong especially, one of the most cut throat environments of ego's and ambition you could possibly find.

And like when a partnership between brothers or sisters unravels, it can be very bitter. with claim and counter claim, recrimination after recrimination, both sides needing to emerge with face and a chance of continuing from where they left off.

Ahh the "I know someone...."

If this was a one off, but this is another in a long long line of bullying issues in Sinn Fein.

Sends an awful message to women in Ireland that if they get pregnant it is acceptable to Sinn Fein to force them out of their jobs, what is worse their supporters seem to think the same.

Worrying times in Ireland if this is what we have to look forward to with a Sinn Fein led government

'Encouraging women into politics' has been an issue here since Independence, across all parties it is at the low 20 percentile.

Looking at the data, SF have female leaders in both jurisdictions while the power swap have never had a female leader and FG seem to be the party with the biggest problem attracting them followed by FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I take great enjoyment in the fact that many of the usual crew are now turning on VAW when some months back, they were her biggest cheerleader and defender.

It's happening across all social media. "loola" etc are all been fired out by Sinn Fein supporters. It seems the plan is attack the victim

No not a deflection at all. I dont agree with how Sinn Fein treated her - they didnt seem to support her in anyway which was wring.

Does your friends have 6 young children by the way.

What was the 'plan' with the OP and initial pile-on of this thread? 😁 Please note, I wasn't involved in it.

I think any woman who has 6 small children would struggle to work in any job let alone work as a TD. Lots of women with small children take a few years out of their career when they have small kids. Ultimately I do believe she will resign for family reasons and I wouldn't blame her. Feminism is about supporting women at lifes various stages - it shouldn't be about forcing women to feel they can do it all when the reality is they are exhausted trying to do all that's expected. I feel Violet was struggling with juggling it all

I think she could have alot too offer in a few years time.

• Advertisement

At least we have the views of some of the original posters on this thread as to whether she is fit or should remain in politics or maybe they have changed their minds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Can't understand how she's not an FG Minister by now, thought O'Donovan was going to fastrack he admittance,get her the once over from Dinny and have her installed in a ministerial position by last Friday,

how many times have you posted about her joining FG?

Still have zero relevance if she did/didn't to her getting bullied out of Sinn Fein

Not sure why you think that is relevant?

VAW got the votes and was a TD. The only people worth talking about is the member of Sinn Fein who seem to think bullying her out of the party is ok.

Correction: the only people worth talking about are the ones you want to talk about.

There is nothing that went on that I can see that amounts to 'bullying', if it was 'bullying' then political shennanigans and oneup'person'ship is bullying and I and anyone else would be considered a loon if we suggested that.

None of what went on reflects well on anyone here tbh, but perspective is required.

Once again the import of actual bullying is diminished by those happy enough to demean and denigrate themselves if it suits a political agenda. Yourself included, in respect of a journalist doing her job.

I think she suffered from lack of support from her party rather than bullying. She is obviously totally out of her depth. I actually feel sorry for her. Rearing one child while working full time is difficult enough. Rearing 6, plus a husband/partner with health issues, while having to travel to the opposite side of the country a number of days a week would stretch the strongest person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You are just making up stuff. The only hypocrisy here are you lads after spending years having castigated the woman. All anyone did was call out your mysogny and blind hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As always, Francie, you are misreading the room.

The issue here isn't whether or not she is a suitable candidate, something which has nothing to do with whether she is a woman. That was all addressed at the time of her election, and the usual posters were out defending her in numbers, yet it is noticeable that the original posters who criticised her selection never descended into misogyny.

Now, whether or not a poster criticised her selection as a candidate has nothing to do with the misogynistic bullying that she was subject to in Sinn Fein. No woman should be called an "effin eejit" for an unexpected pregnancy. In my opinion, those who have tried to defend that as harmless banter are guilty of supporting misogyny and prolonging such outdated attitudes to women. We even had one poster who was so lacking in understanding of misogyny that he defended the bullying as not being misogyny because it was a woman who made the remarks. A little bit of self-reflection from those who have defended Sinn Fein on this issue is more than overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is a world of difference between legitimate criticism of the suitable of a candidate, male of female, for public office and misogynistic bullying from her party colleagues. I would only criticise the latter.

But hey, what an anonymous internet poster says is so much more important than the misogynistic actions of the Sinn Fein party.

Misogyny cannot be judged unless we know the context...neither of us do. End of, on that handy little label you like to lash around and devalue, again and again.

At least there are some honest posters here who can see that this is not an automatic case of bullying for those with a political agenda since the thread was opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just calling out that the pattern seems to be:

1. SF does something sh*tty
    2. Posters try and defend SF by saying FG would do the same
    3. FG haven't done the same
    4. SF does something else sh*tty
    5. Go to 2

This is also usually accompanied by some very simplistic language after the posters were proven wrong, with a repost of the original whataboutery with "simple as" or something similar at the end.

The questions I have is why FG, FF and other parties seem to be off limits right now.

We can call it the "SF whataboutery circle for simpletons" or "SF circle" for short, feel free to call it out when it happens next.

Advertisement