Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the Trump v Biden talk.

Believe me, I'd prefer to see you "right" than me- - and see my other post, I never disagreed with sanctions.

it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Putin is obviously anxious about keeping the Russian population on his side- hence the closing of independent media outlets and his relentless propaganda campaign internally.

Can I ask you, IF there was some sort of negotiations and peace deal, do you honestly think that the oligarchs will get their money back? It's likely this money will be diverted to the humanitarian aid crisis for Ukrainians - so at this stage, what motivations do the oligarchs have for ending this? They're still screwed -the sanctions have done that and even with a peace agreement, the revenue investigations will tie up their billions for investigation for many years to come. If they've managed to escape to some island paradise with no extradition treaties (which many have) and take what money they have with them, that might be the best their lives will experience from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's, literally, millions of Russians who already live in great hardship and have done for many, many, years. Long before Putin got to the Kremlin. They are the people who live outside of the main western urban areas like St. Petersburg, Moscow or Volgograd. Sanctions to them will probably mean very little. Who's in power means very little to them also.

In the short term, it'll be the average urbanite in the cities that will feel the pinch first as items will become harder and harder to get hold of and the power of their money continues to drop. But we'd be fooling ourselves if we think that the Russian people are just going to suddenly rise up against Vlad's rule. They have a long history of being able to put up with bad leadership and hardship. In living memory they have been through deprivation.

Maybe the younger folk, who have never known anything other than the last 25 years might be the first to move. But it'll take longer than we might think.

The thing is, the sanctions have to be consistent and they have to stay the course. But even now we see that the likes of Shell will talk a big game, but they still made the "tough decision" to by Russian goods anyway and once this has all blown over, I've no doubt that they and many others wagging their fingers will just go back to business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The back pedalling is starting already.

Yeah I don't get this- how are they spies and "celebrated" at the same time? The news reports don't seem to provide any clarity on this. And to have 3 people as part of your negotiating team as spies? My god, that's not good.

• Advertisement

The oligarchs may not get all their money back, but at least they'll get a very close approximation of their fancy lives back if Putiin walks into a pointy umbrella.

I'm totally confused by this. If I were on the negotiations team I'd be far more afraid of Russian reprisals, unless he was trying to be very pro Russia offer.

I agree. And also, let's not forget there are people related to Ukrainians living outside of Russia in places like Moldova, who at least were in denial that there was a full on war in Ukraine. Whether these people are slowly changing their minds, i don't know but it shows you just what the ukrainian people are up against, in terms of achieving some support from their fellow citizens, both inside and outside Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The smaller punisher drones that the Ukrainians are using are apparently having good success. Undetectable by radar also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That was almost 30 years ago before social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ukraine's internal politics are very complex and wars have a nasty habit of things spilling over into old scores being settled. A Ukrainian politican with Russian loyalties has already been snatched, convicted of treason in a kangaroo court and executed in a matter of hours, body dumped on the street. As the days and weeks roll on I fear we'll see more of this kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

US/NATO/EU moving serous amount of kit into Ukraine, WP reporting 14 wide-body jets landing per day to deliver Javelins, Stingers, etc

Seeing a lot of reports that Belarus military ordered units into Ukraine last week but there was chaos, military units fleeing, orders disobeyed, etc.

Initial reports suggested he was feeding information to the Russians and was therefore summarily executed by the SBU. However the Ukranians would surely not have celebrated him and offered condolences to his family if that was the case. (unless of course they were trying to deflect responsibility).

In any case it's an odd development, attempts to get closer to the truth are probably futile. The confirmed details are that he was shot dead and he was definitely a delegation member.

Seems a lot of foreign fighters have volunteered to fight in Ukraine, up to 3,000 Americans have signed up apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think, reading between the lines, this is part of the off ramp from the war for Russia.

Have Ukraine sign meaningless anti nuclear weapon pledge, get neutrality and claim that this is the great victory with the Russian people.

It's a clever parachute actually.

Expect to hear a lot more about Ukraine's dastardly nuclear threat and negotiations on it in coming days.

And also, one thing that struck me this week- Zelenskyy's attack on NATO , telling them essentially that they have blood on their hands if they don't implement the no-fly zone, I don't think went down well. I can understand someone who's in a war situation, wanting as much help as they think is possible, but it's shown me that one wrong move from the leadership of Ukraine, could see a turn in public support.

Continuing supporting them with weapons, especially drones, may well be the only thing we can do at present in terms of direct involvement on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When people say invest in the armed forces, this is the type of stuff you'd invest in.

There's no point in fighter jets if your airfields are bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One of the commentaries floated earlier that Putin wanted to expand Russia into a new Empire as his legacy. After this invasion and war on another sovereign nation that legacy is now in tatters like the reputation of the Russian armed forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One wonders how many of those are on "extended leave" from their "day jobs" 😉

The signs were there when the Russian navy retreated from the Cork/Kerry fishermen. 😉

Indeed, however these smaller drones are limited to only lighter ordinance, and Russia will adapt, but they are definitely viable and if Ua start using them in numbers could have an impact. The larger Turkish drone is doing extraordinary damage to Russian armor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Might be explained by Ukrainian paramilitaries executing him for treason/score settling off their own bat, not with direct knowleded or approval from the Ukrainian government. To cover themselves the official line is coming out confused.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Still no solid info on that convoy up the north

1. It's a diversion from the Southern attack?
    2. They genuinely got bogged down in the mud and had fuel issues
    3. It's a staging area for the encirclement of Kyiv?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

I read somewhere there's around 16,000 foreign nationals who 'signed up' to join the Ukrainian resistance, french/german/polish/britsh/american etc.

I think Zelensky's call for 'people around the world to come and assist' was an orchestrated play to bring in NATO special forces disguised as mercenaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Imagine if Ireland was invaded by Britain. And an Taoiseach was watching his people, his friends, his loved ones die in a stupid conflict. Imagine 1 million people had to flee the country. What would you expect him to say? Meaningless diplomatic rhetoric? Ukraine is being ripped to shreds by Russia. Of course he is going to call out the foreign powers when this is happening.

It is challenging for the West to intervene because people seem more concerned about their own local concerns than people that they have never met dying. The DailyMail readers in their comments don’t want to get involved in the conflict in any way. And when the war is over and the history recorded, those readers will find a way to take the moral high ground

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement