Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Gone up to a fiver here for Guinness and Smithwicks up from €4.50, dont mind paying for it because the Guinness is after getting very very good and popular there over the last year there. Said id go wild and have a fag last night went out the door and the little bag was pulled out i politely declined but was met with puzzled looks as too why i wasnt having any as everybody takes it these days.

Better living everyone

Not sure if this is news or not, but I believe the recent stocking rate issue, the downgrading of stock in terms of livestock unit value and it's relationship to livestock limits for schemes has mostly been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone know where I would get a set of stone wedges /feathers and wedges in Wexford /Leinster area?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah been looking online but Amazon says it can’t deliver to my address and the other websites are like 2 weeks delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

God be with the days when everyone would sip pints and chat. Now they're off there tits on all sorts and there is no talking to them. Met a lad I used to haul silage with 20 years ago and he was saying he was doing a bit of silage recently but there was no craic like we used to have. Everyone on their phones. I remember being told the crew slightly before my time all parking up at the pub during a long draw on a steaming hot day. The boss man drove the harvester back the road only to be greeted by a couple of glasses in the air!

For sure, i reckon im a rare breed around these parts for snjoying a few pints and the craic and tis not just the lads out of school at it too one fella would be around the 40 mark here at it as well. The worst thing is people assume im mad to polish off a bag because i was down under. One fella really pressed me to take a bump last night and i wouldnt know him from Adam, it just goes back to the insecurity in the mind of an addict and it makes them feel better to bring someone else down to their level.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My Local has a no technology night each Tuesday in Feb. No phones, tv, radio…. One lad wanted a record player going and Twas refused,lights out, candles and fire only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Either try English version of Amazon.de or open an An Post AddressPal. An Post will be €6.50 per transaction fee. When package arrives at Irish customs - An Post will text you with amount VAT owed plus €3.50 handling charge. Amazon.de would be your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Just looked at your item link on amazon.uk, says it is shipped from US. An Post US AddressPal way to go. Same T&C's with AnPost. It's €16.50 delivery charge from US with AnPost

Amazon.com will deliver to Ireland, either way, customs will charge VAT. AnPost will possibly be faster and cheaper delivery

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The latvian guy that was found dead in one of our parish's apartments in january is being buried this week, The guards contacted his relations through his phone and they wanted nothing to do with him, so between the parish and the undertaker we're putting a funeral together, it's a shame when it goes to that but I suppose it's happening every where. Social welfare is subsidising it too. Undertaker asked me to try to have two men there to help them lower the coffin, so sad. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was at a game last night were an ambulance had to be called. This was on a back pitch at our local club. Dispatcher asked the eircode. The eircode is on a sign on the club house a good bit away . Might be an idea for clubs to have it on a sign on all pitches

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭I says

As I always say why would you put something up your nose that has been swallowed and or puked up or shitted out of someone( maybe more than once)Thats the reality it’s not narcos on Netflix kids.

Was talking to a woman yesterday, she has to have been on something. She's about my age but it's the first time the thought crossed my mind that someone was on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

She's a bit old then for that kinda carry on. 😜. I think myself that idleness is the biggest cause of half that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

I couldn’t agree more on that. It’s idle minds and idle hands that’s going to be one of the biggest problems to overcome in the future. There’s far too many lads, and women!, in their teens and 20’s that have never had to do an ounce of work in their lives but think that they’re wore out from work and “pressure” and need to take drugs to relax.

Im not saying this as some sort of auld lad that thinks he was hard done by and no one else works as hard as our generation or anything like that but from talking to people, employers etc. It’s impossible to get young lads into building trades, farm jobs, agri contracting or any of that type of work now, everyone wants the clean technology job. I know the wages in farming or contracting might not entice lads but that’s not the case in the trades and they still can’t be got.

It’s also the reason there’s so much talk, and without trying to offend anyone, but a lot of it is s***e talk, about depression and so on. Don’t get me wrong, I know there are an awful lot of genuine and serious depression issues out there and people need support and help but there’s a large percentage of depression that could be solved by people reducing their technology use (says he using technology to make his point, yes I get the irony.) and going out and getting a job and not be waiting for everything to be handed to you. The feeling of accomplishment when you have a job, earn your money and take pride in your work will keep the hands and mind busy and solve a lot of depression issues. I don’t think all the high profile “celebrities” talking about their mindfulness degrees and so on are doing anything to help either. In my opinion the majority of them are making the problem worse by almost trying to convince everyone that if everything in your life isn’t running 100% perfectly then you must be depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Last line there is a fantastic summation. I actually worked in addiction services for a couple of years but left it behind because it was pulling me down myself looking at misery every day. There is a mental health industry after springing up over the last number of years. A lot of these people are directly coining it through mental health or selling the mental health ticket as free publicity for themselves. It would sicken you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭kk.man

Do you find these people are 'angry'?... seeing a lot more ppl angry for no reason..

Maybe it's my imagination

I just thought she was babbling on from one subject to another, just odd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Drug use is rampant among all age groups and backgrounds, last week in the canteen at work, a lad passed out from coke, employed as an engineer in his mid thirties, has since been fired, lads getting on the shuttle bus at 6.30 am stinking of weed, and I'm overhearing conversations most days about drug use, and lads on about spending 1500 on a weekend in the Dam. I think Carrolsno1 works in this place also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

If you teach your children to love cattle they will neither have the money or the time for drugs.

I know it's rampant but I never came across it in this country myself. It is causing alot of law and order issues also with people desperate for money. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

When people were drinking a few pints at night time in pubs in rural areas and driving home afterwards the government had to change the law . The se pubs are now either empty or closed

Now we have illicit drug use that is so common that it is affecting how a significant number of people behave in their interaction with others during the day . People whom you could expect to be solid are becoming aggressive / awkward/ looking for aggro over minor issues. It’s scary !

If its the same place as im thinking of i got out at the breakup before Christmas, is it any wonder drug use is rampant there really? Money for jam and the head wrecked from doing nothing plus the hardship of trying to get into the site. Sure all the talk in the canteen was about money where i was a sure sign lads were still living week to week even on those wages. Everyone said i was mad to jump ship at the time the main reasoning being youd never see money like it on any other site in Ireland i didnt leave for better money i left for my own wellbeing and havent had any regrets so far and i actually have more in the pocket on a smaller wage at the end of the week too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Fair play to you carrollsno1. Money is important but once you’ve enough for the simple things in life, there’s more to the rest of life than money after that.

Price of Diesel now wouldnt have a cent left from my lodge at the end of the week i reckon, was filling at least three times in a fortnight i filled last sunday evening and still not under half the tank used yet. If you do a small bit of overtime and the odd Saturday here and there with the new crowd you get the same wages as there with no commuting it was definitly a no brainer. I have 15-20 more hours/week to myself now too where im not commuting aswell an absolute gamechanger.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I was moved there in 2011 after spending the first 2 yrs of my apprenticeship on other jobs working with a different smaller team where we worked hard but had great craic. Near drove me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Eldest works on the building in Melbourne and he says that it's sorta expected to get a random alcohol and drug test especially on Monday's, Thursday's & Friday's.

Advertisement